Angelina Jolie On Pregnancy, Past Confessions And More

Angelina Jolie On Pregnancy, Past Confessions And More

Angelina opens up about pregnancy sex, her past confessions and more in a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly. Angie wore the machine gun charm on her necklace that Brad got custom-made for her on Mother’s Day. Why a machine gun you may ask? Maddox drew this exact gun for her Mother’s Day gift and she loved it!

On the best and worst things about being pregnant:

“It’s all just so nice. You just really can’t complain about anything as long as you know the babies are looking healthy. The only thing that’s hard for me now is with twins and having four kids, there’s a lot of the doctor saying ”Stop picking them up as much.” But we’ve worked out a system where Brad just lifts them to me every time they want to come up. I just don’t bend down. I’ll scream, ”Honey!” and he’ll come running and lift them up. Or they climb on chairs, so it’s not as big of a lift. So we’re trying to follow doctor’s orders, but I’m bending them a tiny bit.”

On pregnancy being good for the sex life:

“It’s [pregnancy] great for the sex life. It just makes you a lot more creative. So you have fun, and as a woman you’re just so round and full.”

On having 6 kids under the age of 8 soon:

“Well, we weren’t expecting twins! So it did shock us, and we jumped to six quickly. But we like a challenge. We really don’t know. His mom and dad are on standby to come out and help. And fortunately we can hire help if we need it, but we’re going to try as we usually do to balance it as well as we can. The only thing for us when a new child comes home is just balancing the others. Our real focus now is: How do we make sure that the babies’ coming is not upsetting to other kids and makes them feel included. They’re old enough to feel included to change diapers themselves, to feed bottles themselves, like if I pump into a bottle. We’re trying to find ways where it can be a fun group thing. But the hard thing is every single day trying to find time for each of them privately. ‘Cause that’s our big thing. With our eldest, we have that last half an hour at night; Shiloh tends to be the first up in the morning. Everybody gets special time so we can make sure we know where they’re at.”

On Jack Black’s foot-in-the-mouth statement:

“Poor Jack! Immediately when he saw Brad, he apologized. But we both told him very clearly that we had only waited because, as you do with any baby, but especially twins, you wait until all results are in on their health, and that we were past that point and if somebody had asked me directly, I would have said yes. So he didn’t do anything but take the heat himself.”

On what she and Brad refer to themselves as:

“We have that problem all the time. I say ”partner” sometimes. ”Father of my children” is too long. But half the time people refer to us as, ”So, your wife this, your husband that.” We’ve stopped correcting everybody. It’s not a big intentional thing not to marry. We immediately were a family when we became a couple, and children were the priority, and we’re both legally committed to the children. And that seemed to be the right thing.”

On her ideal free Saturday:

“I have a lot of those. Very simple things. On weekends we usually have family sleep. We always have one night a week where everybody stays up late, watches a movie, and stays in our bed. We have, like, a slumber party.” Angelina went on to say, “The boys tend to want to be near Mommy and the girls tend to want to be near Daddy. So it works out nicely.”

On her past confessions of cutting herself:

“The reason I talked about going through certain pains or even cutting myself is that I was already out the other side. I knew there were people that do that — and somehow are happy that somebody admitted they did and discussed how they got out of it. I don’t see the point of doing an interview unless you’re going to share the things you learn in life and the mistakes you make. So to admit that I’m extremely human and have done some dark things, I don’t think makes me unusual or unusually dark. I think it actually is the right thing to do and I’d like to think it’s the nice thing to do.”

On regretting saying anything to the media such as wearing the vial of Billy Bob Thornton’s blood around her neck:

“No! It was never a vial anyway. It was like a flower press. It was like from a slight cut on your finger and you press your fingerprint in. It was kind of a sweet gesture. I thought it was kind of romantic! I still love him dearly and think the world of him and I’m proud to have been his wife for a time. I don’t believe in regrets. It’s a dangerous habit to get into — it makes you pause in your life if you start thinking back and questioning yourself.”

On what she learned from her mother:

“When Brad saw Changeling he said he could see my mother. That was very much my mother. Hated yelling at people, really was so decent and so sweet, but when it came to protecting her children, she somehow found this odd strength. There’s an elegance to her that I don’t really have; there’s a kindness.” When asked if she thinks she is kind, Angie replied, “I kind of like to debate. I like to get into fights.”

On her desire to go to extremes:

“We [she and Brad] joke about the extremes of the things we’ll do. Well, certain things are private! But there’s a side of us that’s so mommy-daddy and then there’s a side of us that’s…very man and woman. I’ll leave it at that. We both like to ride motorcycles, we both like to fly planes, that’s the spirited side of us. Then the other side of us is very focused on silly mommy-daddy things. So I guess that’s extremes, but I just think of that as balance.”

Thanks Nicole!

Source: Entertainment Weekly

Photo: Entertainment Weekly

Filed under: Angelina Jolie

1. Francesca

Love her! Love her and Brad together! Love their children! Always have! What a great, candid interview!

2. Carolina

I like her, those babies brought up a softer side of her. :)

3. broooklynmom

Hypocrite!!!! With a capital H. She is so into world peace, yet she wears a machine gun necklace and throws military style birthday parties for her kids. I[m a mother of two and i know that kids need stability and a secure environment, and I would never imagine to drag my kids all over the planet all the time and constantly adding kids when she should really focus on the ones she has. She is soo full of herself and it’s all about her all the time. She is a total publicity whore, she should look at how some other celebrities manage to raise their kids out of the spotlight and into the real world. Her kids are going to grow up to be confused, spoiled, and unrealistic hollywood brats bound for rehab before 18. good luck.

4. Tracy

Nicely said, broooklynmom!

5. Hannah

So true Brooklynmom! I can’t imagine how crazy things must get for those kids when they have no stable environment. My kids go crazy when we get back from a vacation and their not totally back on their routine. I can’t imagine dragging my children everywhere like that. I hope for the children’s sake they settle in France and stay put.

6. Jenny

I must admit, the customized gun pendant does leave me wondering/confused. However, Angelina has provided her adopted children with love and opportunities. For that, I highly respect her and also admire her dedication in raising awareness of impoverished nations. Sure, she’s a bit cooky, but she is a powerful public figure doing some good for once.

7. Nicole

Did it ever occur to anyone that these kids are used to it? They’ve been doing it since they were babies. It’s different when you only go on vacation once or twice a year – they move all the time, that’s the way it is with ALL of Hollywood, because movies get filmed all over the place. You just see it with Brad and Angelina more because they’re photographed all the time and they don’t limit themselves to the states.

They all look happy and well adjusted, and none of the Jolie-Pitt kids are going around flipping people off or throwing tantrums in the middle of the street. Have you ever seen them look unhappy? I haven’t, and it’s not like kids behave on outing and then throw fits and home. If there was something wrong, the world would have seen it by now.

There’s nothing wrong with being different, and that’s what Angelina is. She may not drive a minivan, or be married to the man she’s raising a family with, or have a nine-to-five job where she comes home to the same house night after night, and you know what, she seems all the better for it.

8. Nicole

By the way, if you read the whole interview, she says this about the gun necklace thing:

“Do you worry that people will have a hard time squaring this gun-toting character with your role as a U.N. Goodwill Ambassador? They do seem quite incongruous.

I am a strong believer that without justice there is no peace. No lasting peace, anyway. I’m somebody who’s very curious about the International Criminal Court and supportive of following through on the arrest warrants in Darfur. I’m not somebody that just wants to hold up a white flag and say, ”Let’s all just get along.” I think people that do horrible things should be held accountable. I don’t think like in Wanted — which is an action movie — people should [just] be killed. I think there should be trials and justice. But the idea behind Wanted is not that she’s a badass assassin that just likes to kill people. It’s that, if you ran into Hitler before he did everything, and you knew, should you shoot him? And I would. These assassins are getting lists: They find out who is going to slaughter other people ahead of time and they remove them. So that was the side of me that identified with her. But it is a confusing thing, certainly for rights activists. Don’t read too much into it. I am holding a gun, but there are so many people that have done so many horrible things… Pol Pot died a grandfather in the jungle, most likely of old age. Never was punished for what he did.”

9. Cee

It amazes me that people claim to know someone by the handful of pictures they see scattered all over tabloid Magazines. Haven’t you learned by now that most of the stuff that is printed is completely untrue? Do you know the topic of their conversations during their private dinners? Do you have a personal view on how their children are being raised? None of us will ever know unless we are near them all the time. So please don’t pride yourself on comments you make that you really know nothing about. I yelled at my kid at the store the other day because he was acting up and I can imagine a million things other people must have been thinking about us. But what they didn’t see was how I apologized to him and calmly explained why I got angry. They didn’t see the subject quickly change to a happier topic. Honestly I don’t care what those people thought of me, because they have probably done the same thing themselves. Which I guess makes them a bit of a Hypocrite as well. Hmmm

10. broooklynmom

It’s about the choices you make in life. You become a “celebrity”, you kinda know what you signed on to. It’s what they get off on. Most actors and actresses obviously feel the need to share their craft or talent with their audience and thrive on the attention they get from the public and media. what angelina puts out there, trust me, is a carefully calculated and skillfully honed persona and if you honestly think that she adopted all these kids simply out of the goodness of her heart, think again, and consider her history, where I think a void needed to be filled. With all the money that they have, they would never, ever have to work again and could enjoy their lives and family in private without the intrusive papparazzi and opportunists that tr to make a penny off of their public saga. Seriously, consider her track record and understand how hard it is for so called normal people to adopt and the regimens they have to go through, but I guess Santa Angelina paid for being in the Hollywood expresss lane, where the golden Hollywood rule” Money talks and BS walks” is the password. As for her questionable, mostly violent, weapon glorifying, abstract and unrealistic movie roles, that she identifies with I can only say “PLUEZZZZZ!” but I guess that’s what you expect from somebody who grew up in that industry.
    By the way, I happen to have many friends who are parents and entertainers and don’t drag their kids all over the place, because they understand how important it is, and you can ask any child psychiatrist, for children in their forming years to develop friendships and grow roots. You say these kids are used to it since they’ve been doing it all their lives, think again, and just imagine what it must be like to live in that glassbowl where you are constantely hounded by photographers and shuttled around by handlers, nannies and bodyguards. Yeah, they look real happy to me and the rest of the world who pay to see the “Happy pictures”.

11. Nicole

Man you are seriously bitter. So they should just go and shut themselves up in a house somewhere, is that what you think? Nobody lives like that, sorry to say.

But it doesn’t really matter anyway, because haters remain haters, no matter what logic you throw at them. She doesn’t fit your idea of what a mom should be, not that you have a clue, being a non-celeb, so she’s automatically doing things wrong.

Besides, if she’s so carefully crafting a “persona” why is she always so honest in every single interview she gives? People who care about their image keep all the ugly stuff hidden away, and she doesn’t. She doesn’t plan her statements beforehand, she answers honestly, and I respect her for it.

12. devin

All of her interviews are a series of contradiction, all made to enhance her image as the super mom. Her hypocrisy is boundless.

13. Michelle

Nicole said it best, I think. Haters remain haters, no matter what logic you throw at them.
    Too bad for them :( It must suck to have so much negativity inside!! BTW, if you respond to a post by criticizing someone for being a publicity whore, wouldn’t that be super hypocritical? I think it could be compared to someone who uses a prostitute criticizing her for being a sex whore. Maybe I’m wrong on this….

14. broooklynmom

This has been quite interesting and entertaining. I have to say, Nicole, ignorance is bliss!
    I’m not bitter in the least bit, I have a very fulfilled happy life and a career. I actually gave up my career as a working actress and switched over to another field, because of the welfare of my children, and now have more time and much more securities for my two children to offer. I;m not hating anyone,because simply I don’t have the energy or the time to, but HYPOCRACY is something that I do find offensive and laughable.
    I also find it laughable that you are truly clueless how a PR machine works and think that she is so candid and open and honest???? I guess you have never been in that industry and therefore are truly clueless. Sorry I couldn’t write a comment like” She is the greatest” Or “I love her, she is so beautiful”, but I’m sure there is plenty of other blogs where you can find comments like that.

15. Jen

I have a hard time with her. They’re full of contradictions. A loving “family”, but unmarried and see no need for legalities. Peace loving, yet she wears a gun. Earth-loving, yet they constantly travel hither and yon on airplanes, all private, which cancel out any attempt to be green in other ways. They’re ridiculous and self-righteous. Someone needs to inform them that they’re not the first people in the world to adopt children, nor are they the first to have twins or be a large family. Everyday, couples across the planet do the same things that they do. Except no one else gets a cookie for doing it, which is why these people irk me to death.

16. Judy

It would be nice if those who waste time accusing others of being hypocrites could spell the word.

17. Nicola

Gosh broooklynmom if you have such a problem with celebrity mother’s; who get there picture taken by paparazzi against there will while trying to give there children the normalcy you swear they are denying them. Than why are you on a website that is about celebrity parents and there children, out and about in places all over the world?

Would you rather Angelina and Brad lock there kids away in the house never let them see sunshine and have nannies raise them? Seriously some kids do better without a schedule, and I really doubt that Maddox, Zahara, and Pax were very scheduled in the orphanages they were in. I doubt making sure the kids weren’t ‘disrupted’ was as important as making sure they didn’t die before they could walk. But forget the fact that someone took them out of it and has given them a wonderful life.

Are they plastered all over the place, yes. Is that there fault, not completely. If people were really bothered by it they would stop buying the magazines, but they don’t so they are as much a part of the problem as Angelina and Brad’s celebrity.

And if your kid wanted an army birthday party, and threw himself on the ground screaming in the party supply store; I bet you would give in.

18. Hannah

I have no hate for Angelina. On the contrary, I think she is a very beautiful, intelligent and talented actress. She’s done a lot of good, but I question her motives. You’re right, I don’t know her, and neither does anyone else. Her job as an entertainer is to project a certain image of herself (through her PR people) to the public. It’s not Angelina that I don’t care for, it’s this elitist, mother-earth image she’s become.

I long for the days when we knew almost nothing about celebrities private lives.

19. Hannah

This whole debate is actually kind of funny because just yesterday I was reading an article discussing how Angelina is one of the most polarizing figures in Hollywood. I guess so! :-)

20. Tracy

Great, I really hope this site doesn’t turn into the Just Jared ridiculousness.

You know, I just can’t bring myself to hate this woman anymore. Anyone with a brain knows that she had an affair with Brad and she was the reason he divorced his wife. I don’t care what anyone else says or any excuse she gives the media. She had an affair.
    But now look at her? I don’t agree with how she’s moving from continent to continent with the kids and all the money being wasted on irrielevant things, but come on, you gotta give her a break. She’s done so much good. And I don’t see her seeking publicity or attention for things she’s done. It’s not her fault she’s being followed around by paparazzi. They’re doing their job.
    She’s using her image to do some good and even gives her money selflessly. All the controversy about how much will be paid for the exclusive rights on her newborn babies are silly. But knowing the kind of person she is and Brad Pitt, that money will go to help people that desperately need it.
    I understand people see her as a hypocrite and a bad person and homewrecker etc, but try to focus on the good things she’s done. Her and Brad Pitt. There’s no doubt that she loves her children dearly and they’re both devoted to the children and each other. They don’t see the importance on marriage and that’s just their opinion and that’s fine. Leave them be in peace. No one is perfect and she’s admitted to her mistakes. Whatever else she refuses to talk about is her right.
    I pray for the best for her and her family. Safe delivery of their babies and may God continue to bless and watch over them

22. Lala

I have always disliked Angelina. I have to admit that she is growing on me. Its nice to see someone who really loves being a family. Can’t hate on that.

23. No one knows if she and Brad had an affair when he was still married. His marriage could have been over in all but name when they got together. The idea that he and Jennifer Aniston stayed together for career reasons isn’t that strange. I think his marriage broke up because he wanted kids and Jennifer Aniston didn’t. I don’t believe in “homewreckers.” No one can “wreck” a marriage that isn’t already foundering–the problem is that both spouses may not realize there’s a problem. But I’m tired of seeing Aniston portrayed in the media as this poor victim. No of us have any idea what happened in that marriage. Don’t get me wrong, I have no respect for cheaters or infidelity. I think that if you cannot stop yourself from sleeping with another person, then you end your marriage first. But as I said, no one outside the marriage knows what went on. And the truth is that Angelina and Brad seem very happy together, raising a brood of beautiful kids, while Jennifer Aniston is still playing the victim. I know who I like better.

24. broooklynmom

I have to say this was the very first and very last time i ever wrote anything to one of these celbrity blog schmog things. I was obviously wrong when I thought this is a grown person somewhat mature ( as much as a blog can ever be mature????) to discuss – DISCUSS- not fight out and be verbally attacked by strangers for an opinion that might be other than thou. Hate is a strong word, I’ll leave that to all of you, enjoy your website, bask inthe bliss of ignorance and keep subscribing to that machine that floats your very shaky tugboat.

25. devin

Brooklynmom, please don’t let these people who worship the ground that Angelina walks on or think the air she breathes is sacred, push you away. They refuse to accept that there are some of us who can see through the Angelina hypocrisy and see her and Brad, and their actions for what they really are. And, for the woman who doubts that Brad and Angelina had an affair, you need to grow up. This woman has practically admitted it. That isn’t even an issue because marriages end when people aren’t being fulfilled, we all know that. If you voice a negative opinion about her you have to be jealous or hate her. You can be critical of her actions, statements, and lifestyle without hating her. This place is beginning to resemble Just Jared with a bunch of Angelina lovers attacking you for not thinking she is perfect.

26. Lisa

I’m going to close the comments on this post. There’s no in between when it comes to Angelina, people either love her or hate her – which means a heated debate — which means people getting insulted/feelings hurt.