Gwen Stefani On Zuma’s “Quirky” Name

Gwen says that she was talking baby names with her No Doubt band mate Tom Dumont’s wife Mieke, who was also pregnant at the time. When the name Zuma came up – as in Zuma Beach, California – Gwen, who was looking for a “quirky” name for her second son, pounced on it.

“I kind of stole it from [Tom],” she says. “I didn’t steal it, I mean his wife didn’t want it. It was just one of those things that just happened. I just wanted Zuma to have a little bit of a quirky name.”

Tom and Mieke ended up settling on Rio Atticus for their son, born last June.

Gwen is gearing up to hit the road with No Doubt this summer, and will be bringing sons Kingston, 2 1/2, and Zuma, 6 months, along.

“Some days I miss the old selfish touring days where you just sleep all day,” she admits. “But those days are gone. I just need to accept it!”

What do you think of the name Zuma? Has it grown on you?

Photo: Flynet

Filed under: Gwen Stefani,Kingston Rossdale,Zuma Rossdale

1. Lala

I’ve always liked the name, they are a very stylish family, and their unique names fit their kids.

2. love it! Better than the normal Names! But my Fav Name is still Kingston :)

3. Jenny-Loo

I grew up going to Zuma Beach every day during the summer and Gwen is very so cal so I think the name fits perfect and probably brings back good memories for her as is does for me.

4. feya

the name Zuma has really grown on me. at first i though oh no a never stupid name hear we go again but now i love it and also it has meaning for gwen which is good to. i read somewere else that she calls him baby zooms!!!.
    Kingston is a cool name to.

5. ll

He’s an adorable baby boy and is clearly very well-loved, but Zuma remains a horrendous name. Not QUITE as bad as Peanut, but still utterly awful.

6. melanie

it’s a fit for her family, but i don’t really like it, it’s a bit extreme in my opinion.

Nope, it’s still ridiculous.

8. Rinoa

I still hate the name too. One of my least favourite celebrity names.

9. Kat

Personally would not ever choose that name for my son but for their family it seems perfect.

10. melvin

she is the coolest and best mum you can ever get. i adore her though she’s almost double my age. baby zuma is really cute!