Kate Gosselin: The Kids Are “Sobbing” Without The Cameras

Kate Gosselin: The Kids Are "Sobbing" Without The Cameras

Kate Gosselin – who was chosen as one of Barbara Walters‘ 10 Most Fascinating People of 2009 – says her eight children aren’t doing so well now that they’re no longer in front of the cameras, US reports.

They cried in the van on the way home from school the other day. I finally admitted to them, they kept asking, ‘Where’s the camera crew? Where’s the camera crew? We miss them.’” Kate tells Barbara. “And I said, ‘Our show is over.’ …Eight sobbing kids driving home from school.”

In September, TLC announced that as of November 2, Jon Gosselin would no longer appear on Jon & Kate Plus 8 and that the program would be re-titled Kate Plus 8. But the plan took a turn after Jon objected to his kids appearing on TV, claiming that he had an “epiphany” that the show was exploiting his children.

Kate disagrees, explaining to Walters that Jon ended the show “because he could.”

Kate said that, “Unless you live in my house and, and see how everything that we have done with the show has been such a great experience, you can’t speak.” She added that her eight kids – 9-year-old twins Mady and Cara and 5-year-old sextuplets Hannah, Leah, Alexis, Joel, Aaden and Collin – “watch DVDs of our show and it’s family memories to them.”

When Walters asked Kate if she was scared, she nodded. “Yes, I don’t think I would be sane if I wasn’t,” she says. “I have a lot of responsibility.”

However, this isn’t the end of Kate’s TV career. Reportedly, she is slated to do a new talk show next spring. Still, she says she doesn’t consider herself a celebrity. Gosselin states to Walters she’s “a mom, first, always, foremost.”

Do you think the Gosselin kids are better off without a house full of cameras?

Filed under: Kate Gosselin

Photo credit: INFdaily.com

1. Maru

I don’t really like this women. Never did. And i kinda guess that Kate and Jon were going to get divorced eventually, they just didn’t seem to get along very well.

2. Maru

I don’t really like this woman. Never did. And i kinda guess that Kate and Jon were going to get divorced eventually, they just didn’t seem to get along very well.

3. Tazina

The kids had a sick addiction to those cameras. Had they kept on, soon they would have been ridiculed by their peers and hassled by the paps. Now they may have the chance of a normal life. Kate misses the money and that’s about it.

4. Anna

I can understand they miss it now but they will be glad when they are older. Their mother should understand that being filmed your whole life is not good for you. She is the adult here!

5. Keen

Yes they will be better off! On one of the last episodes where they did commentary together, Jon was complaining about how he couldn’t go anywhere without being “jon of jon and kate plus 8!” This thing that killed me was that it never occurred to him that he had chosen that for his kids too. Thankfully they’re young enough to be able to grow up normally and hopefully not be so recognized when they’re adults. Kate is addicted to fame and money and can do whatever she wants to in the public spotlight, but it’s about time that they took the kids out of the equation.

6. electricsnowgirl

I think Kate’s statement says it all. If your kids cry because there ISN’T a camera crew on them – that’s the biggest sign you’ve let things go too far. When I was in my early twenties I was on a reality show in Canada for a year and it was hard work not cracking up. And I was an adult! Image having cameras on you from birth?! It is highly irresponsible for an parent to put their children in that position – especially making it a ‘blame daddy’ situation. Yikes. Good luck to those kids.

7. IrisX

It is not surprising at all the children have never known life without the TV cameras I am sure the crew has become sort of extended family as well as the children received a ton of attention over the years. now that’s all gone. Hopefully mom and dad put away the money they earned for all those years on the show because if not, then Kate would be like one of the parents who worries about debt relief in the future may see their children’s college funds as a huge obstacle to overcome. A lot of parents get nervous due to the economy, and begin wondering how to get their children to college. Prepaid tuition plans can be very effective for a lot of parents, because they differ from college savings plans. College savings plans offer higher return rates that are not influenced by college tuition. Though the return could be greater, there is an added risk that the overall investment could lose value over time.

Sometimes in a divorce, men often try to come out as victims. “Poor Jon” it’s like somebody forced him to do a reality show after all. First he leaves his family for younger women and now he suddenly realizes that his children are beeing exploited. Onestly! Where was until now? I guess he didn’t mind at all to cash in while he was actualy on the show. Don’t get me wrong! I do think the kids shold have a privat life and that they should be able to walk on the street without being attacked by the paparazzi. It’s their wright to live a normal life.

9. Renee

i think that if the kids enjoyed it, then it shouldn’t been taken away from them. ive always thought that jon was so rude to his kids [case in point; in their last episode when the twins were making signs to sell lemonade, he told them to get up, go away, i'm throwing these in the garbage and i'll do it myself. and he stuck to that, the girls were not invited to sell lemonade.. why? no idea, i couldn't see the problem] i think now that they’re separated, he’s trying to be more in control but he’s really not using it at the right moments.

Even if they don’t do anything “..plus 8 show”, i’m sure there will be yearly specials.. either for their birthdays or a holiday, something. but i like them. i think jon ruined their reputation by putting his junk where it didn’t belong and needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. everyone thought kate was the terrible one, when really she did have their best interest at heart.

10. Peta

Of course the children miss the cameras – they’ve been filmed pretty much since the day they were born. They thought having a film crew around them all the time was normal. It’s no different from when a child’s nanny moves on to a new post; the child will cry and miss what’s been a very familiar part of their lives.

And I’m not joining Team Kate or Team Jon. Neither parent is a saint, and they both had a hand in this mess.

11. a mom

I think it is very important that TLC should be held accountable for child labor laws. They should have to pay each child for all the episodes that have been filmed. I hope the truth will come out that the kids were being ripped off by TLC and Jon & Kate were using the money as they saw fit. Kate to dress nice and tan and Jon to buy cigarettes and chase women. Maybe all of this will be settled while Jon is in court. I can’t say that I blame Jon for getting out – at some point you just can’t take anymore being bitched at.

12. MTX

I think that shows what a bad Mother Kate is if her children are crying for the camera crew. Maybe she should trying staying home and being a Mother !! She would have to stop some of her material things-but aren’t the kids worth it Kate???? Her and Jon both need to think about the kids for a change !!!!

13. Lioness

Honestly, I’m not sure I believe her about the kids crying- she may be saying this to make Jon look bad for taking the show off the air. “Look what it’s doing to the kids” makes Jon look like an evil daddy to some. I somewhat doubt that the kids miss the cameras, especially the older twins- extended camera crew family or not, the spotlight constantly on them must’ve been annoying at times.