Heath Ledger’s Co-Stars Take Care of Matilda

When Heath Ledger died of an accidental drug overdose in January 2008, he left behind a 2-year-old daughter, Matilda – but not an updated will. Ledger was filming a movie, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, at the time and the cast of men who took over filming – Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law made sure she was taken care of. Instead of taking a salary, all the money they would have earned goes straight to Matilda. The movie’s director, Terry Gilliam, explained:

“They didn’t take money — it goes to Heath’s daughter. That’s extraordinary! And wonderful . . . and when you’re part of that, you think, ‘Ah, this is maybe why I went into the movies in the beginning. I thought it would be full of wonderful people. And we’ve got a movie full of wonderful people who did extraordinary things to help.”

by Nicole

Source: The Sun

Photo: Flynet Nov. 2008

Filed under: Matilda Ledger

1. Kris

That really touched my heart. Teary eyed just reading that. I also was a big fan of Heath.

2. Jen

That’s just wonderful. It’s nice to read that there are still people in this world that put the needs of others first.

3. grebo

You notice The Americans do nothing, of course, but watch and laugh.

4. Nicole

Johnny Depp is American.

5. Jaden

That is absolutely wonderful. It’s nice to hear this kind of kindness and love from hollywood.

6. Amanda

what do you mean the American’s do nothing?That just doesn’t make sense saying we just sit and laugh,I find that highly offensive and rude of you to say such a derogaitory thing.

7. Hannah

Congratulations “grebo”, you’re an idiot.

8. d

grebo has me confused. I guess another of those annoying American habits – lol! no more to say on that… it’s the generosity of those actors that’s important, not the countries from which the actors came. All I can say is Wow, such a beautiful gesture on their part to honor Heath in this way.

9. Jen

I find this hard to believe. It’s also coming from the Sun which is not always reputable. Maybe they’re giving the movie residuals to her or something of that nature, but their full salary? I highly doubt it.