Jenny McCarthy: “You Can Recover” From Autism

Jenny McCarthy: "You Can Recover" From Autism

Jenny McCarthy has been very outspoken on the topic of childhood vaccines. Her 7-year-old son Evan was diagnosed with autism in 2005, and since then, the 37-year-old mother of one claims that she helped “fix” her son. In a new interview with Time, it is not certain Evan ever truly had autism.

Jenny says the MMR vaccine gave Evan autism:
In the interview, Jenny claims that Evan did, in fact, have autism which was healed through a range of experimental and unproved biomedical treatments. Jenny says she made a deal with God. “Help me fix my boy,” she prayed, “and I’ll teach the world how I did it.”

Jenny claims the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine gave her son autism even though research has conclusively proven that vaccines are safe for children. In fact, the U.K. scientist who had published a study linking the MMR shot to autism was found by a British medical panel to have acted unethically.

Jenny says that not all vaccines are bad — although she swears Evan will not receive another — nor is she saying you shouldn’t vaccinate your child. Her message is one of perseverance: do everything necessary to heal your child, no matter what the doctors tell you.

“I wished to God the doctor had handed me a pamphlet that said, ‘Hey, sorry about the autism, but here’s a step-by-step list on what to do next.’ But doctors don’t do that. They say ‘sorry’ and move you along,” Jenny says.

Was Evan misdiagnosed?
A psychological evaluation from UCLA’s neuropsychiatric hospital, dated May 10, 2005, was “conclusive for a diagnosis of Autistic Disorder,” regarding a then 2-year-old Evan. Five years later, Evan is happily shouting out, “Are you here to play with me? When are we going to play?”

Was Evan misdiagnosed? There are murmurings from scientists and doctors asking if Evan was ever really autistic. Evan’s symptoms — heavy seizures, followed by marked improvement once the seizures were brought under control — are similar to those of Landau-Kleffner syndrome, a rare childhood neurological disorder that can also result in speech impairment and possible long-term neurological damage.

Or, perhaps Evan’s issue was a case of childhood development? Maybe he was a delayed 2-year-old who has now caught up by the time he is 7, a commonplace, routine occurrence, nothing more surprising than a short boy growing tall. These claims are enraging to Jenny who held him during his seizures and saw his eyes roll up after he received his vaccines.

Jenny stands firm a child can “recover” from autism:
Throughout the interview, Jenny is sure not to use the word ‘cure.’ “I look at autism like a bus accident, and you don’t become cured from a bus accident, but you can recover,” she says.

She encourages parents to never give up hope. “Try everything! Hope is the greatest thing for moms of autism,” Jenny says. “Hope is what gets us out of bed in the morning. I’m on a mission to tell parents that there is a way.”

Jenny’s conviction stems from having “recovered” her own son from autism. “Evan couldn’t talk — now he talks. Evan couldn’t make eye contact — now he makes eye contact. Evan was antisocial — now he makes friends,” she explains. “It was amazing to watch, over the course of doing this, how certain therapies work for certain kids and they completely don’t work for others … When something didn’t work for Evan, I didn’t stop. I stopped that treatment, but I didn’t stop.”

On the relationship between vaccines and autism, Jenny stands firm. “Come and see our kids. Why won’t the CDC come and talk to the mothers, talk to the families? Then tell us there isn’t a link.”

What do you think? Was Evan misdiagnosed? Did Jenny “fix” Evan and help him “recover” from autism?

Filed under: Jenny McCarthy

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Janna

So where are the legions of people following her advice? Where are the dozens, hundreds, thousands, millions being “cured” of autism through her methods? Parents of autistic children are desperate for a cure, and I’m sure many of them have tried her psuedo-cure… so where are they and their cured children????

2. Shirilicious

Maybe Jenny can pray again and try to fix her brain and recover from overwhelming dumbness.

I am glad her son is better but as someone who works with Autistic children I think it is so irresponsible to put this sort of crap out. While some children can improve, they are afflicted with the most mild cases on the spectrum. I feel like it gives people who have kids on the moderate to severe range false hope.

I am sorry anonymous, but there is no such think as false hope. I am a parent of an autistic child and I can tell you my little guy has improved with some of the methods that Jenny has used. If a parent wants to do that that is there choice. if anything it teaches you so much about nutrition and the human body. It is very much like an engine. You ” feed” the engine the right kind of fuel and it will run amazing. the same with the body. I have love my boy and I will stop at nothing to make sure he has a happy and healthy life. Hope is never false.
      Please do not ever say that again.

4. rachel s

I think its sad and disappointing that she is advising parents NOT to vaccinate their children from something that she doesn’t have proof of. Autism is really upsetting for any parent that has a child with it, my heart goes out to them, but not vaccinating is not a safe option based on something with no factual proof.
    She should leave the advising to the doctors and scientists.

5. rachel s

She should leave the advising to the doctors and scientists.

I think he was misdiagnosed. My brother was diagnosed as Autistic at 3. My parents disagreed, sought another opinion and the new diagnosis was a simple speech delay. He worked with a speech therapist for a few years, attended a pre-first grade after kindergarten, and has never had any issues. He’s currently going to grad school for a certification in secondary education – social studies. I’ve taught Autistic kids, I’ve never seen any “recover.” They are always still very Autistic.

I am happy thatyour brother is doing well. However, your comments are not only disturbing they are crue, unispiredl and mean. I am baffled that you have actually taught children with autism, because that is not all they are about, nor represent. I do not know your level of education nor do i want to know, but to say that you have never seen them recover and that ” they are still very autistic” is ignorant. I cannot imagine any parent knowingly trusting their childs therapy or interaction with someone who thinks like you , and worse exposes those children to such negative karma and lack of faith. I will quote Aristophanes, as this best describes you:

” Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated and drukeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever”.

I’m glad your brother was misdiagnosed. However, I disagree with you some can recover. I am a teacher for 11 years now and I have 3 special needs kids of my own. All 3 ADHD and 2 of them are also autistic. My 12 year old is almost recovered. He was non verbal at 3-4 and displayed many stimming behaviors and obsessions. Today we still have slight problems with making friends but he is totally included in a regular school except for 3 sessions of speech a week. With no help from me, he is an honor roll student, plays the piano and trumpet and is going out for football at his middle school this fall. My 5 yr old has a long way to go but has made significant progress in the last 2 1/2 yrs. Many of the interventions Jenny used are the ones I use. And I do see progress with each intervention or I would not continue them. Autism is a complex disability. I believe that there is not 1 cause so there will never be 1 cure especially since the symptoms can vary and also the intensity. What works for one child, may not work for another. What caused it in one child, may not have caused it in another. That is why vaccinations are not a 1 cause for autism. However, it may play role for some kids that pregenetically disposed. Please don’t judge until you’ve walked in someone else’s shoes.

7. Louise

How is it possible that she is allowed to mislead people? It must be so frustrating for people with autistic children, who would LOVE it tu be cured. I feel for them…

She makes me happy that most celebrities are happy to stick to ill-informed opinions of less important issues.

I am a mother of a child with autism and I believe just like with everything else in the world that you have to form you own opinion and do what is best for your child. Currently I have begun the biomedical treatment and the GFCF diet and have seen wonderful things. But my son is 9 and has all his vaccines and I will continue until he needs no more. She is not telling people to not give vaccines she is saying to look at them and the ingrediants and make a descision for themselves and there children. I love Jenny and am glad it is such a big deal because at least people are now seeing there is a real problem out there.

I am also a mother of a 10 year old with autism. We started biomedical and diet interventions late but have seen remarkable improvement. I can just imagine how much more he could have improved if we had started when he was first diagnosed at 3 years of age. The above article regarding Jenny McCarthy is extremely biased and contains misinformation as well. For those with rude remarks… walk a mile in my shoes and then talk to me. When it’s YOUR child, you will do whatever it takes to help them.

I am proud of you. I do not know you but i know that you are a great person and keep up the good work. Do not let anyone tell you there is no hope. Hope is what keeps us going and it is no fantasy, it is real.

10. Kimberly P.

I think, like an earlier commenter’s brother, autism is often misdiagnosed or over-diagnosed or has become a catch-all diagnosis, like many cases of ADD/ADHD. Many children do have these illness, but many don’t and I think the misdiagnoses make it even harder for those correctly diagnosed.

I do believe, that in some milder cases, diet can be a helpful tool in moderating illness. Note, I said “some”. I also think there is (again) *some* truth to the vaccinations being less than beneficial. I am not saying vaccines are evil or don’t vaccinate or whatever. I think most vaccines are fine, but maybe the times/ages and amounts of vaccines given is okay to change?

11. E.M.

This statement from Jenny made me LOL. It’s like trying to prosecute a murder suspect by talking ONLY to the victim and ignoring the evidence or the alibi of the suspect. “Come and see how much the victim suffered, then tell us Joe Blow didn’t do it.” Well, talking to the victim will establish the fact that the victim suffered, but it won’t tell anyone whether Joe Blow did it or Tommy Bob did it.

The only way true evidence can be seen is through rigorous testing of thousands upon thousands of kids, not just one.

• Marie

Oh so well said EM!!! I have thought the same thing…how does the CDC meeting autistic children prove to them that vaccines did it? Exactly like you say, just because the “victims” are screaming vaccines did it doesn’t mean it’s true when the evidence says otherwise.

Children can certainly be helped with diet and therapies. I think the point is they don’t help everyone, and many parents feel misled when they try Jenny’s recommendations and they don’t work.

diet?? explain please

13. Anna

She has been saying the same thing for years now. But if she really has found the miracle cure than why are there not 100′s/1000′s of story of people who have followed he advice and have cured their children too?

And to say she just made a deal with God? Who so easy, can’t believe no one else thought of that….

2 of my kids are autistic and the diet does help. They get blood work done annually and it shows a break down in the immune system so they can’t absorb nutrients and/or have sensitivities to foods they can’t pass like milk or wheat (casein and gluten). When it stays in the body it can change form and create by products that act like drugs that fog out your brain so it doesn’t work properly. When we do the diet, it permits the gut and brain to heal and symptoms of autism decrease. There are many people doing this but you don’t hear about in the main stream media. My doctor in PA has a waiting list of 2 years! He currently sees 300 patients a year and turns away hundreds because he can see them all. It is not a cure that works for everyone only about 70% of autistic kids respond to the diet. Every one is different and their severity of symptoms is different so there will never be a cure that cures everyone.

Did you know that vaccination your kid is just giving them shot of the viruses of measles, mumps, chickenpox and rubella to see how their immune system reacts to it. So, you have a choice to not give them the shot. The Government creates all these disease and spreading it to see what it does to human being.

• sandra

you are so right. also, these viruses are ‘farmed’ on placenta and monkey liver! of course this makes ill! and don’t forget to mention the aluminum and mercury in theses vaccinations!!!!!!!!

interesting. I don’t see anything wrong in one encouraging those with autistic kids to not to give up and think of other than conventional ways (which quite obvious do fail in so huge numbers, no?) to help your child. False hopes? Is it better that a doctor tells you you will never have a ‘normal’ child, just take these pills, just see some specialist and most importantly – have no false hopes? Live a life in hell. Both you and your suffering child. I choose hope. But hope don’t come on it’s own. It can only come with your input.
    It’s not about if she’s right or not about the vaccination, I personally don’t believe in vaccines, but if you have an ill child, don’t you do, at least try to do everything to help him? She did. Many do. I do. And I (not on my own in this too), more than anything, believe in nature, body/organism/mind power that has proven so many and for so long – those who search and are interested – they do hear and see cases, big numbers of them how people find their ways through ‘it’s not curable’. Look on the net, there are successful cases (success, like Jenny says – it’s not the cure, but as close to being normal as it gets. Some get very very close!!! And isn’t it really what counts?). I know one. And it’s the believe, the hope, lots of hard dedication, shared information (it’s vital!), therapies, lots of work, love – lots of lots, but the also are lots of results. Good ones.
    It’s so easy to slack anything or anyone who dares to say different opinion and in this case- so drastic for some, ‘vaccination is bad for you and can be linked to autism’, but if autism is one the fastest (along with other neurotic disorders) growing problem, isn’t it about time we talk loud about it and that’s what I understand Jenny is doing. Not telling you off, but making the awareness. No harm in choice. No harm in opinions said and no harm in advises what works and could work for other in trying to find a helping hand for those with autism.
    I wish those with autistic children to find their way out. And for those who find it – share it.
    Peace.

If Evan were the only child to recover from autism, I’d be skeptical. He’s far from it. Bernard Rimalnd put 2 dozen recovered kids on stage at a DAN! conference a few years ago. Of course the other side wants to say Evan never had autism, it’s a lot easier than dealing with his recovery.

17. SuperDad

Thank God for Jenny, and please keep shouting, thousands of us parents have your back!

18. SuperDad

19. Buffy

I look after a little boy, Ethan, who was diagnosed as being severely autistic at 2. He has just turned 4 and although i cannot say he has completely ‘recovered’, I can say that his autism is now mild. I have to credit my mother for this as she was always looking for and trying different techniques to help Ethan. With enough patience and dedication I believe that Autism can be overcome.

Want to see an autism case that has stumped over 23 behavioral experts over the past 18 years? Type in autism self injury into you tube search or type in
    “Portrait of severely autistic student with self-injurious behaviors” or “sweet sides of autism” or “autism epidemic out of control” Be prepared to consider this case has been seen by 23 behavioral experts….what would you do differently? What could you offer this family that they haven’t already been told and the boy hasn’t been subjected to?

21. conniesmommy

How dare she give parents hope! What is she thinking? Telling mothers not to give up on their child!?!? How could she?
    Honestly people, we now know that people with autism do not have to be institutionalized and forgotton. We know that “ice box mothers” do not create autism. At one time these thoughts were considered radical and false. We once thought ABA therapy was an unfair and harsh expiramental treatment to subjuect a person with autism to and that is was best to leave them to find their own contentment and not help them to thrive. It is now well known that a proper diet free of allergic/sensitive foods is necessary for proper physical and mental health and that while diet is not the cause of all conditions it is a contributing factor to many and correcting it can allow treatments to work. As for the legions of mothers who have helped their children to recover with a system simmilar to her’s… they are there. Autism and apraxia are often treated with “unproven” vitamins, fish oil and diets. Not to say that a diet change will cure your child but these diets are often done with physician encouragement and supervision. We don’t know what all causes autism or how to treat it, but we do know that trying has yeilded far better results than what anyone recieved in the days of not trying. Good for her and her son. As for faith and deals with God. Entire religions are founded on this belief. I watched my son sit up alert and well without explination from doctors when he was “critical” with swine flu. I cried and prayed because there was nothing left to do, and while the doctor was aranging his transport to a hospital with a PICE bed available he sat up and became alert. The doctor could not explain it but I know that God saved him that day and I guarantee you can find plenty of miracles alive despite medicines failure.

22. Lucille

Jenny McCarthy should hook up with the mom on You Tube who posts videos of her severely autistic son with epilepsy and self injury. (I think it was under “severely autistic boy lost in big government” that we saw this video) This mom has the same type of passion Ms. McCarthy has for getting things out on the table and telling things like they are. We need more of that!

My son has come a long way in recovery. He was classic autistic. We used the biomedical treatments and have seen such improvements that are truly remarkable. His diagnosis of autism has been dropped. If I was not the mother of a recovered autistic son, it would be easy to discredit or spin my results. I know what I saw, I know what I see! Keep on shouting Jenny!!!!
    She is NOT saying “don’t vacinate” is it hard to believe that all shots are not good for all kids?

24. james lee

Jenny is such an amazing person. She did such a great job with her child. Her child has done so good with dealing with autism thanks to his mom. Keep up the good work.
    accutane

25. Anonymous Autistic

Jenny McCarthy, Evan was never Autistic, he has Landau-Kleffner Syndrome. Would you now please stop talking out of what you sit on for the sake of children who are being harmed by loving parents who are following your ‘advice’?

26. Cassandra Sanchez

Is your child has a sign of autism? Try to practice this autism treatment and find out many things that they understand and use. If you would like to know more about how to cope with autism visit at daejha.com

Cassandra Sanchez http://www.daejha.com

27. Anonymousa

I don’t see anything wrong in one encouraging those with autistic kids to not to give up and think of other than conventional ways (which quite obvious do fail in so huge numbers, no?) to help your child. False hopes? Is it better that a doctor tells you you will never have a ‘normal’ child, just take these pills, just see some specialist and most importantly – have no false hopes? Live a life in hell. Both you and your suffering child. I choose hope. But hope don’t come on it’s own. It can only come with your input.how to learn to sing

28. AnonymousS

that we saw this video) This mom has the same type of passion Ms. McCarthy has for getting things out on the table and telling things like they are. We need more of that!moving companies

29. AnonymousS

subjuect a person with autism to and that is was best to leave them to find their own contentment and not help them to thrive. It is now well known that a proper diet free of allergic/sensitive foods is necessary for proper physical and mental health and that while diet is not the cause of all conditions..facebook clone script

30. hooher tod

Yes there should realize the reader to RSS my feed to RSS commentary, quite simply

31. Sandra

dont just vaccinate because its a done thing and everybody does it!!! Listen to yourself and dont just trust doctors! i know Magny doctors who would Never vaccinate their children, but are not allowed to say publicly! my child will never go close to a vaccine! never ever! he is so healthy, no allergies, nothing! read up …!!!

32. Annielle

The number of children with autism is just as high in countries without vaccinations. Quite simply, the media is blaming vaccinations, running with poorer scientific evidence and ignoring the quality evidence that does not link vaccination to autism.

There are neurological components, genetic components. Don’t look for a simple answer. It’s not about a cure, it’s about hard work… Therapy, proper education and support.