Update: Penelope Cruz Hits The TIFF

Penelope Cruz Hits The TIFF

Update: Putting the rumors to rest, Penelope Cruz tells USA Today that she is not expecting. “I start getting some presents from friends saying, ‘Congratulations, you’re pregnant,’” she says. “And I say, ‘No, I’m not, so return the presents. It’s amazing.”

A possibly pregnant Penelope Cruz was beautiful in blue at last night’s Toronto International Film Festival premiere of her new movie, Broken Embraces.

The 35-year-old actress is keeping people guessing when it comes to her rumored pregnancy. Though she’s reportedly 4 to 5 months along, the Oscar-winner has yet to comment on the baby buzz. Her lovely light blue dress by Roland Mouret had room to conceal a bump, but Penelope kept mum when asked point blank by reporters about the speculation last night.

Adding to the mystery, she was spotted holding a cigarette while out for lunch with pal Salma Hayek earlier this week.

What do you think: Is there a baby on the way for Penelope and her boyfriend Javier Bardem?

Filed under: Penelope Cruz

Photo credit: Splash News

1. Kimberly P.

Just fyi, and I realize cigarettes are not health food, my mom smoked throughout both her pregnancies.

2. jane

If she IS pregnant then I have absolutely no respect for her because she was smoking in those pictures yesterday.

Hahaha chill out people, she is NOT pregnant after all…

4. Lola

I love love love her shoes!
    And by the way, doctors usually recommend that women quit smoking BEFORE they get pregnant. However, they strongly advise against trying to quit while pregnant (at least here in France) because the stress that it puts on the mother can be very bad for the baby. Usually they ask women to smoke as little as possible during that time. One of my friends smoked 2 cigarettes a day while pregnant. Her doctor was totally fine with it.
    I would never judge penelope for it. Tons of my friends smoked while pregnant and had perfectly healthy baby.

5. milla

ivy and jane, so true.

6. DEE DEE EUSTACE

HA IN NINE MONTHS THERE WON’T BE ANY BABY SO FORGET ABOUT THINKING
    OF NAMES FOR THIS IMAGINARY BABY..

C’mon people, if she didn’t answered the question is because she IS pregnant. Celebs already lost their skills to full people.

8. jane

I hope she is not pregnant because I saw pictures of her on another website yesterday smoking a cigarette!

9. jane

By the way, she looks gorgeous in that dress. Beautiful color!

10. yummygia

She looks fabulous…Being in love has done wonders for her…If she is smoking or even holding a cigarette, there is no way she is pregnant. She is way too smart to be that careless. Hopefully, it was just a rumor & she wasnt pregnant to begin with & had a miscarriage or anything.

11. milla

well if shes pregnant shame on her for smoking! its not okay to smoke while preggers! it could hurt the baby!

12. Louise

She IS pregnant, and by the way I think this dress looks awful on her. Although she is a beautiful woman.

13. jane

Lola, that is a bunch of crap! There is no excuse for smoking while pregnant!

14. christine

Depends on what your meaning of “confirmed” is. The source of the false rumor is justjared.com, which reported exclusively in early August that an anonymous friend of Cruz said she was pregnant. Blogs all over the internet propagated the rumor, but the origin all comes down to one post on Just Jared — nothing more.

That poor woman: Could you imagine having gained a few pounds and then having the whole world point at your stomach and say, ‘it’s a baby!!’ I bet this is all very upsetting for her.

And, if she really is pregnant, I don’t blame her for lying. It’s private, and the couple will make an announcement when they choose to.

15. ivy

some people are just too selfish to quit smoking

There’s also a chance that if you let your child play with matches they won’t set themself or something on fire, or try giving them a gun and maybe they won’t blow theirs or someone elses brains out. There’s a reason you don’t take chances when it comes to your childrens health, and smoking while pregnant is a risk we’ve known for a long time now, so why not mininmize the chances of those risks.

17. melanie1983

i thought cbb confirmed the pregnancy like weeks ago? what the heck…