Mary-Louise Parker Urges People To Adopt

The 44-year-old mom of two tells Gotham magazine, “I remember being little and asking my parents if we could adopt. I just always was attracted to the idea, and I love what it says and I love what it means. There are millions of children in this world, and I think if you have the energy and the resources, then it’s something you should really look into.”

Mary-Louise adopted her daughter Caroline “Ash” Aberash from Africa in 2007. She also has son William, 5, from a previous relationship with actor Billy Crudup.

She’s become something of a sex symbol over the years, but Mary-Louise says that she is trying to teach her kids that beauty comes in many forms – going so far as to change a line in the book Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs! from “dinosaurs pretty, dinosaurs ugly” to “dinosaurs pretty, some dinosaurs not as pretty as other people think they are.”

Kind of a mouthful, but a good message nonetheless!

Filed under: Mary-Louise Parker

1. Becca

Does anyone watch Weeds? I love the show, and MLP’s style.

2. Peta

I’m a Weeds fan too.

3. Pencils

It’s “Dinosaurs cute, and dinosaurs not.” And I think you can be pretty or handsome and not be “cute.” The picture has a pair of pretty cutesy dinosaurs, and then the next is another pair, who are also kinda cute, I think.

4. shirilicious

But pencils, cute, pretty, handsome … is this really that big a difference for little children? I love the message MLP is teaching her kinds, which in the end is “beauty lies in the eye of the beholder” and “beauty comes in all shapes and colours”.
    Here’s another Weeds fan, loved MLP fan since I saw her in West Wing and Angels in America.

5. Pencils

I get that, shirlicious. The point is that the second pair of dinosaurs are drawn to be “ugly” but of course are rather cute, being a pair of cartoonish dinosaurs. I change the words of songs and books all the time myself–they’re frequently not very appropriate for babies! My favorite is how, during “Rock-a-bye baby,” instead of “Down will come Baby, cradle and all” I usually sing, “And Superman came and rescued them all.” Hey, he can fly, right? ;)

6. Evyn

Love her, Loves Weeds.

7. gia

Sex Symbol?? Ick.
    I do agree that more people should adopt though, not only from other countries either, but from the USA as well.