Update: Katherine Heigl Confirms Adoption Plans

Update: Katherine Heigl Confirms Adoption Plans

Update: Katherine Heigl confirms reports that she is adopting a 10-month-old baby girl named Naleigh from Korea on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, airing on Friday (September 11). The 30-year-old Grey’s Anatomy star opens up about Naleigh’s “serendipitous” birthday, how hubby Josh Kelley has supported her dreams to adopt from day one, and how Naleigh is a baby with special needs.

On Naleigh’s special birthday: “She was actually born the day before me in November which I thought was really serendipitous and just kind of like a sign. I realized just recently that I basically forfeited my birthday for the rest of my life.”

On how she and Josh were able to adopt so quickly: “She is a special needs baby and because of that it all moved so much faster. They wanted to get her to us as quickly as possible.”

On her decision to adopt: “It’s been a big part of my life and my family. My sister is Korean and my parents adopted her back in the 70s and so I just always knew that this is something I wanted to do.”

On her husband, musician Josh Kelley: “I just wanted to make sure that I was marrying a guy who understands that this was going to have to happen. So about a year ago is when we said, ‘OK, let’s start the process,’ and the process is intense. It’s different but it isn’t, do you know what I mean? It’s just as intense I’m sure to have a baby biologically because you’re going through the whole physical sort of thing of it.”

Click below to read original post…

RadarOnline reports that Katherine Heigl and her husband Josh Kelley are set to adopt a baby this week!

The 30-year-old Grey’s Anatomy star is becoming a mom to a 10-month-old baby girl. The baby is from Korea and her full name is Nayleigh and will be nicknamed Leigh.

As we previously reported, the couple have been planning to adopt from Korea for over a year. Katherine’s sister, Meg, was adopted from Korea over 30 years ago which has made the Knocked Up star feel connected to the culture.

Heigl is currently on a leave of absence from Grey’s and starts filming the big-screen feature Life As We Know It next week.

“She is thrilled,” a source tells Radar. “She and Josh are so happy.”

Filed under: Adoptions,Katherine Heigl

Photo credit: AXELLE/bauergriffinonline.com

1. AWESOME!!! As a mom of two adopted children, I think it is wonderful that Katherine and her husband have chosen this path to create their family! I know how exciting this time is for them!!! Congrats!

2. Theresa

I was so happy to read this news…dispite what you may think of Katherine…I can’t help but think how Naleigh’s life will change for the better…even if she is raised by a nanny…which I think Katherine may surprise a lot of readers and be a terrific mom…from what I have read adoption wasn’t a spur of the moment decision for her…but something she has thought about for years…so to the new family of 3…congrats!

3. Tasha

She has quit smoking recently and she is taking time off from Grey’s to be with her new baby. I wish everyone would stop giving her crap. It’s an extremely noble and unselfish thing that she’s doing.

• Moore

She is taking time off but its to film a movie. adoption may be noble but if a person adopting doesn’t have the greatest intentions then it becomes a selfish act. I’m actually hoping she does go off and be a good mom. That would be much better than the crap she spouts out.

4. Janie

She is so self centered I am surprised she would want a child to take care of.

5. melanie1983

wow really? i see her as only being into herself and career. that’s just how i see her

6. christine

I’m not a huge fan of her, but you have to admit that it’s pretty amazing that she’s choosing to adopt a special needs baby. Seriously, how many celebrities have you known to do that, let alone “regular” people?? I think it’s great, and I hope that that fact gets a lot of media attention.

7. Anonymous2

Adopt this week, start filming movie next week? Well that makes perfect sense. At least the nanny will be able to bond with the baby.

8. Moore

I’m not surprised she’s adopting. After hearing how she thinks childbirth is unnecessary among other things, I’m glad she didn’t get pregnant. We’d never hear the end of it.

9. jane

She acts like such a diva!

Hope she stops cigarette smoking before this baby arrives.

The child will be raised by a nanny.

She is just doing this so that she can look good in the media!

10. sheila

What people are saying here is kind of gross and hypocritical. Has anyone said anything about SJP having twins and going out to film a couple of months later? There are soooo many examples of celeb babies being raised either in part or to the most part by nannies. Not that I think that’s cool, but give me a break – either hold your standars equal to everyone or just don’t comment. She surprised me too with these news, but for crying out loud, give the woman a chance. I have a sneaking suspicion that some folks out there will like to resent her now and speak poorly of her because she is doing something that they themselves are too selfish to do. I for one would like to congratulate Katherine and her hubbie on the courage to do what they are doing. Critique, if deserved, can come down the line. For now I’m happy for them.