Hilary Swank: I’ll Have Kids When The Time Is Right

Hilary Swank: I'll Have Kids When The Time Is Right

Two-time Academy Award-winning actress, Hilary Swank, graces the November 2009 edition of Marie Claire magazine. The 35-year-old accomplished actress spoke about her new boyfriend John Campisi, and her comfort level in front of his 6-year-old son. Hilary also opened up about wanting children when the time is right and learning to nourish her friendships, including her “best friend” relationship with Mariska Hargitay.

On having children when the time is right: “For me, my career is like, for lack of a better word, a baby. I always knew that I wanted to act, since I was 7 years old. But also from that age, I’ve been thinking about the day that I would have kids. When the time is right, I’ll know. I am aware that next week, I turn 35. But I am also aware that the timing has to be right.”

On her stepson seeing her nude: “Well, my boyfriend’s son is 6 years old, and you wonder at what age you should stop walking around nude. Every morning he comes into the bedroom, and you’re just nude. But he doesn’t look twice; he doesn’t think about it yet. I just toss and turn too much when I sleep, and if I’m in clothes, I get all twisted up.”

On learning to relax: “My agent Josh [Lieberman] was a big part of it. He was like, “Hilary, you just finished a movie. Go and relax”—he put some swear words in there, too. He was like, “You just need to trust us. We have everything under control. You don’t need to hold on so tightly.” But that was all I knew. So now I’m taking a month off. Going to Tuscany. My family is going to be there—my brother and my niece and nephews and John [Campisi, Swank's boyfriend] and his parents and Sam [Campisi's son]. And a bunch of friends, too.”

On being a loner during her marriage to Chad Lowe: “For a long time, I was a loner because Chad [Lowe, Swank's ex-husband] was my best friend, and we were really happy just hanging out, he and I. I think it was maybe five years ago that I realized how important my friends were to me, and I realized they were a big part of my letting go. When I got divorced three years ago, I needed them more than ever. I have really good girlfriends. Mariska Hargitay is my best friend.”

Filed under: Hilary Swank

Photo credit: Marie Claire

My husband and I sleep in the nude too, because otherwise we get overheated and the clothes get all twisted up, etc. He gets up for work before the kids are even close to waking up, and I get up and get into a bathrobe before I leave my room. That being said, I have a four year old son and once in a while he catches me before I’ve had a chance to get dressed. I keep wondering if he’s too old now to see me naked and if I’m hurting him somehow. I guess judging by all you ladies’ reactions, it’s time to wear pjs. :)

2. testguy

If you make a big deal out of nudity, then your children will grow up thinking nudity is a big deal. It’s as simple as that.

3. Francesca

As a mom of 3…I agree…reading that made me a little uncomfortable. I mean if you know that there’s a kid in the house why not make sure he/she can’t barge in (lock the door!) or be mindful and find the most comfortable thing to sleep in. When kids are sexualized too early, it can really screw them up. Has she not ever watched Dr. Phil?! Hellooo!?!?

4. Francesca

Wonder how the 6 year old’s mom will respond to her revelation…just read the original article at the Marie Claire site and she asks the interviewer if she sleeps in a nightgown and the interviewer responds that she has two sons and wears pjs because she has to be mindful of that…I hope that was a HUGE clue to Ms. Swank.

5. Tif

totally agree with the comments so far.

I also personally cant understand the whole calling her career her “baby” thing. Maybe once she actually has a baby, she’ll understand how silly that sounds.

6. Francesca

I feel a “claire-ification” (lol) coming because this topic lit up many blogs around web! Parents around the world…even liberal Europe…are in an uproar about her revelation.

7. Ella

I love Hilary as an actress and have always respected her immensely as a person-I remember seeing her on Oprah when she was promoting Million Dollar Baby, and her sincerity was so honest it was really touching. That said, this business about sharing with the world that she not only sleeps naked with her boyfriend, but does so in front of his son is beyond inappropriate. I don’t believe she means any harm whatsoever, but it shows a severe lack of class and judgment on her part in my opinion. I can’t even imagine what this boy’s mother is thinking, and I totally agree that if it was her boyfriend sleeping naked in front of Hilary’s daughter there’d practically be a warrant for his arrest. Not okay at all.

• girlvirgo72

Ella – I agree. While her “honesty” is refreshing in the Holly-wierd world, as a parent, I’m alittle shocked at her revealing sleeping in the nude under the same roof as her boyfriend’s son. That agent she spoke about must not have been around to censor her. And as a parent myself I would be super mad that my ex has this chick in bed and she’s walking around in her birthday suit in front of my six year old.

8. Dea

Imagine if the role is reversed: lets say, the boyfriend is naked and she has a daughter, THERE will be an UPROAR!

9. Amanda

Am I the only one who thinks its inappropriate for her to be nude in front of a six year old? I think its a bit of an over share that she sleeps naked anyway.

10. Louise

Um what? She sleeps nude despite knowing that a 6 year old (of no relation to her) will be coming into the bedroom? Call me uptight or strange, but I think that’s in very poor taste. She’s not his mother. She’s not even his step mother. I’d be very upset if that was my son.

11. Jack

Would people feel better about this if the boy was hers. I doubt anyone would even care. Obviously the kid doesn’t care because he doesn’t look twice at her being nude so why does everyone else.

my god. lol. when i read the quote i kind of thought that many american people would react like that.
    that kid is 6 years old. i think that at that age kids don’t really care about sexuality or seeing somebody naked at all. ok, maybe some do. as long, as he “doesn’t look twice” there’s nothing wrong……

nice veiled insult :P So are you saying that if he did “look twice” then there would be something wrong? Are you saying the measure of whether this is decent or not is whether the child notices? Interesting….

Why do we care about this? It’s only a big deal if you make it so.

14. marie

Dear Celebrity Baby scoop, I love your website, but please spare us of any news from this woman who apparently has the common sense and of a flea.
    It is very disturbing to hear something like she’s nude in front of a 6 year old who she’s not even related to and still wonder if it’s ok or not, it makes me wonder if she has pedophilic feelings towards the boy.
    One thing for sure, no more Swank movies for me…EVER.

15. Anna

I don’t think it’s disturbing. It’s just a naked body, nothing to be scared of.

16. Ghea

Nakedness has exactly the meaning we want to give it. In my homecountry swimming, being in sauna etc. naked in mixed company isn’t anything. It’s the normal thing. So I don’t think that boy seeing his fathers girlfriend accidentally naked (accidentally because I don’t think that she really just went to the boy while being undressed).

wear clothes ,,,dont spoil kids