Jenny McCarthy In This Week’s Us Weekly

Jenny McCarthy believes that that some children can recover from autism and that her 6-year-old son Evan is a prime example, as she explains in this week’s Us Weekly. She believes the MMR vaccine was to blame for Evan’s diagnosis, and that a strict no wheat-and-dairy diet changed her son from the quiet little boy who used to flail his arm to the loving boy he is today.

“Before the vaccination, he was huggy, lovey, snuggly,” she says in the newest issue of Us Weekly. “Then it was like someone came down and stole him.”

She also says that it was during an episode of Spongebob Squarepants that Evan began to really come out of his shell,

“I heard Evan laugh…I jumped on the bed and started screaming. When he finally hugged me, I prayed, ‘Please God don’t let this be the only time.’ I made a deal with God,” she explains. “I said, ‘You fix my boy, you show me the way and I’ll teach the world how I did it.’”

Jenny is the author of five bestselling books, including the latest, Mother Warriors: A Nation of Parents Healing Autism Against All Odds.

For more on the specific ways McCarthy helped her son recover from autism and how beau Jim Carrey supports her, pick up the newest issue of Us Weekly, on stands now.

Source: US Weekly

Photo: Us Weekly

Filed under: Jenny McCarthy

1. Theresa

I can’t imagine…or I don’t want to imagine having my kids go from normal to withdrawn and uncommunicative…I think it would be a nightmare…and I think Jenny is definately increasing autsim awareness…but I don’t agree with her blaming vaccinations…I think there are so many more reasons to explain autism…going on national t.v. and saying all vaccines are BAD…isn’t very responsible…as not everyone will go out and research vaccines…and make their own decision based on that education…I commend her for fighting for her son…and other children with autism…but I find it very frustrating as a medical professional to have her undermining life saving vaccines!

2. joyce

she says that her son is recoverd from autism, but I find it al little bit strange, because can someone recover from that? I tought autism is something you have and than will have the rest of your live

3. hannah

I agree completely Theresa. My mother has been researching autism for almost 30 years now and she can only shake her head in disbelief when Jenny McCarthy opens her mouth. I definetly commend Jenny for being passionate about her son’s illness, she’s pointing her finger in the wrong direction. She’s making misguided and incorrect assumptions about vaccines. Instead of listening to professionals who know what they are talking about, she snaps at them (i.e. that Larry King interview!) I just wish she would be more responsible because she’s leading misguided people in the wrong direction, and offering false hope.

4. Amy

Jenny is in NO WAY claiming that her son is cured. The reason she uses the word “recovered” is because that he will ALWAYS have autism, but the difference is that now he actually can function and have a full life while dealing with the autism. The diet change makes a HUGE difference in people with autism, it’s almost night and day once the gluten and dairy exit the body.

As far as the vaccines are concerned, I don’t think she is wrong. I believe that certain people have something in their being that has a bad reaction when given a certain vaccine and it causes something to change and in turn you end up with a person with autism. Jenny has always said that vaccines are good, but at the same time, the parents need to research them and find out what ones are right for their child. Another thing that she has debated with was whether or not vaccines should be staggered rather than given so close together to give the body a chance to react to each vaccine instead of a handful all at once.

5. My cousin went in for whatever set of 3 boosters you get when you’re 11, and it paralyzed him. So I wouldn’t be so quick to just trust vaccinations. It makes sense that of course at least some kids going to have side-effects; Jenny isn’t against vaccination, she’s against so many vaccinations so quickly, and so many at the same time.

And I’m glad Jenny is out there, talking about this, because if even one mom kid hears about that diet and their kids gets even a little better because of it, it’s worth it.

6. Isbell

What kind of vaccins do you get in usa and how much? Where I live you get a total of 3 vaccines in school, and they are all years appart. Ive never heard of vaccins that kan make your child autistic so this is new to me. We haven’t had any problems here about vaccines.

7. Erica

Nicole, my bestfriend’s son had the same reaction from getting shots. His legs went numb for about a month after getting his booster shots. Some people react differently to shots. I spread my kids shot out over time cause I dont want them getting shot up with 3 booster shots at one doctor’s visit! I think that they need the shots just that they can be spread out and if you doctor disagrees find a doctor who does!

8. Susan

I suspect it was not autism that her son was suffering from if he was cured. Medical science AT THIS TIME supports that autism does not have a cure and to say it does when you are not a medical person is giving false hope to millions of parents who have children suffering with autism.
    BTW, parents can potentially be prosecuted for witholding childhood vaccinations this putting their children at risk in the USA…why do you think that horrible diseases like whooping cough are on the rise again??

9. It’s the “at this time” that concerns Jenny, I think. Medical science is always evolving, after all. Vaccinations are necessary, but I for one am planning to look into a slower schedule for my future kids.

10. Laura

I completely agree with amanda peet when she said that people who don’t get their kids vaccinated are leeches. leeches are organisms that live off of other people. people who do not vaccinate their children are relying on the fact that other children will be vaccinated so that their child will not get sick. they are living off of other people.

i completely agree that it is a parent’s decision whether or not to spread them out, but i feel that parents should be prosecuted of they did not vaccinate their children due to neglect. it is putting your child in even greater danger than the risks that come with vaccination.

it has never been proven that vaccinations cause autism. people are just looking for an answer, and i don’t blame them. but they need to be looking where there is actually proof.

as a special education teacher and child development specialist, i must say that it is impossible for a child to “recover” from autism. it does not matter what they eat. I have had more students than i can count with autism, and NONE of them ever recovered. they learn to cope, but never has it been the circumstance she described. they suddenly don’t come out of it as though nothing happened.

she is not the world’s savior, and i feel offended she is bringing God into it and saying He sent her to instruct the world. it’s ridiculous.

11. Amy

“as a special education teacher and child development specialist”

Well la de da. Just because you have the diploma, doesn’t mean that you know anything about autism. It’s obvious you have no experience with a person with autism on a personal level. Taking care of a child during school hours is NOTHING like taking care of a child with autism at home.

“i must say that it is impossible for a child to “recover” from autism.”

Well pardon me, but you are WRONG. It is absolutely possible for a child to recover from autism. There is a difference between “recovered” and “cured”.
    Recover – get or find back; recover the use of
    Cure- freed from illness or injury
    To recover is to be able to function in society, yet still have autism. To be cured, the person would have to be 100% free from autism.

“it does not matter what they eat.”

WHAT? Are you just blabbering because you’re bored? Saying that it doesn’t matter is like saying that a person who is allergic to peanuts can still eat them. I have seen the difference changing a diet can make for someone with autism.

Have you ever lived with a person with autism? Like I said before, teaching a child during school is a completely difference world than actually living in the same household and being a care taker and provider. There are some things that books can’t teach you, you have to actually live it and experience it.

12. Laura

I have indeed lived with a person with autism. My younger sister is autistic. It’s why I became a special education teacher. Please do not make assumptions just so that you can sound more educated.

you want to talk about blabbing because someone is bored? it makes no sense whatsoever to compare autism with a food allergy. Food allergies, are (obviously) caused by food. Autism is not. If you look hard enough, you can find research to support ANYTHING. in all of my years working in the field, and my experience with my sister, any sort of diet changes that corresponded were not drastic at all, if they even occurred. Even the Autism Society of America says that studies that have been done and “miraculous” recoveries such as Evan’s may not be related to autism at all. Some people are overly sensitive to gluten in general, and therefore when the gluten was eliminated the symptoms went away.

New light is also being shone on the fact that possibly, what appears to be autism in some children is simply a reaction to the gluten. If that turns out to be the case, it seems as though Evan would fit in this category. This would be completely unrelated to the vaccinations, however, because they start to react as they begin to take in more gluten.

Autism simply does not work this way, pure and simple. She uses the word recovered to mean the word cured. She claims that her son went from non functioning to functioning in virtually no time at all. A child that is non functioning does not simply become functioning. They adapt SLOWLY, if at all through extensive treatment and family counseling.

Please don’t misunderstand my meaning when I write this. I am ecstatic that Evan has “recovered” so much. Nothing makes me happier than when I see one of my own students make even minimal improvements.

However, it scares me to death that someone is abusing their position in Hollywood and causing many children around the country to go to school without being safe against diseases that are still out there that could potentially kill them. I truly do believe that if any unimmunized child dies from a disease that they should have been immunized against, social services should look into child neglect, because it is something that is completely preventable.