Dannielynn Birkhead “Misses Her Mom So Much”

Dannielynn Birkhead "Misses Her Mom So Much"

After just settling into their new home in Louisville, Ky., Larry Birkhead and his daughter Dannielynn, who turned 3 on Monday, are counting their blessings. The 36-year-old single father sat down with OK! to discuss Dannielynn’s birthday, her uncanny resemblance to mama Anna Nicole Smith and how she is starting to miss her late mother.

On Dannielynn turning 3: “It seems only weeks ago I was bringing her home and now all this time has gone by and she’s bigger and wiser and such a great kid. Her birthday is a happy occasion. Parties are always stressful for me because I try to make them these big blowouts. But she’s at the age where she appreciates it now and she’s excited — although I’ve been warning her that she has to give up her bottle when she turns 3, so we’ll see how that goes.”

On Dannielynn looking just like Anna: “It just happened in the last year. I have photos where they look exactly the same. She loves posing for the camera like Anna, too. And she’s going to be tall like her mommy.”

On if Dannielynn misses Anna: “She misses her mom so much. Right now she’s at the age where she’s noticing that other children in television and in books have moms. She said to me the other day quite seriously, “Where’s my mom?” It was sad but I explained to her, “Your mommy is in the clouds and you’ll see her again one day.” She knows who her mom is, though — I make sure of that. Our home is filled with photos of Anna and recognizes her straight away. I want to keep her mom and Daniel in her mind.”

On the cute things she does: “We were flicking through stations on the radio in the car the other day and she starts singing along to this song, “You’re a jerk, you’re a jerk.” I have to watch what I say around her now because she’s a sponge.”

On if he loves fatherhood:
“I do! It’s hard work and time consuming but it’s worth it when I hear her laugh. All my friends are out in bars, but I don’t miss it. In fact, I’m morphing into my parents — I’ve become corny and sensible.”

On his hopes for Dannielynn:
“I just want her to be a kid and not worry about all the nasty things going on in this world. I’m her shield and that’s how it will always be.”

Filed under: Dannielynn Birkhead,Larry Birkhead

Photo credit: OK!

1. Lilly

She’s a beaty, God Bless her. I do think that Larry should stay away from the media for a while and give this little girl a chance at a normal life.

She misses her mom? She never knew her mom!

Just me or is anyone else stunned with the “she has to give up her bottle when she is 3 ” thing? That seems a bit old to me.

• Dana

No, I would not say “stunned.” We took my daughter’s away from her when she turned 4. She’s 8.5 now and a very bright, articulate child. Who are we to judge?

This may sound terrible, but I think her mom dying may have been the best thing to happen for this little girl…what I mean is that she’s clearly being raised in a pretty stable, loving home, by a sober, present parent. I can’t help but think that she’s going to have a much better shot at a normal, happy life than she would have if she were being raised by her mother. At least she stands a chance of not ending up like her brother. It’s sad that she doesn’t have a mom, of course, but maybe the fantasy of the beautiful mommy waiting for her in heaven is better than the reality of a strung-out, manipulated drug addict.

5. Traveler

Really, we haven’t seen very many pictures of Dannielynn lately. We saw them in the airport, but that’s about it. He seems to only do the photo shoots near her birthday each year. Once a year is ok. That’s not bad and the child probably thinks it’s just daddy getting some pictures taken of her. They don’t seem to be mobbed when they’re out and they usually keep a pretty low profile.

It sounds like he’s a wonderful parent. He grew up a lot after she was born which is a good thing. I like how he keeps pictures of Anna and Daniel around and talks to her about her mother. Anna tried to keep his daughter from him to the point of claiming someone else was the child’s father. He’s been able to forgive and put that aside for the sake of his child and that’s very admirable.

Dannielynn should have a normal life, and her father should try to find a job just like all single parents. Dannielynn shouldn’t be a tabloid fodder like her late mom.

7. amber

@marty
    she has an eye surgery last year. it was successful, so i guess her vision/eyes are fine now.

8. carolyn

Wow, she does look a lot like Anna now… and yeah, she looks really tall for 3! Adorable girl. :)

9. jane

Very cute kid but why are they doing professional photo shoots?

They should just be leading a very quiet normal life!

10. SarahEG

She is soo cute! Wow, how much she has grown! They both look very happy!

What’s with the “pedophile” comment ? He’s a single father of a little girl.
    I personally think he’s doing a great job. He’s sure been through hell just to gain custody of her and raise her. God Bless them both.
    The bottle thing, could be worse, she’s not wearing pullups or sucking a binkie like Violet Afflack. THAT I find worse.

12. Suzanna

Sorry, she looks like any other kid out there… Nothing special about her. And this father of hers, WOW… That’s all I can say. I guess it’s safe to say he’s rich for life… All he seems to do is to give interviews to gossip magazines, pose for pictures, sell some mediocre story, and get paid for it. I’ll be sure NOT to buy this magazine. Or any other magazine that this “generic” looking kid is on, or anything that has this pedophile father on it.

yeah, the “where’s my mom” thing made me tear up!

14. sheila

She looks like a happy girl. I have to admit that I’m surprised Larry seems so dedicated. They seem really close. And, yeah, I know this is PR, but their connection and even what he’s saying looks and sounds genuine. I’m happy for them.

15. Marty

Does Dannielynn still have problem with strabismus ?

16. melanie1983

why are people so cruel? ‘she misses her mom, she never even knew her mom.’ ‘there’s nothing special about her’.
    dannielynn is such a beautiful little thing! larry seems to be doing a great job raising her! keep it up, despite the haters.

17. Mig

Wow, Suzanna. That’s all *I* can say….

18. jane

Does Larry Birkhead have a job?

yes he does have a job, and hes doing it.,raising and taking care of his daughter, and protecting her from those who would use and abuse her, which is exactly what he should be doing as her father.

19. Aussie Mum

I think Dannielyn is a beautiful child and her father is doing a good job. You can’t make a 3 year old fake happiness like that for a photo. She looks loved and well cared for and the look in his eyes show he loves his daughter as well. I agree with the comment about not viewing a site called Celeb babies if you don’t like what you see. The pedophile comment got me as well. Where did that come from? A proud father showing his loving daughter to the world is far from that…. She is gorgeous…. The last thing about the bottle … she probably has one bottle at night, unlike Suri cruise who had it with her constantly. Let kids grow up at their own pace and not by some book that was written by some geriatric doctor who probably hasn’t even had kids.

Oh and I love the site… I love seeing the celebs pregnant and the babies after the long wait . haha. keep up the good work.

20. MomE

It always surprises me how cruel people can be over children. Unless you’re this child, you can’t possible understand what and how it means for her to “miss her mom so much.”

And, yeah, we don’t see that many pictures of her. If you don’t want to see pictures of celebrity babies, don’t come to a website called celebrity baby scoop! Geez! :D

But I do have to say, yes the bottle comment did catch my attention. Not sure if I’d say shock, but it certainly caught my attention. Medical providers usually recommend you start to try to stop that around one year. And how many people gave Katie grief when Suri was still toting a bottle? But I’m not saying it’s wrong. I was just a bit surprised by it. All children a different, though.

21. Danielle

I don’t know how someone could say there is nothing special about her she’s adorable, 10 times better than a lot of other celebs kids.
    Of course she misses having a mum, she never knew Anna so he can’t really say she’s missing Anna as a mum but more a mother figure I guess.
    I don’t think we have seen that many pictures of her, see far more of Brooke Burkes kids and I don’t even know who she is really lol

22. Noodlemonkey

Seriously?! He wants to sheild her from the “terrible things in the world?” Maybe he could start by shielding her from the media spotlight that he seems to covet and from the staggering debt he is saddling her with with all of these inane lawsuits.

23. Ak

Sep 12, 2009 @ 03:52 pm’s Anonymous “she’s not wearing pullups or sucking a binkie like Violet Afflack. THAT I find worse.” Oh come one! What does one has to do with the other? “People are strange, when you’re…”

24. caroline

why all the haters? larry moved away and is settling down in Kentucky so he can be away from the papprazzi and prying eyes. and we hardly see any photos of dannielynn. and she is stunning!!! celebrities dont have to look ‘different’ from other children…the way some ppl say she looks like any other ‘normal’ kid. she’s gorgeous, and unique and i bet you cant find anyone who looks like her!

I just saw pictures of Larry and Dannielyn,they had been to the Bahamas,I hope they have a Merry Christmas.I love to see pictures of them,she is a cutie,She sure is loved,any one can see that.Larry kept up the good work.

She looks a lot like her Dad also. I’m glad he got his daughter back