Gisele On Her Stepson John: “I Feel Like He’s My Son”

The Brazilian beauty describes first meeting Tom, shortly after his split from his ex-girlfriend Bridget Moynahan: “You know that feeling of, like, you can’t get enough?” Gisele asks. “From the first day we met, we’ve never spent one day without speaking to each other.”

Then, 2 1/2 months into their relationship, Gisele, 28, says they learned that Bridget was pregnant with Tom’s child.

“It was definitely a surprise for both of us. In the beginning you’re living this romantic fantasy; you’re thinking, This can’t be true, it’s so good! And then, Whoops – wake-up call!”

Tom’s son John is now 19 months old, and Gisele gushes that “He’s a little angel – the sweetest, most cuddly, loving baby. I feel blessed to have him in my life.”

She admits she’s never met Bridget, but says, “I understand that he has a mom, and I respect that, but to me it’s not like because somebody else delivered him, that’s not my child. I feel it is, 100 percent. I want him to have a great relationship with his mom, because that’s important, but I love him the same way as if he were mine. I already feel like he’s my son, from the first day.”

When she first found out Tom was going to be a dad Gisele admits that she considered leaving and encouraging him to reunite with his ex, but in the end decided that “when people break up, it’s for a reason.”

Now, a month after their surprise wedding, the supermodel reveals that she is thankful for how it all happened.

“I think it was a blessing, because otherwise I don’t think I would have known what he was made of, and he wouldn’t have known what I was made of.”

Photo: Flynet

Filed under: Bridget Moynahan,Gisele Bundchen,John Moynahan,Tom Brady

1. shirilicious

What? She has never met Bridget?! I was always under the impression that they get along well, since Gisele seems so at ease with her role as a step-mother.
    I strongly recommend Giselle that she calls her step-son’s mother and tries to get to know the woman whose child she claims to be hers. Maybe she will then realise that sentences like ““I understand that he has a mom, and I respect that, but to me it’s not like because somebody else delivered him, that’s not my child. I feel it is, 100 percent.” are an absolute no-go area. The child has a mother and Gisele can call herself lucky that his real mother allows her to be around him.

2. Allisyn

What a ridiculous comment. They don’t even have primary custody; the kid visits, and yet she feels he’s her kid?

She has no idea how out of line that statement was, or how completely self-centered.

3. JENNY-LOO

I think its weird Gisele has not met Bridget, but we don’t know the reasons for that. For all we know Bridget doesn’t want anything to do with Gisele. Its really better for the baby to have two loving mothers. I think its great Gisele feels so strongly towards him, she seems like a great step mom!

4. dlock

Being a stepmom myself. I don’t think anything that Gisele said was a no go area. It is her relationship with her stepson. She has it a lot easier than I do, because when I first started talking to my now husband, my stepdaughter was 3 going on 4yrs old. And to make matters worse we were establishing a relationship but her mom hates my husband and we don’t get her like were supposed to, she doesn’t even call or take our calls. (an ongoing court battle)

And Shirlicious, as far as her getting to know the mother of the child she claims as her own, did it ever occur to you that maybe Bridget doesn’t want anything to do with Gisele at this point and time? (eventhough it has been said that Bridget and the baby were all at the wedding. So, I don’t know how they couldn’t have met??!!) I have never met my stepdaughters mother in person (only seen her while with my husband at his custody hearings at court) and have only spoken to her on the phone a few times in the 5 yrs. I have been with my husband.

So, maybe in fantasy land they would talk and hang out and talk about how well Jack is doing, but in the real world thats not always the case. Hopefully, one day we will see a picture of the 4 of them walking down the street.
    Just a side note: Maybe its Tom Brady that doesn’t want his wife and baby mama to meet??!!

5. Jen

I think it’s more weird that he and Bridget were obviously still having sex despite being ex’s. He clearly met Giselle when they were hooking up. Exactly how then was Tom surprised that Bridget got pregnant, and why would Bridget expect him to stick around and be a doting father if their relationship was strictly casual? And why would Gisele find this type of behavior appealing and consider him marriage material?

I think there are a lot of heads in the sand here.

6. shirilicious

To me these quotes come off as rather condescending. Gisele wants John to have a good relationship with his mother? Shouldn’t it be the other way around, Bridget wants Gisele to have a good relationship with her son? Maybe it is a language barrier, maybe she didn’t meant it in such “claiming him as my own” way, but if she has never met Bridget (for whatever reasons), then this interview here isn’t going to help to get to know her. And this should be on her mind as well if she’s having the best interests for Brady on her mind, after all it’s not her child, sorry.

I think she meant well, but it just came out wrong. Lucky for the baby though, he has an extra set of hands that love him!

8. Bridget must be thrilled :P

9. dlock

Shirlicious, I don’t think that you can’t say that your “claiming him as her own son,” just because she didn’t give birth to him. And, the reason that its not the other way around, is because this article is coming from Gisele’s p.o.v. She had the interview not Bridget. Not, if an interview comes out later to respond to Gisele, than that would a different. I don’t know why people get so upset when a step parent claims there stepchild. Wouldn’t it be a problem if Giselle never mention her stepson or talked bad about him?? As a step parent myself, sometimes it seems that you can do no right. So, I learned to do what is best for my stepchild in my care and prescence, because the mother will always have something to say about the way things are being handled in our care. But, what she fails to realize that, when we do get her there are rules that we have in place that have to be followed. So, all this being said back off a little and think about what everyone involved is going thru. No one has committed a crime.

10. Sam

Oh you guys are so judgmental!! It is nobody’s business why she hasn’t met Bridget. All she meant was, and she said “I love him as if he were my own. ” There is nothing wrong with
    that. Bridget should feel lucky that even though her and Tom are no longer together, that John has people in his life that love him. Bridget knows VERY WELL that she delivered that child and she gets all the credit in the world for that…..I just think Giselle meant that even though she didn’t carry and deliver John, she still loves him as if she did. When Giselle has a baby of her own, she will realize that there is a difference, but I still think she will love John just the same.

Bridget and Tom dated for like 2 years (not casually having sex). They broke up and she found out several weeks later that she was expecting. Why is everyone implying that he was cheating on Bridget with Giselle and vice versa?

11. Jennifer

I find it a bit curious the in all the pictures of Tom, Gisele and Baby John, its Gisele holding the baby not Tom

12. Erica

I love Tom Brady and Giselle so maybe I’m a bit biased. I adore little John and I believe that he’s lucky to have a stepmom that loves him so much.First I wanna saw Giselle has a language barrier of some sort if anyone has ever heard her speak..I do believe she meant she loves John like he is her own and what’s wrong with that? She loves Tom so she must love all of Tom including his mini-me Johnny. Jada Pinkett had the best quote when it comes to being a step-mom she told her step son Tre that even though he did not come from her body he was apart of her soul and she loves him just as much as she loves her two biological kids. I think its wonderful because John won’t grow up feeling left out once Tom and Giselle start to have kids…there is no NEGATIVE here for the baby and its all about JOHN not Tom, Giselle or Bridget.

13. Sanja

Am I the only one who finds it weird that Bridget would let a woman she’s never met take care of her son full time?

And since Tom gets visitation with John and Giselle is now his wife she will be his full time caregiver, occasionally without his father present. Does she have a nanny that stays with Tom and Giselle? I just don’t get it! You wouldn’t leave a baby with a nanny you’ve never met, so how is this any different?

Just to note, I really don’t get this whole situation and timing, but they seem to put John first and that’s all that matters.

14. Jennifer

Something in that article doesn’t seem right, I seem to remember reading when John was born that Gisele & Tom visited Bridget.

15. melanie

i know i would be LIVID if i were bridget.

but she is stepping in as a stepmother and since he’s tom’s that makes him hers too….but she definitely could have chosen better wording so she wouldn’t seem sooo snobbish.

16. suz

Giselle is doing the best she can.

She has conducted herself with grace when all along she could have been running her mouth…

This is an unfortunate situation but it doesn’t have to be an unpleasant situation.

Bridget still seems incredibly angry and reluctant to move on from that.

17. Pencils

Gisele used some unfortunate words, but it sounds to me that she loves the boy very much, and how can that be a bad thing? I’m sure Tom gets plenty of visitation, and Gisele will of course be there. It sounds to me as if they’re doing their best in an unfortunate situation.

18. Janie

I think that Gisele does mean well but it was worded incorrectly.

How nice that this handsome little boy has 2 women that truly love him. That is a special gift that he will have forever.

19. anonymous

I think it is great that Giselle loves and wants to have a role in John’s life…..however, I would also like to point out that the difference between biological children and stepchildren is that even if Giselle and Tom split up….she will still have a connection to any biological children they might have…..but she would no longer really have a connection to John…..

20. shirilicious

“I don’t think that you can’t say that your “claiming him as her own son,” just because she didn’t give birth to him. ” Generally speaking, if a child has a parent who is (one of) the main legal guardian(s), then the step-parent has no right to claim said child to be her or his own. On what grounds? It is wonderful that Gisele loves her step-son and I’m more and more inclined to believe she just worded it poorly, but what I get from your comment (maybe I’m wrong) is that a step-parent should have the same rights as the mother or father. If the biological parents re still in the picture, then it’s not for the step-parents to decide whether these children are theirs or not. That would be disrespectful to everybody involved.

21. nosoupforyou

Shirlicious, well said. I have no idea what Giselle was thinking when she made those comments.

22. Audrey

Sanja. No it isn’t as if she can stop it. When my grandchildren are with my son during his custody, he has full say – where they go, who babysits, who can pick them up from school, yada yada. His ex-wife has to accept it. When they return to their mother, then my son has to accept her choices.

23. Francesca

I think a language barrier is definitely to blame for the way her comments were perceived. She meant well, but the way she came across overstepped a boundary. Although admirable that she wants to step up, she needs to be careful not to OVER step.

24. Bonitto

Francesca, you are crazy, Gisele did not over step, Tom is the boy’s father and gisele is his wife and who say Bridget has full Custody of the boy? when the child is with Tom & gisele they have full say of him and bridget can’t tell them what to do – just like when she have him they can’t tell her what to do – so get off Gisele case and go mind your own business, dont you haters have anything better to do.

25. dlock

Shirlicious, I don’t think she over stepped her bounderies. And you can claim your stepchild eventhough its not made legal by the court. I claim my stepdaughter because that child is a part of my husband. And when we said our vowels that was part of the package. So for me to not accept her and act like she doesn’t exist when she does, is crazy. I think that people need to realize that its not easy being a step-parent or a step-child. Its a very fragile relationship and it takes time to build it up and a second to tear it down. So Kudos to Gisele for stepping up. Not as easy as it sounds. I wonder how many people on this site that have bashed Gisele for her comments are actually a step-parent or been in her situation? Exactly what I thought.

26. bionoite

Gisele clearly enjoys the baby. Only thing is, that John isn’t her baby. She has emotionally lost her boundaries.