Jen & Ben Reveal Baby Name: Seraphina Rose Elizabeth Affleck

One week after the birth of their second daughter, Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck have announced her name: Seraphina Rose Elizabeth Affleck.

Seraphina was born Jan. 6 in Los Angeles. She joins 3-year-old big sister Violet.

No explanation was offered for the unique name. One website specializing in the origin of names refers to Seraphina as “derived from the Biblical word ‘seraphim,’ which was Hebrew in origin and meant ‘fiery ones.’”

What do you think? Do you like the name?

Photo: FAME

Filed under: Ben Affleck,Jennifer Garner,Seraphina Affleck

1. gia

I am sorry to say, but i strongly dislike the name…i do however like the name Violet.

2. Jackie

Surprise, surprise. Another person on another site who doesn’t like the name. At least you didn’t offer alternatives like other people have.

3. KATRINA WADE

I love the name. It’s wonderful to hear a bibical name for a change and not a boys name for a girl.

4. lillian-mackenzie

i like the name seraphina its a uncommon name but not like the stupid celebrity baby name like bronx mowgi moxie crimefighter peaunt kai zuma netsa rock little pixie

5. Carolyn

I’d love it if all their kids were named solely for flowers.

6. Jackie

“I’d love it if all their kids were named solely for flowers.”

And what if they decide to have more and have a boy?

7. lillian-mackenzie

they named him Benjamin elfin king (a type of flower) ryan affleck.

8. Jackie

I don’t know about the “elfin.” It sounds too much like someone is trying not to use the F-word.

9. nancy

Ugh! That is the worst. I’m very disappointed – I love Ben and Jen because they seem to be a normal Hollywood couple. Violet isn’t my favorite name, but it’s at least relatively mainstream! Seraphina? They should drop the first name and go with Rose or Elizabeth! It’ll be interesting to see what all of these Hollywood babies think of their names as adults.

It’s not terrible. It’s different. IMO Seraphina Elizabeth Rose flows better than Seraphine Rose Elizabeth.

11. Jess

Well she’ll probably be called Sera for most of her life which is a normal name. As well, if she dislikes it when she gets older she has the option to go by Elizabeth or Rose, both of which are names I really like. I’m not wild about Seraphina but I mean, it’s their choice and because they’re giving her extremely traditional names as her middle names then it’s really not an issue.

12. Lala

how abut Cosmo for the Cosmos flower :) But I would always think of Kramer :)

13. Maru

wow! i wasn’t expecting a name like that! i mean Violet Anne is more normal than that! But whatever, i really like the name =D
    Thanks for the information =)

14. Kate

YUCK…I am disappointed! I REALLY thought they would go for something a little cuter! Try calling your kids to leave for school…Seraphina is NOT easy to call at the same time you are calling out to Violet! Someone told me before I had kids to call them all at the same time, if they didn’t flow it DON’T do it! So…as for this amazing couple MAYBE they will call her by her middle name! HOPEFULLY cross our fingers!

15. poppy

The name is pretty, but very cartoonish.
    Hipster bb name.

16. melanie

aw man! i was really hoping for a regular name for this baby! why not rose seraphina?

17. Maru

I agree, because now that i’ve said the name a few times, Seraphina doesn’t sound that nice.

18. Laura

I like the name Seraphina. It’s refreshing and fun.

19. kelly

Seraphina is awful, but Sera is pretty. Hopefully they will call her Sera.

20. Leandra

There’s a good chance she will go by Sera and probably will request that very thing when she’s older. Serephina seems like a name from long ago. It’s different and not that bad. Far better than those horrible names Zuma Nesta or the ghastly Bronx Mowgli. Those parents should be ashamed giving their kids such awful names.

21. Lynda

I like the name Seraphina (also assuming it will be shortened to Sera). It looks contemporary but when you say it out loud it’s actually rather traditional sounding. I don’t think that Seraphina Rose Elizabeth flows at all though. Very odd to put a four syllable name at the end.

22. morgan

I really like Seraphina. It was actually a name I would have loved to have called my daughter but there was no way my husband would agree to it! I think it’s a very pretty name

23. Lioness

Wow, I’m going to have to disagree with almost EVERYONE on here, lol- I absolutely LOVE the name! Seraphina Rose… I think it’s so pretty. And also unlike the rest of you, I think it flows very well- though I think the Elizabeth is too much, I personally would’ve left it out. Man, where is you all’s sense of adventure/individuality? There are a million Roses out there, a billion Elizabeths- what is so scary or unbecoming about a name that’s a little unique? What is “normal” in a name, anyway? What’s normal here may be completely bizarre somewhere else, so “normal” is relative. I like names that are a little creative. Of all the celeb names, Seraphina definitely ranks up in the top five for me. Maybe it’s because I’ve always liked that name (though I’ve never seen it spelled that way- very pretty, I like the “ph”)- and with the “Rose”, it’s very feminine and classic. Two thumbs up from me :-)

24. Amanda

eh I like Seraphina Rose but I think they could have done without Elizabeth,it is akward to say her name and I agree what kid is going to be able to say Seraphina in kindergarent or preschool?Elizabeth is just to much,Seraphina Rose sounds much much better and its easier to pronounce and flows better,two middles name is to many.One is enough.Maybe they should have went with Elizabeth Rose or Seraphina Elizabeth?and left a second middle name out.maybe they can call her Phina or Sara not Sera that sounds like Sea Raa.Who knows the kid may grown up and change her name or asked to be called by Rose or Elizabeth.

25. Mg

It’s funny because in italian “sera” means “night”…

26. tess

I love the name. Seraphina Rose, is very pretty and sounds really good together. CONGRATS to Ben and Jen for their baby and her beautiful name. :)

27. Alessandra

Oh come on the name is horrible. How in the world can you come uo with such a name?!

28. Amy

I adore the name Seraphina, I have been thinking of that for a middle name if I have a daughter. There is another spelling for it ‘Serafina’ but personally I prefer Seraphina.
    It is a gorgeous and pretty name for who I am sure will be a lovely little girl.
    Anyway, congratulations to Ben, Jen and big sister Violet :)

29. Sara

Wow.

I didn’t like the name at first, but it’s growing on me. Maybe it’s my Jen-fan tween talking. I’d actually prefer Seraphine, but it’s alright.

And there’s multiple choices with the name. Sera, Phin (Finn) etc. I absolutely love the name Finn and Sera sounds mostly like Sara.

Hey, they gave a name with some meaning that’s not entirely gut-wrenching. I say kudos.

30. Dea

I’m sorry, Cellophane what?

31. Sara

LOL, Dea.

I predict it won’t be the last time we hear that.

32. Boba Fett

I really like the name. It sounds like a “sensitive” name just like Violet Anne does.
    I rather see names like Seraphina than Bronx, Denim, Sunday, Peanut or Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen…

33. Sam

I was hoping for more of a non Hollywood type name. Not fond of the name Seraphina. I can’t wait til these kids grow up and see what names they pick out for their own children.

34. Sadie00

It’s OK – sequence is wrong. Elizabeth Rose Seraphina Affleck flows off the tongue better.

35. Sarita

It’s not something I would pick but it’s not bad. It has a nice flow too.

36. Tiffany

You know what…….if they like it I love it. Seraphina is not so bad. I think we just all loved the name Violet so much, that we were expecting something relatively the same. Not everyone is going to be pleased with what we name our kids, but it’s their child. On a personal note I would have thought of maybe Lily Elizabeth.

Congrats to Ben & Jen

37. Janie

I don’t like the name.

38. Goose

Cool. I’m not sure about the meaning they gave though. There’s a common name in Italy–Serafina–that means “fine evening.” And that one sounds way closer than Seraphim.

39. Katrina

I LOVE this name! It reminds me of His Dark Materials, the series that includes The Golden Compass. One of the main characters name is serafina pekkala, though I kinda like the spelling Seraphina better. Its a name I would have considered for one of my kids

40. kiwibird

Are you people serious in thinking Seraphina is a weird Hollywood name?! I guess I’ve just known too many Seraphinas….

41. amanda

what a horrible name! better Elizabeth Rose Seraphina Affleck..
    how can you decide for a similar name? how can you put it in your favourite name to give a baby? poor baby!!!

42. Andreina

Seraphina
    (n.)
    A seraphine.

Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913), edited by Noah Porter.

And you know what a seraphine is, don’t you? An angel. So I think it’s a pretty sweet name.

Also, “Sera” it’s Italian for “evening”, not “night” (which would be “notte”). Sera and Sara do not have the same prononciation in Italian, though.

43. Rebecca

awful name just like Brook Smith who called her daughter Fanny. Fanny is an awful name and not pretty in the slightest. Poor Kids.