Sarah & Bristol Palin: “We’re Glad We Chose Life”

Sarah & Bristol Palin: “We're Glad We Chose Life”

Bristol Palin was faced with an unplanned pregnancy at the young age of 18. After giving birth to her son Tripp in December 2008 — and broke up with her boyfriend, Levi Johnston — the reality of single motherhood quickly set in.

I remember sitting on a black recliner, just bawling my eyes out,” Bristol tells In Touch. “I was just rocking Tripp to sleep because he had been screaming for so long. I was just like, ‘What am I going to do? This is as bad as it gets.’”

Though raising an infant has been challenging, Bristol has the unconditional love and support of her family, including her mother Sarah Palin. Just a year earlier at the age of 44, Sarah carried her son Trig to term, even though she was told during a sonogram that he would be born with Down syndrome.

The mother-daughter duo are sharing their unique experiences of raising baby boys together under the same roof. “The last few years have been unreal and surreal,” Sarah says.

For the full exclusive check out this week’s issue of In Touch, on newsstands Friday.

Filed under: Bristol Palin,Sarah Palin

Photo credit: In Touch

That’s a great story…

2. Monkey

Sarah Palin makes me ill! Please no more stories about her!

Is it really that remarkable that they didn’t choose to abort their children? Is abortion really that common? Had I been told that my daughter was going to be born with Downs, or any other disability, I still would have continued the pregnancy and would love her to pieces. Is that unusual? Do most people abort children that are supposed to be born with issues?

not sure, but i have an aunt that chose to keep her baby even after she found out that the child would be born with downs. she has five other kids that are all healthy.

I’m sure those five other kids are really happy that mom has even less time for them now that she has a special needs baby. And I’m sure they are really happy about being forced into the position of caretaker for their sibling for the rest of their lives once the parents are gone without any say in the matter.
        The needs of the children who are here already should really be a very large part of the choice.

• Lauren

I completely agree with this. My husband’s brother has down syndrome he has the mind of a 5 year old but the body of a 30 year old. When my husbands parents died and he was left in our care because he refuses to live else where with support services. Life is a constant struggle since i am unable to work. Sometimes i wonder whats going to happen when i start having kids he already takes up much of my time and attention. Do parents who are faced with this decision think about whats going to happen once they’re no longer here?

• DylansMom

Anon, the abortion rate after a Down syndrome diagnosis is 85-90%, depending on the studies you read. I am also glad I chose life.

Not sure if it is a common thing, but I know a lot of people who have said if they found out their baby had down or any other illness they would have aborted. That’s why they have the down syndrome test when they ares still in the womb. You would be surprised how many people would abort if their child had this.
    Monkey, Why does she make you ill??? Because she is pro- life, republican, smart, a mother with down syndrome??? If she makes you so ill, why do you waste your time reading an article about her. Please enlighten us

Thanks! I love Sarah Palin!

6. Lucia R

Over 90 percent of the births where the mother found out ahead of time that her child was going to be born with Down Syndrome are aborted.

Yes, it is incredible remarkable and incredibly commendable that she kept her baby.

Children with Down Syndrome are incredibly happy individuals, and given loving parents, they have a very high quality of life. There is absolutely no reason why these children should not be given a chance at a great life.

While her choice, given her political views is not surprising, good for her, advocating for what she thinks is right. I don’t agree with her on a lot of things, but how can ANYONE criticize this woman for loving her child?

actually, the percentage of women in the US who choose to terminate a pregnancy with down’s has declined dramatically & is well below the 90% you cite (it wasn’t 90% at it’s highest BTW). Infants with down’s are frequently “easier” (they seem to have calmer, less demanding personalities) for some reason, makes them even more loveable I guess.

that being said, there are people whose very difficult decision to terminate a pregnancy with trisomy 21 is based on additional [significant] physical/physiological problems that appear to be present in that developing fetus and their decision (as well as the decision to terminate a pregnancy in cases where there is a devastating genetic/development condition) should be supported instead of castigated.

• Lauren

Depending on the severity of a child/persons down syndrome do they really know happiness? Growing up my husbands brother had no friends and was always placed in special ed classes after grade 1. He is obese and has a variety of health problems at 30. He pisses all over the floor when hes alone and traveling is almost impossible. He will never know what love is, he will never have freedom, he will never appreciate the true beauty of life and everything bad and good that comes with it.

He smiles, he laughs, he has a personality. But everyday is just the same to him.

7. Sherry

I work in a crisis pregnancy center and girls/women want to abort their babies for far less reasons than physical abnormalities of the baby. Hats off to Sarah & Bristol!!!! Sanctity of Human Life is this Sunday. One in 4 women are pot-abortive and hurting. There is help through a crisis pregnancy center near you. Forty million (plus!) babies have been aborted since 1973…if you’re reading this, be glad YOUR mom chose life. Here to PALIN FOR PREZ IN 2012!!!

8. anne

At the risk of sounding like a bumper sticker (though I mean this seriously deeply) . . . #1 – Let’s stop using the term “pro-life,” whether we’re using it lazily or craftily. “Pro-life” makes no more sense in the discussion than a term like “pro-abortion.” #2 – Palins, do you not realize the layers of meaning that exist, even if you don’t intend them, when you use the word “chose”? #3 – Heartwarming – but unremarkable surely? – that a parent should love a “wanted” (as they say) child. Stop the presses? Really?

Lauren: I’m sure you husbands parents weren’t thinking of you when they decided not to kill their baby. Yes. it’s hard and life can be really tough, but that is why you have family. Your quality of life isn’t any more important than his.
    Anne: Pro- life means exactly as it says and it should be used when talking about a subject like this. Same as pro-choice or pro abortion. You are pro choice or pro abortion because you believe that no matter the situation you feel it is ok to kill a human. Pro life is the opposite, in no way is it ok the kill a baby. The word is powerful and should be used. I don’t know what you have against it.
    Down Syndrome babies, or any other baby with any illness in that matter, can have a great quality of life, Why should we make that decision for them and kill them before they get that chance. PALIN 2012

• Lauren

Not everyone has family or a culture who are as accepting as yours. Nobody wants to take care of him or help us, i’m still a bitter 22 year old fresh out of college with an issue i don’t know how to deal with. A lot of adult’s who have downs or mental retardation are put into institutions with unloving strangers against their will, hows that for quality of life.

Do you have a life where you can’t even work or enjoy life and relax? Simple dinner dates or 1 on 1 time with your husband? Have to question weather you should have kids or not at 22? Don’t have friends because you live in a culture where your family is looked down upon? It’s a big sacrifice that not everyone is willing to commit to.

Also if abortion becomes illegal at some point women will find a way to have them by illegal and dangerous means.

• anne

No, it really shouldn’t be used about a subject like this … precisely because it *doesn’t* mean “exactly what it says.” In fact it’s so unclear as to be meaningless. It’s unclear because we all draw lines at different thresholds regarding the ethically (even theologically) “acceptable” taking of human life — see, for example, the death penalty and war (both of which involve an “acceptable” % of innocent deaths), indeed even abortion itself (I don’t know a single pro-choice supporter who is nonchalant about the procedure, either the fact of it or the ramifications). There’s also the issue of what a person considers ethically “acceptable” death that is the result not only of commission but ommission. So you see, the term “pro-life” can’t mean anything specific enough to have any value in the discussion.

10. Audrey

As a grandmother of a 6 year old with Down Syndrome (no one says downs anymore – not PC) the future of these children is much different than what it was just 20 years ago. Most of them now attend public school, many mainstreamed successfully as is my gs, they have jobs, friends, play on ball teams and such. Plus good planning by the PARENTS prevents this person from being a burden on his siblings. There will always be more difficult of these people but there are in all illness that one can have .

Oh by the way, the prenatal testing often has false negs and pos as it did in my daughter’s case.

• edelo

I completely agree with you. It is the case with many special needs cases. The opportunities available today through medicine, education and parent knowledge is amazing. I have a good friend with Down Syndrome who graduated on time with our class. She lives semi-independently in an apartment her parents set up and have a full time job working in the college dining hall.
      I know another boy with very severe Autism (His adoptive father and he wrote a book about his childhood). He is in his respective grade (second year in high school) and goes to regular classes, with the help of an aid (he is non-verbal).
      And what is to say that it is even a burden on the siblings? We don’t know if it truly is in most cases.
      And very true about the prenatal testing, I have known several people with false positives/negatives with different tests.
      I could go on for hours…

On a side note, to the pasts posts: You seriously want this woman as president? Wow. That just sickens me…

I’m sure she doesn’t see the irony in the fact that she got to make a choice, but would deny that choice to others.

I think it is great when a politician is for everyone having choice. It should not be about the elite having choice and the rest of the country not allowed choice. Who do you want in control?

The keyword in that headline, to me, is “choice”.
    Sarah and Bristol: I respect your choice, so can you respect mine?

sarah only thinks of herself,why should she care about her kids? she’s all over the country while her famly is left motherless and her husband wifeless. no matter if her bms were made public she still would want to look good for the public. cant you get this already?

I wonder if they could test for homosexuality in utero, how many of the prolife people would be challenged with their decision? Why can’t they love a gay child as any other child?

Also, if you were truly prolife – you wouldn’t have “chose” life, because in your mind, there really wasn’t even a question of having an abortion. In this case, she is glad she had a choice, and is happy with her decision.

You guys sicken me why should it even be an option to want to kill an innocent child who had no choice in the matter of being born they were just concieved out of someones stupidity to have sex before marriage or in some cases after marriage when they were never ready to be a parent at all…… yes maybe sex is enjoyable but that was never the only reason God created it…it was created to bring life into the world….so if your having sex then maybe instead of worrying about if your going to get pregnant take the responsibilty for your actions and be ready to possibly have a precious child….why should they have to suffer for your stupidity???