Marissa Jaret Winokur: Surrogacy Was My Last Chance To Be A Mom

Marissa Jaret Winokur: Surrogacy Was My Last Chance To Be A Mom

Marissa Jaret Winokur is looking forward to making her 19-month-old son Zev a big brother.

“Of course,” the 37-year-old actress tells OK! when asked if she and her husband Judah Miller plan on adding to their family. “I’m actually really happy with just my one son, but I can’t imagine my son growing up without any siblings. I’m the youngest of four. I have a really supportive family. For my son, I want him to have what I have with my siblings.”

Marissa, who underwent a hysteroctomy after being diagnosed with cervical cancer at the age of 27, also opened up about her experience with surrogacy.

“Having a surrogate is a life-changing experience. At the end, you’re going to have a baby. For me, my surrogate is still in my life, my surrogate is still 100% part of my son’s life. That’s how I wanted to deal with it. Other people don’t want to deal with it.”

The Broadway star adds, “For people out there who don’t understand surrogacy, it’s very important that they understand it’s not about someone in Hollywood who doesn’t want to gain weight. It’s not like Sarah Jessica Parker didn’t want to have her own baby. For everybody that has a surrogate, that was their last chance. That was their last option – that was their only option. It’s the most amazing, wonderful thing, but it’s also a really hard decision to make because you’re trusting the most important thing to somebody. For me, that was the only way I was going to have a baby, so I was like ‘I’m in, let’s go.’ There was no looking back. But for a lot of women, there are lots of different options, so it’s important to figure out what’s the best option for them.”

Filed under: Marissa Jaret Winokur

Photo credit: Flynet Pictures

When celebrities use a surrogate, I was just wondering, do they use their own eggs or the surragote’s?

2. Kelly

I think some people confuse the terminology.

Usually, a surrogate uses her own eggs and either the awaiting father’s sperm or that of a donors.

A gestational carrier uses the eggs from the awaiting mother or a donor. Either way, the child is not biologically hers.

Regardless of what she calls it, I’m pretty sure I remember her saying that her son is biologically hers, because even though she had a hysterectomy, she still has her ovaries.

4. Anon

Her son looks exactly like her. An embryo made from Marissa & her husband’s dna was used.

5. pamelamacphee

A gestational surrogate carries a baby that is not genetically related to her, but an embryo that is created from the intended parents sperm and egg or that of a donor. A traditional surrogate carries a baby from an embryo that was created using her eggs and sperm from the intended father or a donor. I was a gestational surrogate for my cousin and his wife, so the baby I carried had no direct genetic connection to me. It was an amazing experience to carrry a baby for someone else, and I’m so glad that Marissa has been successful with surrogacy. I wish her all the best of luck with her next surrogacy journey. If you want to know more about surrogacy, you can check out the story of my journey at http://www.deliveringhopebook.com

Traditional Surrogates use their own eggs and pretty much get pregnant the traditional way (except without intercourse). Gestational Surrogates use the Intended Mothers eggs or, if the Intended Mothers eggs are “bad” or cannot produce any, an egg donor is used. There’s a lot of great info on SurroWorld.com – a surrogacy community

That’s http://www.surroworld.com and you might want to take a look at the forum – http://www.surroworld.com/forum Hope this helps

8. Hazel

I would love to become a surrogate mom for one of the stars. George Michael & Kenny Goss would be great parents, and id love to help these achieve this miracle ! :-)
    I have 3 boys who i love so much, but no more for me. Had my share and now id like to give someone else the chance of parenthood!
    Kids are great & id never be without mine. Far too precious and i love them to bits xx