Keith Urban On His Daughter’s Unusual Name

Keith Urban On His Daughter's Unusual Name

When Keith and his wife Nicole Kidman welcomed Sunday Rose last July it was speculated that she was named after Sunday Reed, the muse of Australian artist Sidney Nolan. The country star tells Ellen DeGeneres that his daughter’s name holds a more personal meaning for him as well.

“Particularly when you don’t have someone in your life… in my experience, Sunday was the loneliest day,” he says in an episode set to air tomorrow. “It went from being sort of the most dreaded day of the week for us to being the most joyous day, because we just had a family.”

Keith, 41, and Nicole are both native Australians, though they now make their home in Nashville. He admits the combination may result in Sunday picking up a rather unique accent.

“I think she may say, ‘Good day, ya’ll.’ A nice mix.”

Do you like the name Sunday Rose?

Photo: Bauer Griffin

Filed under: Keith Urban,Sunday Rose Kidman Urban

No, I do not like the name Sunday Rose (or Sunday Roast) as some are calling her. Surely they could have come up with something better than naming their child a day of the week.

2. Amanda

that is a pitiful excuse for naming your child Sunday.

3. aubrey madeline

really lame

4. Georgie

In no way do I like the name Sunday……. when we named our two girls both names had to go through the nursery school test, how could they have missed the ‘sunday roast’ thing!!!!!!!

5. Lucia

I think it’s beautiful. Definitely better than naming your child something just because you like the name. There is meaning behind her name.

6. ivy

i like it, im not a fan of picking a common name just so your kid wont get made fun of. they’re going to get made fun of for something, its part of life.

7. Allisyn

I think it’s a beautiful name. Different without being stupid. People have been naming their kids Tuesday for years, Tuesday Weld anybody?

The Sunday Roast nickname is not going to catch on in Nashville. Maybe in Britain or Australia, but that’s not where they live.

8. Dea

Nope, dont like the name. Hopefully next time they have a child they wont name him/her Thank God Its FRIDAY or MONDAY blues..

9. G

I didn’t like it at first but it has gown on me. It sounds pretty (witout thinking what it means) and its traditional without being too common or too traditional. I admit that if someone named a child a Sunday in my language it would take a lot to get to used to.

10. Georgie

Ivy, we put our girls names through the nursery school tests and came up with Clementine and Flora. Both are neither common nor offensive or weird which might lead them to be teased. Names don’t have to be common to be ‘teasing safe’.

11. Dylan Rose

I think it’s really cute, and Sunday Roast didn’t even cross my mind when I heard it (maybe I’m just not that bright ;) ).
    By the way (and this is a really small, insignificant detail) when Australians say ‘Good day’ (and I know this because I am one) you spell it as ‘G’day’. That’s what Keith would’ve meant when he said that because it’s kind of the Aussie catch-phrase greeting.
    Anyway, they’re a pretty cute family.