John Travolta Says Helping Others Eases Pain Of Son’s Death

John Travolta Says Helping Others Eases Pain Of Son's Death

When Haiti was struck by a devastating earthquake last month a long line of celebrities opened up their wallets and offered their services – including John Travolta, who used his private jet to fly supplies and doctors down to help assist in the aid effort. Still grieving the tragic death of his 16-year-old son Jett last year, the Get Shorty star says that helping others is a way to ease his own pain.

“Absolutely. I think help is probably the biggest button on the planet. People need to help each other,” John tells the Associated Press. “They want to feel like they can help and when you have the opportunity I think most people do help and I had this rare, rare privilege to have this big, empty plane in my backyard and I filled it with supplies and doctors and it was an awesome opportunity.”

John, who also has 9-year-old daughter Ella Bleu with his wife Kelly Preston, says that the family has been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support they’ve received over the past year.

“My son had such an enormous effect on the world and the kindness of fans and people of all types and sorts around the world have been amazing. I’ve never felt more of a flow of support and love as I have in the past year and we needed it… You’re kind of a sinking ship and you need all the kings horses and all the kings men to keep your head afloat. And we had it.”

He adds, “It’s been hard. We’ve worked every day on it as a family and as individuals. It’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to me – bar none. But I think the help is helping us.”

Filed under: John Travolta

Photo credit: Flynet Pictures

1. Allison

Mr. Travolta that was so noble of you using your own plane to provide assistance..We need more people on the earth like you. Safe.

2. Anna

I don’t know, that plane apparently had missionaries on board. If there is one thing a country in trouble doesn’t need it is more religions.

3. Hannah

How do you get over the death of a child no parent should have to bury a child, how sad.

They keep changing the amount of supplies that was on his plane (heck, they’re now saying they sent two planes). . .the amount is less than the amount of supplies on those planes that were delayed due to Travolta’s photop/missionary activity. In short, Travolta’s “assistance” interfered with the ability of other organizations experienced with and able to provide the people of Haiti with the help they desperately need – his actions were not noble, they were selfish and arrogant

5. uutgaboap

RlkP2Z byeatamfpzws, [url=http://endwmxerjrqb.com/]endwmxerjrqb[/url], [link=http://ncvxtigbxyiq.com/]ncvxtigbxyiq[/link], http://aafocaxvckdd.com/

I would like to know if there are celebrities who lend a helping hand to individuals instead of attaching themselves to foundations or highly publicized catastrophies in other countries. Bill Gates has just convinced all these billionaires to give half their money to charity, but unless you’re living in a 3rd world country you’re not likely to see it. I am just one person living in the US, but my situation is pretty painful too. My mom is in the next room dying of stage IV lung cancer. I am her sole care provider. Friends and family have a way of disappearing into thin air when someone is seriously ill or dying. I watch her waste away daily. I hold the trash basket while she heaves into it. I sit up half the night watching her fevers. I am filling out the necessary paperwork to file bankruptcy because I can’t afford an attorney. My home, my nest, is going into foreclosure because I’ve had salary cuts for two years in a row. When my mom dies I will have nobody and no home. I read an article about what caregivers go through after the patient dies. Many feel a terrible sense of guilt or suffer depression. Some even commit suicide! What a scary thought because I am bipolar. And I am exhausted. My mom does not want Hospice to come in because she still holds out hope that she will make it. I’m not going to take that away from her. My pain and loss hurts too.