Ricky Martin Slammed By Catholic Cardinal Over Fathering Surrogate Babies

The news of Ricky Martin becoming a father to twin boys hasn’t been well received by everyone. One leading Latino Catholic cardinal has slammed Ricky for acting without dignity. The Puerto Rican singer recently fathered twin boys, via a surrogate mother, who is rumored to be a cousin of Ricky’s. The Catholic cardinal of Honduras, Oscar Andres Rodriguez, accuses the singer of going against human dignity,

“What Martin did diminishes the dignity of a human being. You can’t just buy or rent life. It’s even worse when someone famous and in the public eye is doing it.”

Rodriguez isn’t alone. Mexican talk show host Esteban Arce has also spoken out against Ricky’s choice to be a single father,

“I don’t think it’s right to deny children of maternal figures, just because you have a big ego.”

Source: Contact Music via Perez Hilton

Photo: Bauer-Griffin, August 20

Filed under: Ricky Martin

1. justme

oh please…

what a bunch of crap. it’s like saying two parents of the same sex can’t be great figures to a child. why does there have to be a ‘mother figure’? there’s hundreds of loosers out there that are SINGLE MOTHERS, and married hetero couples that suck. go away religious figure.

3. Nicole

I agree Anonymous, there are thousands of parents who are in the “ideal” situation – married, a man and a woman – and they are HORRID parents. The Catholic Church does not have the right to dictate what a “good” family is when its idea of a “good” family fails more often than the unconventional ones. It’s LOVE that matters in a child’s life, not marital status or sex.

Besides, what happened to “all life is sacred?”

4. Jaden

What a double standard if this were a single women non of this would have been said.

5. Claudius

You’ve got to be kidding me.

6. Peta

I’m sure Ricky will be shedding many tears over this.

7. Keira

What about the dignity of those poor alter boys? Were they not diminished? What a bunch of hypocrites!!!

8. ANONYMOUS

TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT WANT TWO FATHERS AS MY PARENTS THAT ARE GAY. I KNOW FOR A FACT WHAT THIS CAN DO A CHILD, SINCE MY BEST FRIEND WAS RAISED BY GAY PARTNERS!!! IT REALLY MESS THEM UP!!! WHAT A MESSED UP WORLD WE LIVE IN!!!

9. gino

yea i neva thought of it that way if 2 men r not able to have a baby togetha then obviously is not ment ta be that way u dumb gay ass ppl nd lesbos!!! lol

10. Nicole

Oh please, every set of parents is different. They were bad parents probably because they were bad people, not because they were gay.

11. Rinoa

ANONYMOUS, it sounds like you’re just trying to get a reaction, especially with all of the “shouting”. If what you say is true though (meaning that your friend is messed up because she/he was raised by gay parents) then surely you must realize that one example doesn’t equal a trend.

I guess because I knew someone who was raised by gay parents and turned out to be a doctor, then I should assume that all children raised by gay parents will become doctors. Great logic, eh?

12. Peta

Anon, where in this article was it mentioned that Ricky would be raising his children with a male partner? Or that he was even gay, for that matter? Members of the Catholic Church took issue with his decision to have via a surrogate and to raise them as a single father. I didn’t see one thing about gay parenting here.

13. Peta

*to have children via a surrogate, sorry

14. Lana

my problem with it is not that he has children. i believe than anyone and everyone who wants to should be able to give a loving home to children. however, why did he have to do it through surrogacy? There are thousands of children out there that are already born who need loving homes. I feel that it is fairly selfish of him in that way.

15. Nicole

Lana, I kind of agree with you about that – and he’s even talked about adoption, I think. Then again, everyone has the right to a biological child as well.

16. Claudius

Lana, sure there are many children out there who need loving homes but it is not his responsibility to produce homes for them. Not all children out there are orphans, some of these kids have been abandoned by parents who simply had them and refuse to care for them for whatever reason, hold those parents accountable and ask them to take care of their responsibilities. If some of these parents who abandon their children decided beforehand not to have them, there will be less kids looking for someone to give them homes. Kids looking for homes is not Ricky Martin’s problem. He made a choice to have his own kids that he wants to care for so good for him. Some people choose to adopt, some do not. It is not compulsory. Good luck to him.

17. G

To anonymoys, children of single mothers and married parents can be as messed up as gay parents. There are good parents and bad parents in any group and I don’t think you should judge one group over another.

And to Lana and Nicole, I have to disagree. I think that he has same right to have biological children as anyone else. Using same reasoning everyone should adopt untill there isn’t any abandoned children and only after that have biological children.

18. Adam

You Go Ricky!

19. Michelle

I think that people might be missing the issue here. If Ricky is a Catholic, then their rules apply to him whether he agrees or not. He can always choose NOT to be Catholic and then his problem is solved. The Cardinals are merely pointing out that what he did goes against the Catholic traditions/faith/tenets/whatever. I don’t know why someone would want to be a member of a church that they don’t wholeheartedly agree with. If my church was a member of the KKK, then I wouldn’t remain there. If Ricky’s church doesn’t agree with something he feels strongly about, then he shouldn’t remain there. It’s just logical. Unless the church is right, of course…….but that’s a whole other discussion :D

20. Michelle

to Keira: I don’t think the Catholic Church condoned or celebrated what happened to altar boys. There were bad priests who went against the church and did horrible things; does that mean the church has to allow all behaviour as acceptable now? (your logic)

21. nosoupforyou

Michelle, it was allowed but not condoned. They kept transferring these priests/molesters to new parishes, where they had access to new victims, rather than notifying the police and removing them from the priesthood.

That was the scandal and the tragedy.

22. nosoupforyou

Congratulations Ricky!

Gays would be able to raise children without any problem if bigotted straight people would stay out of their business. Families are families. Anon — your friend didn’t turn out “messed up” because of gay parents. Your friend turned out “messed up” because of hateful, judgmental people.

24. anonymous

NO,MY FRIEND TURNED OUT MESSED UP BECAUSE OF BAD MORALS AND GROSS BEHAVIOR BY TWO GAY PARTNERS THAT HAVE NO BUSINESS IN RAISING CHILDREN!!!

25. Nicole

o_O Whatever. Children are raised by people, and each person is different, no matter their sexual orientation. Being gay doesn’t automatically give you bad morals.

26. Nicole

Oh, and seriously, stop typing in all caps. The last person who did that got their comments deleted – there’s no need to “shout.”

27. J

I completely disagree with the Catholic Church. I’m sorry a poor little man has to attack another man who is brave enough to raise not one but two children by his own choice. And as for denying the children a maternal figure, who says they won’t have one? A maternal figure is not always a mother. They are plenty of shit mothers out there and they make it quite obivious that mothers are not nesscessarily a positive in a childs life. Sometimes the best maternal figure in your life is a woman who isn’t your mother. Is Ricky going to take the kids away from women completely? I don’t think so. So the kids will have maternal figures that aren’t in the form of a mother, end of the world? Don’t think so.

28. Rinoa

I think anonymous is just trying to get a reaction. Or maybe it’s just that I hope he/she isn’t serious.

29. Lilly

I think ANONYMOUS is LISA SMITH… ;)

The Catholic Church is a bunch of self-righteous fools trying to enforce social standards of the Middle Ages into a world which has long overcome witch-hunting and crusades. Modern times need modern religious institutions which do not point fingers at people trying to give a child a loving home.

30. dana

with all the paparazzi stalking celebs, if Ricky Martin wasn’t gay, wouldn’t we have seen at least ONE picture of him with a female?? Just one? I never have. And to have his cousin be the surrogate? I’m sorry PETA but if he was a hetero male, he would have a wife or GF that he could knock up and not depend on his cousin to squeeze out some trophy babies for him. As far as the Catholic CULT – WHY DON’T THE PRIESTS HAVE SEX WITH EACH OTHER AND LEAVE INNOCENT BOYS ALONE???

31. Michelle

Lilly, I think modern times need modern religious institutions that are TRUE (rather than just being modern)! We don’t need FALSE religious institutions even if they are pleasing to society. I’d rather belong to the one that the real God would have me belong to…otherwise it’s pretty pointless, imho. Now if only there was an easier way for us to determine which, if any, religious institutions reflect the true reality of God!

Dana, that’s a good idea! Too bad the priests didn’t think of that….or maybe they’ve been doing both :P