Sarah Palin’s Teen Daugther Pregnant

Republican vice presidential candidate, Sarah Palin, confirmed in a statement Monday that her 17-year-old daughter, Bristol, is five months pregnant,

“Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support.”

Sarah went on to say that Bristol plans to marry the father of the child,

“Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family.”

The 44-year-old vice presidential candidate released the statement to combat a rumor that Bristol may have been the mother of Palin’s youngest son, 4-month-old Trig, who has Down syndrome.

Sarah and her husband Todd Palin, have five children: sons Track (19) and Trig (4 months) and daughters Bristol (17), Willow (14), and Piper (7). Their first son, Track, was born eight months after their wedding.

Source: People & Wikipedia

Photo: Reuters / Landov / People

Filed under: Bristol Palin,Sarah Palin

1. Preciousmoments

Well thank God their not perfect like the rest of us! McCain/Palin 2008!

2. anonymous

i absolutely loathe perez hilton- if anyone checked his site he repeatedly called her a W… that is so untrue. how does he know what happened…? Yes, she is 17 and pregnant but that by no means makes her a W… Hopefully this is her committed boyfriend and accidents do happen, so unless someone knows for a fact that Bristol sleeps around, please do not call her that.. More power to her for making an adult choice and dealing with the consequences of her actions

McCain/Palin 08!

3. kiwibird

I find it amusing how everyone was up in arms against Jamie Lynn Spears having her child at 17, but people are praising Bristol for being so mature in her decision to keep her child!

4. Gazelle

I do agree that accidents happen, and a 17-year-old girl should not be in the limelight because of this, no matter how famous her Mom is and how bad the timing might be.
    …Still, the hipocricy of Mom, Sarah Pallin, is ludicrous. How can you preach teen-abstinence to the masses if in your own sheltered environment it’s not working? Despite the fact that, as mentioned, accidents happen, what are the chances?.. And then she expecs her daughter to marry the father of the child, a teenager, who, if to judge by (what the media reports to be) his myspace entry, sounds like an immature self-proclaimed redneck and is not interested in having kids (at that age, very understandable). Taking responsibility for your own actions doesn’t mean you should continue making a mistake all the way. If you got pregnant and felt that the guy is not someone you want to be with and/or would not make a good father, would you marry him just because it would be ‘the right thing to do’? I’m ovbviously speculating here, but the whole thing just seems so absurd to me, and I wonder if the same would be happening in the family if Mom Palling wasn’t under the limelight like she currently is…

5. Sherry

I hope the Dems keep the ‘barbs’ flying because I gain new respect with Gov. Palin with every single one! At least she isn’t philandering like past men (and women) in gov’t and she is facing the trials just like thousands of families in this country face every single day: unplanned pregnancies She had the chance to abort twice it seems like and she didn’t! She chose life and God honors that. I applaud Sarah and her family for standing by Piper. Gov. Palin could’ve turned McCain down considering what the Dems would be digging up. I guess her detractors haven’t heard about casting the first stone. ANd as far as Track’s birth, at least his parents got married.

6. Sherry

Sorry….I meant to write Bristol, not Piper.

7. JET

Wow…I didn’t realize the readership for this site was so right wing. It’s funny that you all admire Sarah Palin just because she didn’t abort her child. If that’s the case, I guess most of us are saints. She may have decided to keep her child this year, but she’s not the one taking care of it. She’s on the campaign trail pursuing her own ambition instead of caring for her special needs infant and her pregnant teenager. (And no this isn’t just an assumption – the grueling work of campaigning for presidency is heavily documented.) I’m all for women deciding to work outside the home, but VP is much more than a 40 hour a week responsibility. If this is the GOP’s idea of “family values,” it’s certainly not mine.

8. dea

I agree completely with JET. You took the words out of my mouth :-)

9. Peta

I just have one question – if such an announcement came from the Democrat camp, would conservatives be as supportive (saying that she made a great decision by keeping the baby/planning to marry the father) or would they be holding it up as an example of why the left-wing Democratic party should NEVER be allowed back into power?

10. Jen

I’m very conservative and I am not exactly wowed by this women. I totally agree that her working hours will far outweigh her family time hours. If all of her children were elementary age and up, that would be one thing. But a baby with special needs? I question the decision to drag him around the campaign trail like a teddy bear.

As far has her daughter goes, again, I question Palin’s involvement with her family. I came from a “sheltered” home and I did not end up pregnant. I do believe in practicing abstinence and that teens are taking on way too much emotional junk than they’re immature brains are ready for. It doesn’t take a genius to know that kids with parents who are plugged in have a greatly decreased risk of getting pregnant and engaging in questionable behavior. There are pictures out there today of Bristol drinking and holding liqueur bottles with her girlfriends. This doesn’t scream “involved parent” to me. I have to wonder if this is a situation where mom’s aggressiveness in her career is having a negative impact on her kids.

11. Audrey

Preaching abstinence as in other life lessons to children doesn’t mean it will take. You just hope that they do and the parents just keep on trying. Unless she went on every date, every opportunity to be with a boy that Bristol had, the ball was in her daughter’s court.

Who says the Palins are forcing the marriage? Could be Bristol’s idea.

12. Isbell

haha I like the deataile you wrote on that text “Their first son, Track, was born eight months after their wedding.”

what has that to do with anything?

13. antigonie

Peta – Having a child doesn’t necessarily mean that you should marry the father, it means that he’s the father and she’s pregnant. Get over it, you not going to single handedly stop teen preganancy. As long as the child is happy and well taken care of. People make this mistake everyday.

14. Amy

Her being ok with her 17 yr old daughter having a baby is fine by me. I only have an issue when she thinks she should have a say on if someone else chooses another route. That is not ok in my book.

Since she’s been announced as the VP candidate for the republicans, scandal after scandal after scandal has come to light. They didn’t even go to Alaska to research her until the day before and checked with no governmental entity in the state.

She’s bad for women’s right, she’s bad for the environment, she’s bad for exes of her relatives.

I wish her and her daughter well with their babies, especially Trig who will really need it since he has down syndrome

Obama/Biden 08

15. Eva_baby

Oh please! If this had been Chelsea Clinton during Bill’s tenure it wouldn’t be Perez Hilton calling her a whore. The entire GOP would have been screaming about “family values” and how awful the liberals are when it comes to morality and holding Chelsea and the entire Clinton family up to ridicule.

And we know good an well if this girl had been Obama’s daughter, McCain and Co. wouldn’t have been half as classy as Obama is being about this.

Palin has made her family and her motherhood the crux of her appeal. She has made it part of the “why” of her nomination. She can’t have it both ways. She can’t trot out her family when it suits her political ambition and then close them back up in a closet of “privacy” when it doesn’t.

And if she doesn’t realize that her being plucked from near total obscurity to becoming a major player on the national stage during a bitterly partisan presidential race opens her and her family up to microscopic scrutiny, then she’s more that hypocritical, she’s dangerously naive.

16. Peta

To Antigonie – I think you either misread my comment or confused someone else’s comment with mine. I wasn’t saying that she is right to want to marry the father. That’s not what I’m saying at all. I of all people know that just because two people had sex and conceived a child, it does not mean that they’re compatible or healthy together.

Let me reword my original question – if either Obama or Biden had half-way pregnant teen daughters, would the conservatives be vocally supportive of their decision to keep their pregnancies and marry their boyfriends, or would they (as Eva_baby said in her comment) use it as an attack on the Democrats.