Joely Is Considering An International Adoption

Joely Richardson, actress on the critically acclaimed drama Nip/Tuck, recently stated that she is considering adopting a child after visiting Malawi. Joely was in the birth country of Madonna’s adopted son, David, to help raise awareness about the lack of fresh water available in the impoverished country. Richardson said that she feels there is something missing in her life, and it’s another baby. While she has concerns about “doing a Madonna,” Joely said a new baby would be a welcome addition to her family,

“I would love to adopt. My daughter Daisy is a teenager and becoming self-reliant and I have a lot of friends who had adopted.”

Joely was deeply moved by the orphanages she visited while in Malawi,

Read more after the jump…

“I was almost in tears on a hospital visit because there were two or three babies to each cot, but I told myself that crying wouldn’t help anyone.”

The 42-year-old actress stated that her only concern with international adoption is whether it is “natural” to take a child out of it’s home country and natural environment.

Joely whose mother is actress Vanessa Redgrave, has always been private when it comes to her own 16 year-old daughter Daisy, from her marriage to film producer Tim Bevan whom she divorced in 2001.

Source: Closer magazine via the Daily Mail

Filed under: Joely Richardson

1. Amanda

thank you sooo sooo much for posting about Joely I was ssooo excited about seeing a new photo of Joely since we rarely see any of her!

2. Linda

Lots of celebrity’s are considering to adopt from Afrika these days.. why not from other countrys as well (kina,bangladesh,russia etc)? Or from your own country for that matter.

3. Dea

Wow she looks so much like her mother. I personally think it doesnt matter where you adopt, the main point is to help the child(children), is it not?

4. Linda

No, I agree with you. I just mean that its too much with adoptions from countrys far far away, the children have to change their ways of living if you know what I mean (?)
    And the celebritys are not promoting adoption, they are promoting adoption from Afrika.. Im probably overacting but It seems like that for me.

5. Dea

I agree on your point about red tape issue/child’s adjustment to new life etc if they were adopted from less developed countries such as Bangladesh, Cambodia etc but as far as the celebs promoting Africa may not be true (aside from Madonna who has her own agenda). Look at Angelina Jolie and Meg Ryan..they adopt because they want to.

6. Linda

Haha Maddona sure does have her own agenda. Well So far of those I know, Have adopted from Afrika. Besides Angelina Jolie and Meg Ryan. But Im not saying its a bad thing,I think its a god thing that they do adopt and maybe inspires regular people to adopt to, But for mee if feels like people always think of afrika as a poor country and thats where you chould adopt from. But of course thats just the picture I have gotten, and thats just personal.

7. Linda

*Madonna

8. Katrina

“regular” people seldom adopt, even from other countries becuaes it is EXTREMELY expensive. Tens of thousands of dollars are required to adopt, when there are so many kids stuck in foster homes. Its ridiculous and counter productive. if the monetary requirements were reduced, far more poeple would adopt. the requirements should simply be a stable home and work history