Hugh Jackman: Family Man

Hugh and Deborra-Lee Furness have been married for 12 years now, but he still sounds like a newlywed when he talks about her. Calling their marriage a “mad love affair,” he says, “I’m madly in love with her… more and more each day.”

The couple have two adopted children: Oscar, 8, and Ava, 3. Hugh, 40, says that it was a “no-brainer” for them to choose to adopt mixed race kids as that seemed to be where the greatest need exists.

“When we went first to talk to someone in Los Angeles about adoption, I remember, they said, ‘What do you want?’ I said, ‘Well, healthy would be good.’ And they said, ‘Well, what about the race?’ We’d ticked mixed race. And he said, ‘Now, listen. Please don’t, please don’t just tick that because you think it’s the right thing to tick.’ And he said to me, that we turn away children every month who are mixed race, because we can’t find families for them.”

Did you catch Hugh playing host at Sunday’s Oscars? How do you think he did?

Photo: Bauer Griffin

Filed under: Hugh Jackman

1. shirilicious

I love him! He was fantastic at the Oscars.

2. Lala

He is not only the sexiest man alive, he is not doubt also the classiest.

3. Becca

He did ok – he’s a talented guy no doubt, but I felt the Oscars were lacking this year. I don’t know what it was. Hugh is sexy though, his wife is lucky!

4. justme

He really is hot… I saw him on Broadway when he was in The Boy from Oz, and I was hoping he would sing at the Oscars!

By the way, you all would do me a huge favour by taking part in my survey: http://www.my3q.com/home2/262/yennifa/74868.phtml

It’s research for my Bachelor Thesis and I would really appreciate your participation :-)

5. tess

I loved Hugh hosting the Oscars, he’s so funny, it was the best oscars night ever (at least the ones that I saw). he’s the sexiest Man Alive, and he can dance and sing too. he’s just great, i love him:)
    I hope that next year he host the oscars too.
    just fantastic.

6. melanie

he was GREAT at the oscars! amazing singer, dancer, and actor!

and the fact that they turn away mixed race kids is really sad! my babies are mixed race.. :(

7. Rinoa

I LOVED him at the Oscars! I thought he did a fantastic job. And he seems like such a nice guy. Definitely the sexist celeb out there.

8. Hannah

The Oscars were awesome this year. 80% Jackman (He was an INCREDIBLE host, absolutely perfect!) and 20% Kate finally winning an Oscar!

9. Dea

I wonder what’s the justification for the agency to turn away mixed race kids?

10. Sanja

Dea -I think they meant that they can’t place the babies, so they don’t take their mothers on as ‘clients’ (since this is private adoption, the mother contacts the agency and then they pair her up with a couple)

11. Sarita

I love Hugh, he seems like a great guy. It’s sad that mixed race children have a smaller chance of being adopted. I wonder if that chance is just smaller than white children or also smaller than black or Asian (or any race) children.

I think many white people want to adopt white children not out of racism but also because they want to pretend that the children are theirs biologically and not have to explain all the time.

12. Sarita…right on. My husband and I our white and our children are Latino and I am so proud of their heritage and I am always happy to answer questions regarding their adoptions. A baby is a baby is a baby and if we adopted again it would definitely be another child of either a different race or of mixed races.

13. Rosy J

I love this man! He was a fantastic host for the academy awards show and seems like such a devoted dad. My friends and I often remark about the striking resemblance between him and his son Oscar. (Maybe it’s the curly hair). I knew Ava was also adopted but did not realize she was of mixed race parents. All children are a blessings and these two definitely have blessed this family and at the same time received an enormous blessings of their own being adopted into this loving family.

14. Rosy J

Please excuse the two errors I made in my previous post, but I get so passionate about some of these topic I tend to think faster that I type and it happens. Wish sometimes we had a margin for error built in here. hahaha

15. Rosy J

Uh o, it seems I made yet another typo. No more apologies. Lmbo

16. Peta

It’s ok, Rosy J. We understand you well. :)

17. Jenny-Loo

I think Mixed Race children come out so unique and exotic looking. I have always been attracted to them… It’s sad that they don’t get adopted as much ;(