David Banda’s Dad Worries About Madonna’s Divorce

When Madonna announced her divorce from husband Guy Ritchie, she no doubt wanted privacy and to be able to deal with things behind closed doors. But now she’s facing heat from a no doubt unexpected source – adopted son David Banda’s biologial father, Yohane. He has heard that the adoptive parents of his son are now divorcing, and he is not pleased with the development, even going so far as to say, when shown a picture of David in Athens,

“I am still a poor farmer with nothing to offer, but maybe he would be better off back with us. He doesn’t look happy in this picture. He looks bewildered. If there is no love in the family, is there any love for him?”

Click here to read the rest of the interview.

Yohane has a new wife, Flora, and two kids: her 3-year-old daughter Tiyamike and their seven-month-old son Dingiswayo. When he gave David up for adoption at seven weeks, after his mother died in childbirth, he never could have imagined that a superstar would one day adopt him, but the fact that she did gave Yohane hope for a stable life for his son – something Yohane is worried he will not have now.

“This is a new and terrible thing to happen to him. I am too upset to think clearly. He is only three years old and he has been through so much. I have the joy of a new family and I even have a new son. But now when I think of David in danger of living outside a family life I find it unbearable, I find it hard to believe God intended this. This woman Madonna told me herself that David was beautiful and made her happy and she promised to take good care of him. Now I see him in a big bewildering crowd in the street with people pushing and shoving, and many cameras around, and without a mother and father to hold his hand. I’m feeling bad for him.”

Yohane also goes on to say that it was Madonna and Guy’s commitment to each other, their marriage and his son that convinced him to let them adopt David, but now he’s not sure it’s the best thing for David,

“When Madonna decided she wanted David, I was very undecided. I was face-to-face with Madonna and her husband for about 30 minutes. I knew nothing about them really. They just seemed a loving couple, committed to each other, committed to marriage and committed to my son. They promised to take good care of him and always remember he was from Malawi. That’s why I let them take him. Now I feel let down and disappointed, really shocked. It feels like yesterday that Madonna promised me a happy life and good education for him. I thought she would take him away from the danger of malaria and other diseases that kill children here, and that she would let me know that he was happy. I have never heard from her since the day I agreed to let her adopt David. She has sent no photographs or news. I suppose she just wants him for herself.”

Honestly, I was not expecting this. How odd that they went and asked him.

Source: DailyMail

Photo: James Ambler/Splash News, 10/01

Filed under: David Banda Ritchie,Madonna

1. Francesca

This whole situation seemed like a bad idea from the start. All this back and forth, wishy-washy stuff can’t be good for this child. It’s also the one problem I have with celeb adoptions. These Hollywood marriages don’t seem to last…or people are unwilling to make it work despite the children that are involved. And then there you have a child who could have been adopted by another family…instead he is now from a broken home…just like Sharon Stone’s son. Very sad…

2. Leni

Only because their parents are divorced, it doesn’t mean that he’ll be fatherless. my parents divorced when i was 3 and i recall no trauma of it. I’m now 19 and my dad still calls me almost everyday, i have a much better relationship with my dad then many of my friends, who almost don’t even talk to their dads. divorce is no big deal, as long as people make an effort.

3. Leandra

As well meaning as the bio father is, this really is none of his business anymore. David has been adopted and he shouldn’t even be commenting. Lots of people get divorced – the kids will adjust…..they have no other choice.

4. Sarah J.

That’s exactly the kind of attitude that will hurt children–divorce is no big deal and kids will get over it. I think people are too quick to throw in the towel on marriage. It’s just not regarded as a sacred union anymore. When it gets difficult, just bail. As a child psychologist, I think it is a big deal and as much as people would like to believe that kids will “adjust”, it affects them for the rest of their lives. So I agree, people need to think about it long and hard before they adopt.

5. Audrey

This is ridiculous. To say he must not be happy because he looks bewildered in one picture. There could be a million reasons for him looking that way, including the papparazzi in his face. I also agree that he is adopted now, and his biological father really doesn’t have any right to say those things. He is their son, and that won’t change. He (unfortunately) will have divorced parents, just like millions of other kids. This won’t change his parents’ love for him.

6. Sam

Re: Audrey

“I also agree that he is adopted now, and his biological father really doesn’t have any right to say those things.”

Even though David e is adopted, Yohane is David’s biological father so he is always going to love and care about what happens to his son so I think he has the right to voice his concern, though he may not have the legal recourse to change what happens.

7. Isbell

Sarah J.

Its better to throw the towel fast than to be in a relationship a long when you’re unhappy and arguing with your partner everyday. Divorce is not a easy thing to do, But when there is nothing left of the marrige its better to divorce than letting your children get hurt by seeing their partents argueing everyday. And children are happy when their parents are happy, and those children who doesn’t like when their parents gets divorced, thats because they see how their parents struggle on their own with everything and how the parent are sad.. But if a parent acts happy and energetic after a divorce then the children see it in a posetive way to.
    My parents got a divorced and I lived with my mom and I saw how much better the situation became with both my parents so I was happy that they got a divorce, they both felt better afterwards. And I still have great contact with both of them.

8. Isbell

Long time*.. Became better*

9. Hola

What a hypocrite!!! He worries about Madonna’s divorce, but he obviously did not worry about his own child: he left him sick in the orphanage willage. He remarried and got another child. He should have taken care of his own child when that child was with him. And now he dares to speak?!

10. Hola, actually if I remember correctly, David was placed into an orphanage because his father couldn’t feed him. His mother died when he was born, and Yohane kept him for 7 weeks and then took him to the orphanage. That’s very common in 3rd world countries, for relatives to put kids in orphanages because they are sick or starving, so they won’t die. Yohane visited David.

I’m thinking the money to support his family now, some of it came from these “interviews.”

11. Kate

Seriously, Hola, ignorance like that is appalling and disgraceful. He left the kid in the orphanage because he is poor and no doubt couldn’t afford to keep him. Malawi is a third world country, one you’d likely never heard of before Madonna swooped in. How dare YOU speak in judgement of people living in a situation so totally foreign that you clearly cannot even comprehend the impossibility of raising a child in a country that has 133 deaths per 1,000 live births. That stat might be lower than a lot of African nations, but it’s still unspeakably high.

Malawi is improving its care of children by leaps and bounds, but there is still a very long way to go. The fact remains that there are far too many parents who are forced to give up their children to orphanages because they simply cannot afford to keep them, not because they cannot be bothered to put in the effort to raise them.

12. Bluezy

Huh….a hollywood marriage ending in divorce? Who would have guessed?? Seriously though…does he even have rights any longer to entertain the idea of taking the child back? Isn’t this adoption final yet? Is he going to be saying the same thing when the kid is 5, 10, …..or 18 and needs college tuition money? Doubtful.

13. CRHF

what is it with people and “hollywood marriages”? marriages are marriages, divorce is divorce, it’s not better or worse if it’s happening to hollywood families. get over it.