Camila Alves: No Sex For 40 Days After Childbirth

Camila Alves: No Sex For 40 Days After Childbirth

Camila Alves has told boyfriend Matthew McConaughey to wait 40 days before having sex so her body can recover from giving birth to their second child, 3-week-old daughter Vida.

Where I come from, we believe in something we call a 40-day break after the baby,” the mother-of-two tells StyleList. “You have to let your body do its own thing. You give it time to recover and let everything settle down.”

The Brazilian beauty adds that it’s all about respecting your body: “You kind of respect all the hard work your body has just done and give it a break. For these 40 days, you really take it easy. By that I mean no sex, light, healthy food, no trips to the gym. Then, after 40 days, you are good to go.”

Camila and Matthew are also parents to 18-month-old son Levi.

How long did you wait after childbirth?

Filed under: Camila Alves,Matthew McConaughey

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

correct me if I’m wrong but don’t most OBs recommend abstaining from sex for 6 weeks post delivery as a matter of routine? Additionally, they recommend avoiding strenuous activity and it’s pretty much common sense that healthy eating post-delivery (especially if you’re nursing) is a smart move/recommendation. I don’t understand how Alves’ statement is such a big deal that it’s being covered everywhere as her recommendation or some unique custom.

• nanpan

Yep, you’re right. You’re supposed to take it easy for the first six-weeks until you go in for your follow-up appointment and get the all clear. That means no sex, no strenuous activity or exercise. For women who get c-sections, they aren’t supposed to drive for the first couple weeks, and if you’re nursing you are supposed to continue your prenatal vitamins and maintain a healthy diet (which, hopefully, you would have been doing during the pregnancy, too). She’s not saying anything unusual or revolutionary here.

I agree with the post above. Most of us are told by medical professionals, family and friends the same advice, I don’t see how it is a cultural thing??

4. Marilyn

Six weeks is what doctors recommend it’s not just where she comes from where they say that.

5. Giu

I’m from Brazil but I think that is normal too! I think at every country they do that too!

6. Meredith

Breaking news or not, she looks absolutely fabulous!

It’s exactly like you say in Europe where I live. Doctor advice is not to have sex for six weeks after giving birth. After that period you go to visit your doctor for check up so he can tell you if everything is ok and you can start your sex life again.
    I dont find anything weird about Camila’s words.
    Camila said “no sex, light, healthy food, no trips to the gym”. But only “sex” makes headlines so some people try to creat big story here. A headline “Camila Alves: No trips to the gym for 40 days after childbirth” wouldn’t sell.

8. Sonya

I agree with all previous posters (6 weeks is what doctors recommend). If she’d said no sex for 4 days, now that would have been newsworthy, lol.

9. suzan

so did she have a VBAC?

Off topic but, I love the newborn pic of their daughter. I thought they were glowing.

11. NotAnonymous

Maybe she hasn’t realized that this pretty standard or else she’s just trying to make it sound better when she does it. Either way not impressed.

12. Molly

Umm… I don’t understand why this is shocking because doctors recommend waiting six weeks after birth to have sex. But I agree the picture of them and little Vida was adorable!