Jennifer Garner Makes Time For Romance

Jennifer Garner Makes Time For Romance

Down-to-earth mom-of-two Jennifer Garner seems equally at home on the red carpet and at the playground – that could be one reason why she was voted Celebrity Baby Scoop’s favorite famous mom of 2009. The 37-year-old star of the upcoming flick Valentine’s Day talks to Parade magazine about her passion for acting and her happy home life with her “sexy and kind” husband Ben Affleck and their two gorgeous girls Violet, 4, and Seraphina, 1.

On the part of motherhood that drives her crazy: “I will tell you what I can’t abide – and I think the Internet has really created a space for it – women criticizing other women and mothers criticizing other mothers. It just makes me crazy, whether it’s between staying at home, going to work, how long you breast-feed, if you use formula. I feel like we should just assume everyone is doing the best they can. Women should take care of each other, not tear each other down. I would just like to see a mother who really believes that she has done it all so right, you know what I mean?”

On her handsome husband Ben Affleck: “Ben is sexy and kind, but he’s also a riot. We can be very goofy together.”

On making time for romance: “You steal the time. You steal a date, you steal a kiss, you steal a whisper. You sit next to each other on the couch with computers on your laps. After the kids are asleep you… well, you know. Whatever it is. You slip away for a night, which we’ve only just now done for the first time. Of course, I call home while we’re away. Ben would be surprised if I didn’t.”

Oh how they got together: “Well, it helped that we were both single at the time. He’s a very good writer.” So he wrote to her? “Don’t make assumptions. I didn’t say that! Okay… e-mail. He’s a very persuasive writer.”

On how he won over her close-knit family: “He doesn’t have trouble wiggling his way in anywhere. Ben is charm personified when he wants to be. He’s not easily threatened or made uncomfortable – he’s very secure in that way. Maybe he just knows I’m nuts about him, and he doesn’t have anything to worry about. Don’t forget we were friends first for a long time.”

On being a working mom: “I adore going to movie sets and being part of a team trying to create something. And yet, I hate to miss even one bedtime with my girls…. My sisters both are working mothers. I understand that my being an actress as well as being at home isn’t some heroic thing. That doesn’t mean it isn’t confusing or difficult–especially that question of how you find a balance.”

On feeling lucky: “I’m privileged, because I have a lot of freedom. I want to use it to make as warm and normal a life as I can for our daughters.”

On her divorce from Scott Foley in 2004: “I had a lot of growing up to do. I’m still conflict-averse. I don’t like to argue. But back then I couldn’t have a fight. I couldn’t work things out because I wasn’t able to say what I needed to say. I didn’t have a voice. I didn’t dare to express myself. It was a huge heartbreak for me to have something fail like that. I knew that this was either an opportunity for growth or I would sink. It’s easy when you’re hurt and angry to just say, ‘Oh, it’s them.’ But I had to come into my own. I thought, ‘Why did this relationship not work? What part of the failure is my responsibility?’ So I went to work on it. I started therapy.”

On always being described as “nice:” “I can’t complain. This mix is perfect for me. I am the model middle child. I am patient and I like to take care of everyone. Being called nice is a compliment. It’s not a boring way to describe me.”

Filed under: Jennifer Garner

Photo credit: Flynet Pictures

She met Ben Affleck on the set of Pearl Harbor long before she met Michael Vartan. Anyway, she is my favorite celebrity mom and I love the close relationship she has with her little girls. They are both so adorable and seem to have inherited he beautiful smile as well as her darling dimples.

2. nanpan

I also hate the way other mothers (or non-mothers) like to criticize one another for EVERYTHING! Unless you are living that person’s life, you just don’t know and really can’t comment. And I totally forgot about her marriage to Scott Foley! It’s good that she was able to come out of it a better person.

3. Shirilicious

What exactly is this girl promoting, her upcoming movie or her family?
    And “it helped that we were both single at the time”? Yeah, she conveniently forgot her relationship with Michael Vartan.

She broke up with Michael Vartan when they met..!!! A long time ago…
    She also said that she is promoting Valentine’s day with two married men
    Ashton Kutcher and Patrick Dempsey.. in real life..THANKS FOR MUCH for
    the photo of Seraphina..she is such a gem of a baby

• Shirilicious

“She broke up with Michael Vartan when they met..!!!”
      Exactly! She wasn’t single when they met. And you might want to ask her ex-husband when she started dating her co-star.

Shirilicious, she did not say she was single when see met Affleck. She said that they were both single when they got together. Learn to read with understanding.

Anyway, way too focus is made of her relationship and not enough on her as a actor and working mom and/or wife.

This is a celebrity baby bog and her babies are beyond adorable. She seems to be totally devoted to them and I love seeing them together. Enough said.

6. Janie

So sweet! Love her!

7. angie

i adore her she is so real. who cares what happen back then she’s a great now!!!

8. ljss

Love her and her family. She’s right about the way women try to tear each other down…on the internet and in life.

9. ljss

Since we are sharing pet peeves about motherhood… I hate mothers who brag about their children endlessly, which JG does ALL the time. So boring and so gauche.

Jen seems like a devoted and happy mom – from our distant vantage point at least. Maybe she made that comment about women tearing other women down b/c she wants us women to stop tearing HER down on these blogs. (That’s a joke.) She revealed a lot of very personal details in this interview — seems out of character as she has said many times in the very recent past, that her private life is just that: private. It’s almost like she’s trying too hard. I’m in the camp of people who don’t think that the sweet apple pie image that she portrays is all that. She appears to be smart, articulate, and very good with people, and she knows how to sell herself. I think Ben doesn’t hide it as well (or doesn’t care to), which is why he always looks so darn grumpy when the paps are snapping away at them (I think he genuinely hates the paps taking pictures of his children).