Brad Pitt Talks Love & Marriage

Brad Pitt Talks Love & Marriage

In a very candid new interview, Hollywood heartthrob – and dad-of-six – Brad Pitt talks to Parade magazine about everything from same sex marriage to his personal definition of true love. Here’s a look at what makes the 45-year-old actor tick – and what makes him “mental.”

On what he wants for his kids: “Would it bother me if a child of mine turns out to be gay? No, not one bit. Listen, I want my kids to live the lives they want to live. I want them to be fulfilled. I hope I teach my kids to be who they really are.”

On what makes him “mental:” “Man, I resent people telling others how to live! It drives me mental! Just the other night, I heard this TV reverend say that Angie and I were setting a bad example because we were living out of wedlock, and people should not be duped by us! It made me laugh. What damn right does anyone have to tell someone else how to live if they’re not hurting anyone? How many times do you think real love comes to someone in a lifetime? If you’re lucky, maybe two or three.”

On the meaning of real love: “Do you know how you tell real love? It’s when someone else’s interest trumps your own. I like to put it that way: trumps your own. Love of somebody else – of family, of your kids – becomes the most important, most worthwhile thing in your life. It’s what you foster and protect. You have to recognize real love when it’s there and know that in going after it there is always risk. To live with love, you have to chance losing it. That’s also true when you decide to have kids. It’s the risk you take for love.”

On why he hasn’t married Angelina Jolie: “I have love in my life, a soul mate – absolutely. When someone asked me why Angie and I don’t get married, I replied, ‘Maybe we’ll get married when it’s legal for everyone else.’ I stand by that, although I took a lot of flak for saying it – hate mail from religious groups. I believe everyone should have the same rights. They say gay marriage ruins families and hurts kids. Well, I’ve had the privilege of seeing my gay friends being parents and watching their kids grow up in a loving environment.”

On life as a family man: “My life has been about big changes. It’s always been that way. When I go down a path, I take it to the end. Then I take another one. I took the path of not having kids – now it’s time for family. Children are a dominant value in my life now, and they weren’t before. They were always something I thought I’d get around to having when the time was right. It wasn’t what I was really seeking. In a way, I think I had to go and exhaust me before I could be good at being a parent. This family is full of life! There are laughs, aggravations, irritations, but at the end of the day, it’s fun. When life is really good, it’s messy.”

On his traveling brood: “I travel a lot. I don’t feel restless, I just like to travel. I like to see it all. We’re trying to spend more time in the South of France, because our kids have a more normal life there. I don’t believe there is any way around our kids being international. So we have projects in each of their respective countries, and we put a big emphasis on their learning their native languages.”

On building his dream home: “This was my first architectural experience where I tried doing something myself. It is something I wanted to do for decades. This is like play to me. It’s the only thing that can take me away from any problems I may have. After a few years of work, it came out so nice. Now I’ve got so many damn kids, it’s the only place we could all fit in. We’re double-bunking rooms as it is.”

On the hidden grotto behind the waterfall at their pool: “[It's] a great place for sex.”

Filed under: Brad Pitt

Photo credit: Flynet

1. Kylie

I love Brad’s interview. It was very sweet. It’s obvious he loves Angelina and all six kids.

It’s nice that he won’t care if one of his kids is gay and will be supportive.

This was just a great interview.

2. anon

He makes me want to barf.

3. Janie

Blah, blah, blah! Who cares? He makes me want to puke!

What is the big deal about Brad Pitt?

He and Angelina Jolie deserve each other – two idiots!

Lucky for him, his idea of what “real love” is seems to be much more flexible than mine. I guess it’s a lot easier to be engaged half a dozen times and cheat on your wife that way.

6. Theresa

man I love this guy…honest…to the point and living the life he loves the way he wants!!!

Wow – he looks terrible in this picture. He is not aging very well!

So sick of hearing about this egotistical, self righteous family!
    There is nothing special about them at all!

9. Rosa

Thank you, so very overrated.

10. Ava

About his whole “We won’t get married until everyone can” well that didn’t stop him the first time. On another site someone made a point of “What’s next, is he going to live in a tent until they’re are no more homeless people.” lol

Brad Pitt should keep his big mouth shut! He sounds like an idiot!

12. Stacy

Wow, why are you all so harsh on these people. Remember that saying, until you walk in that person’s shoes. No one has the right to judge anyone. We are all people, living in this world, trying to make it better for the next generation. Or at least that’s what I tought….

I come from the Middle East and to us, marraige means sex (not just that, it means a lot of things), but in fact, you can’t openly have sex with someone unless you’re married (although people do it sometimes in secret). So its one of the reasons why the wedding day and the idea of marraige is very special (since moving in is obviously not allowed either).

When we look at the west, this is our idea, if they can have kids and not be frowned upon by society, and if they can engage in sexual relations openly, whats the big deal about marriage?

I understand a priest condemning it, since to him, they shouldn’t be engaging in sexual activiy unless they’re married, but do the average American I’d be curious to understand why many people who have been living together for like 5 years decide to get married.

Let me make a disclaimer here, if my comment sounded judgamental in any way, its not! I’m simply interested in the cultural difference there and the idea of “living in sin” because its alive and kicking in our region and I just wanted to understand what it means in the west. I’ve talked to many of my female friends before about it and they all agreed that if they can live together with their BFs, they would never get married, but then again thats hypothetical and you never know what they would do if that a true situation!

14. Lioness

Anonymous, here in the West, marriage is about more than love, commitment, and “moral” sex- it also has legal factors to it. Legally, a married couple is different than an unmarried one living together. Unfortunately it’s often why many women try marry rich- if they divorce, they’ll most likely get a nice settlement (this happens not just here in the West, mind you, that’s a phenomenon that happens all over the place). An unmarried couple doesn’t legally have financial obligations to each other- also why you often see rich celebrity couples never get married. They need each other’s companionship, not financial security- and don’t want to complicate it with marriage certificates and things, lol. At least, that’s what I think.

I personally think a lot of people get married because it makes them feel more secure- if you’re in a relationship for a long time and don’t get married, many people get afraid that their significant other wants the option to leave whenever he or she wants. Which I guess is true- but it makes people feel very uneasy. People like Brad and Angelina, Halle Berry and Gabriel Aubry, Matthew McConaughey (sp?) and Camila Alves, my sister and her boyfriend- they don’t feel this uneasiness, I guess.

I think the big deal about marriage in our society- again, MY own opinion- stems from religion and its teachings. Same as in your society. Here in America, having children out of wedlock is still widely frowned upon, though sex before marriage is pretty widely accepted. And long-term relationships that don’t end in marriage is often looked down on, as well. It’s why you see so many commenters disagreeing with Brad Pitt.

I married my husband because I love him and only him, and I don’t want anyone else, so I decided to make it legal so we could more easily share our lives together. I, like Brad, also believe in gay marriage. I also don’t feel that if you don’t get married to your partner, you’re a bad person. I feel that everyone should live as they see fit- it’s none of my business what you do in your house, as long as you’re not harming anyone.

Anyway, enough from me. I just wanted to give you one American’s viewpoint on your question (and I mean ONE American- I certainly don’t speak for the whole country, only myself). To everyone else, what’s so bad about what Brad said?

Love it, he’s never been so open and honest before. He is a happy man now and has found his real love. Good for him!
    All the best for the Jolie-Pitts!

Wow, he is pretty full of himself isn’t he? Jeeze, can’t believe he has ANY biological children TBH.

18. anon

People who truly love each other don’t have to constantly tell the world how they feel about each other. These two have to prove to the world that their relationship is special and that they were meant for each other. I do agree that they deserve each other. They are two of the most insufferable bores ever.

19. keepher-kat

wow, they are so much hatred here that could kill. I would like to see some of you in your every day life, it must be amazing……………………………………………..

Why keepher? What would that accomplish? I think if you saw celebrities in their “everyday” lives your opinion might change too ;)

I like his comments about gay marriage and the possibility of having a gay child. Besides that, he’s so full of himself. He comes across as pretentious and a bit arrogant at times.

22. Traveler

You people are being a bit rough on him. He always talks about his relationship with Angelina, their love, and his children because he’s always asked about it. He’s simply answering the interviewer as honestly as he can. If he dodged the questions or talked around them, then you’d be complaining that he’s not being honest and answer the questions he was asked. You’d be wondering why he felt the need to hide his life. These two people can’t win for trying. If you really don’t like them, then why are you on here commenting? Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to just pass over any story about them and move on with your lives? Why bother wasting your time reading his interview if you hate him so much? I think your here because putting down Pitt and Jolie is a way to make yourselves feel more important. It’s really rather pathetic.

• Jeannie

I agree 100% – If they have the love and can financially & emotionally care for their family – what difference does it make if they are married or not. I strongly believe in marriage, but there has to be exceptions to every rule. Because they are celebrities, they are in the news for practically every little or big thing they do. What about the family where the parents took in a lot of special needs children because they had the love to share and they wanted to give of themselves. They were never in the DAILY news – not until they were murdered for no reason. I may not agree with everyones choices on how to live their lives – but I respect their rights to live their lives as they see fit. Maybe we should all spend more time trying to figure out what we as individuals could do to help & support these people who are willing to share their lives with others and gives them opportunities they may not have had otherwise. Just my opinion.

23. barnabyjones

DIDO….traveler

24. anon

Pitt and Jolie are pretentious bores who can’t stop talking about themselves because they think their lives and what happens with them are important. Yes, they are asked questions about themselves however, they can refuse to answer them. HIs new movie is out so of course we will be getting myriad examples of their perfect love and life. Next will come the strategic donation of a large amount of money to a charity to again prove how wonderful they are. Bottom line is that most people have recognized how they operate and are not haters just tired of the endless drill of how wonderfully in love they are. They are predictable and boring and their philanthropy is to obliterate Angelina’s sordid past.

HURT ANYONE: lets ask all the other marriages Angelina wrecked (all leading actors or actresses)! I wonder did they hurt. Lets ask Antonio Banderas did his wife mind babysitting him from this slut so she wouldn’t be like Jennifer Aniston! Lets ask Jennifer did she feel like a fool when she took him back and believed him when he said they where just friends! When she publicly said she believed him, then BAMM the pictures of vacations with kids ca,e out and Jolie belly swelled! Lets ask her is she over it! She would probably tell you no, but truth is in her relationships! Once betrayed the guards are hard to drop! They have hurt plenty with there actions and everyone should lock up there spouses because they don’t discriminate they take both straight and gay! Maybe that is what Brad likes and the freedom that he don’t have to marry this skank! Ahh thats why he can’t stand for people to tell him how to live, Jolie may find out she will reap what she sow! Look people everyone aint rich and we know most of the rich are disfunctional and more addicted to drugs, sex, achohol, and greed! Look at the state this country is in from greedy corrupted rich people! Every time you turn around some one cheating or stealing and public officials using tax payers dollars while not taking responisbility and refusing to vacate position! ITS CALLED MORALS, VALUES, RESPONSIBILITY, AND ACCOUNTABILITY! If the average person live like this with a growing tribe of unproductive, uneducated, undisciplined, do what you want people I guess we wouldn’t want them running our country! TOO LATE only thing is it is the rich!!!! They should only screw up there lives not the lives of children and other people! YOU PEOPLE NEED JESUS! or move to your own island all the wanna be swingers, pedophiles, homosexuals, criminals, crooks, athiest, rapest, corrupt politcians, Nancy Grace the lying lawyer, rush limbaugh, nimphos, and yall would have yall own civilization. And no one would be hurt because everyone wants the same thing and rape would just be considered rough sex and no religious principles to hold you back. I remember a place like that Sodom and Gomorrah, but hey rumor has it they where destroyed and they sinned feeled heaven! But hey what do you have to worry about if you don’t believe in God no worries, but if you are wrong when he comes then that could be a problem! I think i will just keep it safe and believe!