Matthew Broderick Says James Is “Already Curious” About Smoking

While attending the screening of his new movie Finding Amanda, Matthew Broderick spoke with New York Magazine about how hard it is to stop smoking. He says that Sarah Jessica is even worse at quitting the habit. Coincidentally, Broderick plays a gambler, who is pressing his luck during a weekend in Vegas.

“I used to smoke cigarettes, and I still do, lately. I gave that up a long time ago, but every now and then I will fall off for a week.” Broderick also explains that James Wilke is “already curious” He’ll see a cigarette butt and say, What is that? Why do people smoke? I can just see the little budding gene of a smoker in there.”

SJP and Matthew are very laid back about their smoking addiction, says family friend and longtime Broadway Co-Star (with Matthew in “The Producers”) Nathan Lane.

“If ever you wanted someone to have an intervention for you, it’s Matthew Broderick, because he’ll probably bring liquor.”

Source: New York Magazine

Photo: Pacific Coast News, June 2008

Filed under: James Wilke Broderick

1. Dea

Wow, great example for their kids. Why dont they throw recreational drugs while they are at it?

2. Jast

Oh my that poor kid. They’re killing him. There are bad habits parents pass on but smoking eek. I didn’t know either still smoked. So many celeb (and other) couples give it up when it comes to not only pregnancy but after birth.

3. Rachel

When did this family start looking so old and washed up?

4. d

how do you think she got so thin for SATC? A diet of cancer sticks…LOL!

5. nosoupforyou

“I can just see the little budding gene of a smoker in there.”

What is wrong with these parents?

6. lk8

wow! i always sorta liked them BECAUSE they seem so laid back, BUT that is one of the things that you absolutely can not be laid back about! that makes me sick- “…little budding gene of a smoker in there.” awful!

7. Amanda

genetically James in prone to smoking with both parents being smokers,they are trying to explain that he asks questions about it and they informed him about it.They can parent the way they want,if they weren’t famous people would careless,normal people smoke around their kids and pretty much nothing is done or said about it.Who says they smoke when James is in the house or around him,they may smoke outside not in the house and not when their son is around.

8. Susannah

I disagree with the poster above, I think most people generally frown upon people smoking when their children are present, in the house, car, etc. We know the effects second hand smoke has on people and if a child is exposed to this from an early age until they go to college think of the damage to their lungs!
    I think it’s great that Matthew has tried to give up smoking and I hope that when James asks about his parents cigarettes he’s told all about the horrible effects of smoking and it’s gripping, addictive qualities too.

9. no name

people can frown upon smoking but they still do it in front of their kids,if this wasn’t a celebrities kid then it wouldn’t be a big deal to most people.if they dont smoke around James or in the house it shouldn’t be a problem for James,I have a friend who smokes and he will not smoke around his children,in his house or car,he smokes outside away from the house.I had no idea he even smoked for years until I saw him outside one day so how do we know what SJP and Matthew do around James?we dont so why complain?

10. Devin

Matthew disgusts me. I have disliked him since he killed that mother and daughter in Ireland. When I see a picture of him and his child, and their happy family I can’t help but think of how he damaged another family. Both he and his horse face wife get on my nerves.

11. Rachel

‘Do as I say, not as I do’ coming from parents never worked for me as a kid…

when did Matthew kill a mother and daughter in Ireland??

13. Amanda

it was a drunk driving accident over fifteen years ago.

14. Nina

It was not a drunk driving accident, he drove on the wrong side (at least for Irish traffic) of the road, because he wasn’t used to driving on the left side. This actually happens to a lot of people visiting the UK.

15. Dea

Wow, I never knew about the accident..that’s terrible.