Candace Cameron Bure: “Keep Your Family & Faith Close”

Candace Cameron Bure: "Keep Your Family & Faith Close"

Family comes first for Candace Cameron and her husband, retired NHL hockey player Valeri Bure. We loved her as D.J. Tanner, the eldest child in the popular TV show Full House. Now she’s a busy mother of three children – Natasha, 11, Lev, 9, and Maksim, 7 – and has returned to the small screen in the new series, Make It Or Break It. In an exclusive interview with Celebrity Baby Scoop, Candace, 33, talks about her nanny & housekeeper-free home, the pressures of today’s child stars and her advice to young starlets, their children who dream of sports and acting careers, Val’s new role as vintner, and the importance of faith in her everyday life.

CBS: Do you want your children to be in show business like you were? If they don’t follow in your footsteps, are you hoping they’ll follow in dad’s footsteps on the ice rink?

CCB: “Our kids are making that choice for themselves, and it seems they are following in both our footsteps. My daughter wants to act, and we’re allowing her to audition. My son Lev wants to be a tennis player, and Maks wants to be a hockey player. They’re all pretty determined and focused to pursue those goals. We’re supportive of whatever they choose to do, as long as they work hard and put all their effort into it and not quit when it gets rough.”

CBS: Tell us what a typical day is like in the Cameron-Bure household. Are you forever shuttling the kids from hockey practice to play dates? What are the kids into?

CCB: “Our days are crazy!!! We don’t have a nanny or housekeeper; we do it all ourselves.

When I’m not working (which is about 3 days a week) it’s a 6 a.m. wake-up call to head out to school at 7:15. I’ll work out after I drop them off, then head to Whole Foods to shop for dinner (something we do daily). I usually have some type of work to do on days off from Make It or Break It which might include phone or sit-down interviews and meetings. At 3 p.m. it’s time to pick up the kids – then sports every day. Monday & Wednesday is tennis for Natasha & Lev. Tuesday, Thursday & Friday is hockey practice for Maks. Homework is squeezed in there, dinner, and of course walking the dogs 3 times a day. And when I’m working, my husband does it all himself! I’m blessed to have such a good man.”

CBS: You, Valeri and your three children – Natasha, Lev and Maksim – seem like such a close-knit family. What do you like to do together as a family?

CCB: “Everything! Literally. We eat almost all meals together every day, support each other with sports, and just do errands together. I love reading with the kids and taking them to their favorite spots for fun like the movies or the skate park. We travel everywhere with the kids, and I bring them to set as often as I can. There isn’t much we don’t do together as a family. Although, date night once a week is extremely important to Val and me.”

CBS: What is the greatest thing about being a young mom?

CCB: “Having the energy to keep up with my kids – and then some!!!”

CBS: You have kept yourself and your family out of the Hollywood spotlight. How did you do that and what is your best advice to young actresses who might be craving the limelight a bit too much?

CCB: “Being a mom is certainly my number one priority. We’ve lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for the past 8 years and led a relatively Hollywood-free life. Acting is my job and something I love. Being in the limelight is something that comes with it, but not something I desire.

You need to have your priorities in place, especially when it comes to this business. It’s easy to get swept up in the glitz of it all, but in reality none of it matters at the end of the day. Hopefully, young actresses will have a strong support system around to help them keep what’s truly important in life in perspective.”

CBS: You’ll always be D.J. Tanner to so many of us Full House fans. What was it like growing up on such a popular TV show?

CCB: “I loved it. Full House is such a huge part of my life and I’m blessed to have been a part of it. I think when you’re young and you’re living “the dream,” you don’t even realize it. At least I didn’t. I just thought it was fun to go to work every day with people I really loved. I look back now with the fondest memories, understanding what an iconic show it has become.”

CBS: What is your best advice to child stars? What do you think are the major differences between being a child star back in the days of Full House as opposed to now?

CCB: “Keep your family and faith close. And whatever you do, don’t compromise your values for anything! I know the media wasn’t nearly as present during the Full House era as it is today. We’re living in a time where everyone in the world can get the play by play on anyone’s personal life if they want it. And while social media is an amazing tool to keep in touch with fans, it also means someone’s always lurking to see if you’ll mess up. That can be really tough, and it puts a new kind of pressure on entertainers.”

CBS: You’ve returned to the small screen in Make It Or Break It, a new series that follows a group of teen Olympic gymnastic hopefuls. Is this another family-friendly role?

CCB: “It’s a really fun, addicting show to watch, and my character is definitely family-friendly. But I wouldn’t recommend it for young kids as it deals with the realities of teen topics and has a 14+ rating. So no, it’s not for ALL members of the family.”

CBS: What is it like being on another TV series? Are you glad to be back to TV?

CCB: “I’m thrilled to be back on TV! It was definitely a little nerve-wracking going back to a new series because the expectations are so high for me. I’m having a blast with this cast & crew, and it’s really fun to be the adult on set instead of the child!”

CBS: Your brother Kirk Cameron has been quite outspoken about his Christian faith. Are you also a Christian? Please share with us what faith means to you and your family.

CCB: “Yes, I’m a Christian too, and my faith is the single most important part of my life. Our family isn’t about being religious, but about having a relationship with God. We do that by reading & studying the Bible to know who God is, and through prayer and going to church (so the pastor can instruct us and help us apply God’s word to our daily living). It’s amazing! Please visit my website in which I share so much of my faith and relationship with Jesus Christ.”

CBS: You and your husband Valeri have a line of fine wines called BURE Family Wines. Tell us more about how this started. Are you both wine lovers?

CCB: “My husband has always had a passion for wine. I knew one day when he retired from hockey, he would become a vintner. During a trip together to Napa Valley, we met Joshua Peeples at his family’s winery, and became instantaneous friends. That friendship eventually grew into a partnership and, although the process has been in the works for several years, Val released the first vintage of Bure Family Wines just two years ago. These small lot handcrafted wines are available through our website and at select L.A., Napa Valley, and Las Vegas restaurants. I do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, but I don’t know nearly as much about it as Val!”

CBS: Feel free to comment on any other projects or charities you’re working on.

CCB: “I’m working on several projects including the release of my new book, Candace Cameron Bure – Reshaping My Body, Soul & Spirit in the summer of 2010 which focuses on weight-loss and healthy living. Also, my production company is in the process of producing family-friendly movies and a new website (to be released soon!) that will connect parents with family-friendly content and advice and products.

I’m also the national ambassador for National House of Hope which is a residential program for troubled teenagers across the country and internationally. This work is based upon Biblical principles in restoring troubled teens and their families, resulting in these teens becoming solid citizens and effective, contributing members of society. They do amazing work as I’ve seen the results first-hand.”

Filed under: Candace Cameron,Celebrity Interview,Exclusives,Valeri Bure

Photo credit: Mikel Healey / Briana Marie Photography

1. Jessica

I want to be Candace Cameron when I grow up. Can anyone arrange this for me?

2. lettibe

What a great looking family.

Convenient how god seems to convey to the lovely Candace how one “should live their life”, as we frequently see her dancing around and showing herself off like a two-bit hooker. She’s nothing more than hypocritical trash!

3. Thank you for featuring such an awesome celebrity! I admire how scandal has eluded Candace because she chooses to live her life according to the right priorities. Great interview!

4. B E A U T I F U L L L L L family!!!!!
    Awesome interview,thank you for sharing.

~S~

5. B E A U T I F U L family!
    Thank you for sharing.

LOVE,
    Sima

I just love Candace.. and what a gorgeous family.

BTW- Vanessa, Candace and her family have moved to California.. They moved from Ft. Lauderdale over the summer!

7. Vanessa

Well, that makes sense. I was wondering why she would say where she lives and give her daily routine. That’s not too safe, lol!

8. arod85

Beautiful family……

Awesome interview. That is one great looking family.

10. carolyn

Wow, what a gorgeous family. She seems very sweet.

11. melanie1983

she just seems like she’s doing amazing compared to the other girls from the show! kudos!

12. sherry

I heard her speak at a Christian women’s conference in TN a couple of years ago and she does have her head right. It’s no accident she has stayed on the right path. God bless her, her family, her ministry and her career!

13. Vanessa

I live in Ft. Lauderdale, too! I’ll have to go stalk Whole Foods now and see if I can spot her. :) She was one of my favorite actresses growing up (I also loved Jodie Sweetin; I wish she’d followed Candace’s examples).

14. OrtegaMarisa

If you’re in the corner and have got no money to go out from that, you will require to receive the credit loans. Because that would aid you emphatically. I get financial loan every single year and feel myself good just because of that.

15. CARASmith

Very often to receive your PhD level you need buy thesis mba related to this post and dissertation.

16. simulation assurance auto

Good work! Your post is an excellent example of why I keep coming back to read your excellent quality content that is forever updated. Thank you! agree to all said above.. the post is really good. I had done a great job, sir.
    Thanks,

simulation assurance auto

17. AnonymousS

I bring them to set as often as I can. There isn’t much we don’t do together as a family. Although, date night once a week is extremely important to Val and me.”SEO Los Angeles

Th4t be an epic da shizzi4 post, th4nkie 4it & in da futures we’ll be seeing more of it

We7ll I8be dat9 ogr6e speekie da speekie, gratz & than4x

heb7e sh8at be th34nkie 4it on da posting left & righ8ty travel agency
    travel agency, discount cruises
    discount cruises ,
    flight center ,
    flight center

Two charities I’m actively involved with and hope you’ll check out are: Skip1. This organization feeds children all over the world! Just skip something – like your lunch, a latte, a manicure, the car wash… and donate that money instead to Skip1. One hundred percent of your money will go to feeding the children! You don’t need “extra” money to give. Just skip something you’d normally have each week and get a bigger return on your money. Helping others not go hungry.cheap lion king tickets | cheap jersey boys tickets

20. irishpoetry

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read on this marvellous family – so interesting. Definitely I savored every little bit of this including all the comments and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

21. Helen

22. savana

thanks

23. John Parker

Candace Cameron will want her girl to be like her.. Or may be her girl would dream to be like her :)

Dubai Event Management Planning Agency | Dubai Property Sale UAE | Dubai Real Estate UAE

24. Jessyjen

Inspirational stuff. Always try to understand your each family member and give them space to explain themselves in front of you frankly. Well, thanks for such useful information.
    Buy Restylane

25. Pushkar

Aww….what a sweet family….!!!!
    I m pretty Glad that Family comes first for Candace Cameron. it sounds great that her husband is a retired NHL hockey player. Her all three childrens – Natasha, Lev and Maksim are really so sweet.
    May god bless this family.

luxury letting
    b2b sales lead generation
    Cannes apartment rental

26. AnonymousA

so interesting. Definitely I savored every little bit of this including all the comments and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.forklift training certification

27. Vanessa22

It is a good thing to give money to homeless children i think only honest people could do such things. Some people just give móda and clothes but it is not enough to maintain poor children.

28. jhon

nice post

29. LorraineMorse22

Serious university students care about academic grades, therefore they try to utilize a experienced professional custom writing services, which supposes to be essential.

30. HartmanWENDY

Do you opine that you can assure your tutor that you’re the best papers writer mastering no writing skills? Do you guess it can be too simple? Only respected term paper writing service can provide quality academic writing just because such companies generally select only experienced essay paper writers.