Denise Richards: Kids Got Me Through Tough Times

Through her high-profile and often ugly divorce from Charlie Sheen, the death of her mother and “a lot of public scrutiny and humiliation,” Denise says that she kept in mind her mom’s advice: “You’re a lot stronger than you think. You’ll get through it.”

Now a single mom to girls Sam, 4, and Lola, 3, Denise adds:

“But I think it’s, you know, my kids. I could’ve gone one way or the other, and I have two little girls, so I needed to be a parent…. There is a lot of stuff obviously they don’t know, but I had to move forward.”

Denise, 38, is kept busy these days with her E! reality show It’s Complicated and will also be appearing on the upcoming season of Dancing with the Stars. As for love, she says she’s dating a bit but adds, “I don’t want to bring someone around my children who have been through enough.”

Have you ever seen Denise’s reality show? What do you think?

Photo: Bauer Griffin

Filed under: Denise Richards

1. Sarita

She’s not a single mom, the children have a father. I don’t like her, I think she and Charlie never thought of the children during their divorce.

2. Julia

@Sarita she IS a single mom because she’s a mom and she’s single. After parents split up, they become a single mother and a single father until they remarry…

3. ivy

lol sarita

4. melanie

agreeed!..plus doesn’t she have a nanny??

5. Sanja

Julia- I never thought that that was the definition of ‘single parent’.
    To me it’s a parent that is raising the children alone, meaning there is no mother or father in the picture. Maybe that’s because in my language the term is something like ‘self-raising parent’ (raising the child alone) and has nothing to do with the eligibility of the parent in question, it’s seen from the child’s perspective as having only one parent.

6. Audrey

I think of it as a misuse of the phrase too. My ex-daughter-in-law described her as a single parent although she and my son have joint custody. I think of what Denise is doing as personally parenting alone not being the only parent.

7. Jacie

I think you could just say a single mother is someone who never bothered to get married; while Denise is a divorced mother – it was her choice.

8. ally

If you’re a mom and you’re not dating or married to anyone…. Then you’re a single mom. Seems easy to understand to me.

My parents got divorced when I was 11 and even though my dad still helped out, I considered my mom to be a single mom.