Kate Winslet Avoids The “Perfect Life”

Kate Winslet Avoids The "Perfect Life"

Oscar-winner Kate Winslet’s life is not quite as glamorous as you might expect. The Finding Neverland star says that she purposely avoids luxuries like nannies and personal chefs because she doesn’t want her kids Mia, 8, and Joe, 5, to get used to a “movie star existence.”

“I don’t have the perfect life. There are things I could implement within my life that would probably make it easier. But I deliberately don’t do it because if I did, I would be living that movie star existence that I really try and resist,” Kate, 33, says. “I mean, it’s very tempting to have a nanny and live in a gated community and have a chef – I’d love to have a few dinners cooked for me. But I don’t want that for my children. When they’re older, if people say to them, ‘Did you have a chef?’ I want them to be shocked by the question.”

Kate’s husband is Revolutionary Road director Sam Mendes.

If you could afford it, would you hire a chef and nanny for your family?

Filed under: Kate Winslet

Photo credit: Splash

1. Becca

Maybe a chef part time, like Thurs-Sat. Let’s face it – most people order take-out to avoid cooking, or they just don’t have time to cook.

2. Sanja

No nanny or chef for me, but I’d definitely get a maid. I HATE vacuuming and doing the dishes!

3. carolyn

I definitely second the maid idea, too, that would be so nice! Laundry is the worst!!

4. A Bird

I don’t think I would. I love raising my children and even love cooking- although I dread the cleaning up part ;o) I love cooking with my children, I love cooking for them, I love toting them to soccer and dance, and going on thier field trips to school. If I had a nanny, I would miss out on WAY too much! But maybe I will agree with Becca- a part time chef might be nice, and throw in a maid- I’ll take the maid ;o)

5. melanie1983

i wouldn’t hire a nanny because i love every minute i get with my children. but we sort of already have a chef, just tuesdays and thursdays though, lol! i’m not really a great cook but i have a thousand cook books and only make my family suffer 5 days out of the week.=]

6. Kendra

I would totally have a maid that came 2x a week or something. Maybe a chef but probably not cooking isn’t so bad and I like leftovers also no regular nannies but man it would be cool to have someone take the kids for a day and I could go to the lunch and get a mani pedi with my friends.

7. What Kate says is nice but she is lying. No chef is fine but she does have help. She has said so in previous interviews. She goes back & forth from Cali, NY to London. Then on location sets throught Europe & the Carribbean. She leaves her kids bc Mia was in school, so s/t Joe would come. Now he is in school so he too stays home for his school.
    I like how she feels but y lie? You’re more relatable when you’re HONEST.
    (dont 4get Mia’s dad is KAte’s es husb).