Kourtney Kardashian: Her Decision To Keep Her Baby

Kourtney Kardashian: Her Decision To Keep Her Baby

Kourtney Kardashian, who recently announced that she is expecting her first child, spent a lot of time trying to decide whether or not she would terminate the pregnancy.

“I definitely thought about it long and hard, about if I wanted to keep the baby or not, and I wasn’t thinking about adoption,” the 30-year-old reality show star tells PEOPLE exclusively. “I do think every woman should have the right to do what they want, but I don’t think it’s talked through enough. I can’t even tell you how many people just say, ‘Oh, get an abortion.’ Like it’s not a big deal.”

The baby’s father, Kourtney’s boyfriend Scott Disick, 26, was very supportive of her decision either way: “He wanted me to talk about it more, but I just kept to myself,” she says. “He said, ‘I really want you to keep it, but I will support you whatever you decide to do.’” Kourtney and Scott had split up in November after a two year relationship, but recently reconciled after learning that she was pregnant.

Kourtney reached out to her best friend for advice: “”I called my best friend crying, and I was like, ‘I don’t know what to do.’ She said, ‘Call your doctor, and at least find out the risks and stuff.’” The actress then discussed abortion with her doctor and researched the option on the Internet.

“I looked online, and I was sitting on the bed hysterically crying, reading these stories of people who felt so guilty from having an abortion. I was reading these things of how many people are traumatized by it afterwards.”

These stories were enough for Kourtney to realize that abortion was not an option for her: “”I was just sitting there crying, thinking, ‘I can’t do that,’ ” she says. “And I felt in my body, this is meant to be. God does things for a reason, and I just felt like it was the right thing that was happening in my life.”

Kourtney tells PEOPLE that she then did some “intense soul-searching”: “For me, all the reasons why I wouldn’t keep the baby were so selfish: It wasn’t like I was raped, it’s not like I’m 16. I’m 30 years old, I make my own money, I support myself, I can afford to have a baby. And I am with someone who I love, and have been with for a long time.”

She also says that though she went to others for advice, her decision was hers alone and that was the most important: “I really wanted to think it through for myself, and not hear what my sisters were saying, or what Scott was saying. Even though I took it all in, I wanted it to be my decision,” says Kourtney. “My doctor told me there is nothing you will ever regret about having the baby, but he was like, ‘You may regret not having the baby.’ And I was like: That is so true. And it just hit me. I got so excited, and when I told Scott he was so excited. But I think if I had said I’m not going to keep it, I really think he would have pushed me into keeping it.”

On Thursday (August 13) The Kourtney & Khloe Take Miami star revealed in an appearance on NBC’s Today Show that her baby is due in December.

Filed under: Uncategorized

she disgusts me

I am a little taken back by this. I have watched her show and this is not the first time she has had a pregnancy scare. She is 30 years old and by now should know the consequences for haveing sex. All she would have to do is watch a rerun of her own show, reflecting her own life, to see how “worried” she was when she thought she and Scott where pregnant before. Now she wants the world to give her a big hug for not aborting her baby? I feel sorry for her baby. Poor baby is being used as a publicity stunt and will have to read how he/she was almost an abortion. Not fair.

I agree. Pity how americans want to save the whales, save the alligators, save this animal and that but think it’s okay to kill their own babies.

Sorry, but you are sadly misinformed about American law. It is illegal to kill babies here, just as it is in every other country.

(Abortion has nothing to do with killing babies, as fetuses are not babies. Perhaps you should make an effort to understand the terminology better before commenting on the subject, particularly when it concerns the legal choices of other people, which are none of your business.)

How foolish and ignorant of you when it comes to murdering innocent babies. I’m well aquainted medically and know for a fact the heart beat of a fetus is formed at a very early stage even before the suggested time of abortions. Never the less, let’s say for arguments sake, it’s just a fetus and not a baby. How sick and twisted that we have become so numb that we can abort or terminate a potential life. This country has become so immune to liberalism and ungodliness. What does God think of the whole thing. At the end of the day, we will all stand before Him and give an account of our actions. The very air you breath, is only “borrowed” from the very God that you will oneday stand before. Whether or not you believe in Him, you will stand before Him and I can only wish I would be there to see your beet red face when judgement is set.

Sorry, not everyone believes in God. I don’t care what “God” thinks about the situation because I think God is a figment of your imagination. You post is pretty much irrelevant to me, and if anyone is foolish and ignorant in this conversation, it’s not me. If you choose to believe what you wrote, that’s your business, but it’s really offensive to try to apply them to other people who don’t believe the same things you do.

The Bible says life begins at conception…regardless of whether you believe it or not, does not make it any less true. Aren’t you glad your mom didn’t believe in abortion?

kill the baby its not a baby the correct terminology would be fetus thank god abortion are illegal in this country I am 15 years old, and know the consequences she is not 16 years old anymore wake up your a full grown adult

4. Katrina

If you’re referring to this country as the United States, then no, abortion is NOT legal up until 9 months. There is a time limit on when an abortion can be performed. I dont really agree with her talking about it, just becuase its an intensely private thing to be airing to the media.

5. emmie

she’s 30 yrs old – you have 13 yr olds who know what the consequences of having sex is for crying out loud!! she’s not a little girl anymore hello wake up kourtney!

you’d think at age 30, she’d be responsible enough to know she has to take care of the baby herself. she got herself into it. you shouldnt have to warn a 30 year old by saying “honey…if you don’t use a condom there’s a possibility you’ll get pregnant”—she needs to step up and act her age… she has a baby on the way for Gods sake!!!!!!!

7. jaden

her poorr child now will always know she could have not existided because of her own mother. ugh! what is she thinking!!!!!!

8. Peta

Aug 19, 2009 @ 11:29 am
    Anonymous said:

think about the animals….

animals cant speak up for themselves, baby cannot either but at least it is not a full life form yet and cant fell pain animals have just as much rights the whales the alligators innocent creators life being taken away from them for what? why, for being sweet most animals are the only creators evolved enough to sustain pure love and kindness as well as a little baby it just brings you instant joy to see them smile or play.. I am not exactly for abortions but everyone has there own rights and can choose what they want to do!!!

go on http://www.peta.com to see what there doing to these poor animals

You said “baby cannot either but at least it is not a full life form yet and cant fell pain” A baby (unborn) can’t feel pain? Given that abortion is “legal” in this country until the ninth month – are you serious? Do you really believe a baby doesn’t feel pain until birth at full term? The National Organization for women has done a terrific job of misinforming you.

9. Shaya

I wish she would just stop talking!

Thank God abortion is legal in this country. Why would she not talk about it, it’s not a criminal act. We need to stop judging others and let them decide for themselves.

11. Janie

Kourtnely is pathetic.

Why is she sharing such personal information with the media?

What is she famous for? Absolutely nothing!

How vulgar. Sharing this is so trashy. You do not speak about this kind of thing publicly. I hope no one uses this topic to fight and bicker about their beliefs/pro life/pro choice. This is such a personal thing and that is what I take issue with- period. This kind of thing is to be discussed amongst family or friends if even that.. how disgusting has our celeb culture of oversharing become?