Madonna & David Banda @ Malawi School

Madonna & David Banda @ Malawi School

Madonna was photographed visiting the Raising Malawi Kabbalah School in the Namitete District Lilongwe, Malawi, on Sunday. The 50-year-old Queen of Pop was accompanied by her daughter Lourdes Leon, 12, sons Rocco Ritchie, 8, and David Banda Ritchie, 3.

Madonna arrived in the impoverished African nation over the weekend in hopes of adopting 4-year-old Chifundo James, whose name translates in English to Mercy. The girl’s 18-year-old mother died shortly after giving birth. At this time, it’s unclear if the child has any surviving relatives. This morning, Madonna attended an hour-long closed-door hearing in Malawi’s Lilongwe High Court as Judge Esme Chombo heard her application to adopt a second child from Malawi. No official ruling was made, and Madonna’s case has been adjourned until Friday, when a second hearing will take place in the nation’s capital.

Photos: Fame

Filed under: David Banda Ritchie,Madonna

1. Me

And Rocco, he’s on the second picture, beside Madonna.

2. Lucia

She has a maternal grandmother, who is fighting the adoption. She can’t raise her herself, but still wants to be able to be a part of her life.

3. Thanks Me. :)

4. LaKesha

Bravo to Madonna. No matter what is said about foreign adoptions, they do save lives.

5. Me

Oh, you’re welcome :)

6. Lucia

They do save lives, but they often tear families apart.

I’m all for foreign adoption, but you shouldn’t be able to walk into a country and just pick a child and expect there to be no fuss. According to some other news outlets, there’s 20 human rights groups trying to block the adoption since the child’s grandmother wants her back.

8. aubrey madeline

When madonna first adopted david she have a hard time doing it. Now she trying to adopted mercy

9. Sarita

I don’t understand why she adopts from a country that has a law against foreigners adopting and than on top of that she also picks children that still have family around.

I don’t understand any of it. There are a lot of children that truly have no one in the world, why not adopt those?

10. Dea

@Sarita: controversy= publicity, which is Madonna’s middle name :-)

11. shirilicious

1. There is no law in Malawi that forbids foreigners to adopt children.
    2. Why is the grandmother claiming the child back NOW? The girl is 4 years old, where has she been before word came through that Madonna wants to adopt her grandchild?
    3. If anybody would have to choose between an African orphanage and Madonna as the mother, nobody could convince me that they seriously would want a child to stay in poverty stricken Malawi where the only options this child will have are either child labour or child prostitution.

12. Lucia

I already explained. With Mercy there, the grandmother can still be part of her life, even though she can’t afford to raise her on her own.

And between being raised by Madonna and being with my natural family that loved me and wanted me? I’d choose my family.

I just saw a program on Entertainment Tonight about the school Mdonna is funding in Malawi and I am pleased to see her donating money for this wonderful cause. My interest in education and helping in that area leads me to avail myself in anyway I can and would be happy to work with Madonna in education as a retired special education teacher.