Ricky Martin Comes Out For His Sons

Ricky Martin Comes Out For His Sons

Ricky Martin came out on his website today, proudly stating that his sons have inspired him to live his truth: “To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids where born with.”

The singer, whose sexuality has been the source of much speculation, posted a long statement that ended with, “I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am.”

Ricky is dad to 1 1/2-year-old twin boys Valentino and Matteo.

Click below to read Ricky’s thoughtful and brave statement…

“A few months ago I decided to write my memoirs, a project I knew was going to bring me closer to an amazing turning point in my life. From the moment I wrote the first phrase I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time. Things that were too heavy for me to keep inside. Writing this account of my life, I got very close to my truth. And thisis something worth celebrating.

For many years, there has been only one place where I am in touch with my emotions fearlessly and that’s the stage. Being on stage fills my soul in many ways, almost completely. It’s my vice. The music, the lights and the roar of the audience are elements that make me feel capable of anything. This rush of adrenaline is incredibly addictive. I don’t ever want to stop feeling these emotions. But it is serenity that brings me to where I’m at right now. An amazing emotional place of comprehension, reflection and enlightenment. At this moment I’m feeling the same freedom I usually feel only on stage, without a doubt, I need to share.

Many people told me: “Ricky it’s not important”, “it’s not worth it”, “all the years you’ve worked and everything you’ve built will collapse”, “many people in the world are not ready to accept your truth, your reality, your nature”. Because all this advice came from people who I love dearly, I decided to move on with my life not sharing with the world my entire truth. Allowing myself to be seduced by fear and insecurity became a self-fulfilling prophecy of sabotage. Today I take full responsibility for my decisions and my actions.

If someone asked me today, “Ricky, what are you afraid of?” I would answer “the blood that runs through the streets of countries at war…child slavery, terrorism…the cynicism of some people in positions of power, the misinterpretation of faith.” But fear of my truth? Not at all! On the contrary, It fills me with strength and courage. This is just what I need especially now that I am the father of two beautiful boys that are so full of light and who with their outlook teach me new things every day. To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids where born with. Enough is enough. This has to change. This was not supposed to happen 5 or 10 years ago, it is supposed to happen now. Today is my day, this is my time, and this is my moment.

These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn’t even know existed.

What will happen from now on? It doesn’t matter. I can only focus on what’s happening to me in this moment. The word “happiness” takes on a new meaning for me as of today. It has been a very intense process. Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution.

RM”

Congratulations on coming out, Ricky!

Filed under: Ricky Martin

Photo credit: Pablo Alfaro/Ricky Martin Web Site

1. Lisa M.

This is something he shouldn’t have felt he had to hide. Kudos to him for coming out to the world. His boys are beautiful & he is happy.

2. Pau

Omg! I think that with that he just killed some million women in the world who dream about him.
    Anyway, good for him! It’s good that he accepted his sexuality, so he won’t be conflicted and won’t get his kids conflicted.
    Those boys are adorable!

By the looks of the picture above, it appears that his sons will also come out gay so kudos to him for getting that out of the way. When it’s time for his sons to come out, they will have an example to follow.

Interesting that you think his sons are gay simply by looking at them as toddlers. I guess you’re psychic!

Not psychic at all. Think about it this way, if people are gay because they can’t help it, then there must be a genetic component to being gay. Therefore, his kids have a 50/50 chance of being gay and by the looks of this picture, his kids are gay.At least the one on the right is..

Anyway, no one should bash me because i firmly believe that people can’t help being gay. They are who they are. It’s who they are. Therefore, why can’t i say that the kids are going to be gay. Is there something wrong with being gay? Do i have to say that the kids are going to be straight? Ah, it appears that’s it! Why is being gay a bad thing?

• Lioness

“by the looks of this picture, his kids are gay.At least the one on the right is..”

By far one of the silliest comments I’ve seen on this site to date. And before you get on me for “bashing your beliefs”, I’ll have you know that I also believe that people are born gay. The problem with your statements isn’t the diagnosis of homosexuality for the kids, and you know it. It’s your METHOD of diagnosis that’s the problem. Who the hell looks at a PICTURE of a 1-year-old and determines he’s gay? What does a gay toddler look like, I ask you? What does gay look like, in general? There aren’t specific features, you know, like individuals with Down’s Syndrome or FAS. So tell us how you make sense?

No point even commenting on this persons post…..obviously written to get people going. It’s so pathetic that it almost sounds unbalanced. Writing retorts will just make this person really happy.

• Camila

Just because Ricky is gay does not mean his kids will be gay. Your comment was not appropriate, all that matters for these kids is that they grow up happy and healthy. As for Ricky Martin and his children I wish them the best. Let him live this new life embracing who he truly is; he deserves nothing but the best in life.

So my comment wasn’t appropriate because i said that his kids are going to be gay. Why isn’t it appropriate? Is being gay a bad thing? According to you, it shouldn’t be a bad thing. Afterall, you applaud Ricky for being gay but not his kids? Shame on the double standards. I can choose to say that his kids are going to be gay. Why do they have to be straight? They have a 50/50 chance of being gay. And they are going to be brought up in a home with parents of the same sex so am sure they will see nothing wrong with that once they get older. Hence they have more of a chance of being gay than straight.

P.s: We all knew Ricky was gay. Yes, you could look at him and see it, but i think people became suspicious after he had those boys. Anyway, my opinion!

first of all i dont think she was saying that its not ok to be gay–cus their isnt,,im all for gayrights and i find nothing wrong at all with being gay i have so many friends who are gay or bisexual and family as well and im also bi as well. BUT all she was saying is you cant SIMPLY look at children of gay people and say they are going to be gay! but u are right they might have a 50/50 chance but those boys can grow up straight u dont know . u cant base it on them being gay cus thier father is but if they did become gay–ur right–so what? embrace who u are. but at the same time u cant assume. :):)

LOLum how old are u? i’m sorry but that is one stupid comment, ugh so much ignorance.

4. alexa

Good for Ricky for coming out. Valentino and matteo are adorable

5. catvomit

I AM SHOCKEd … not

OMG eww is there a hint of pubic hair showing in this picture or is that just a shadow??????????????

7. cyberkitten40

*clap clap clap clap* Kudos to u Ricky! I wish u great happiness..both u and your little boys (who r absolutely beyond adorable!) :))))

• Barry

Ricky, you did the best thing for all of us in the world, for your children and yourself. You will open more doors and rear down more barriers for humanity that ever imagineable. I wish you and the twins a specail and gracious blessing. just keep it loud and Proud.
      Barry

Good for him, just too bad it took him so long to feel comfortable being honest.

9. TIFFANY

I don’t care….he’ still sexy and his kids are cute! Anyway, why do people feel they need to “come out of the closet”? It’s their preference…you don’t here people everyday saying their straight….it’s one’s own personal choice and business. We all have to live with our own decisions. Love Ya Ricky!

10. carolyn

Adorable boys! All the best to Ricky and his family. :)

11. Lioness

Something we all already knew, Ricky, LOL, but I guess if it makes you feel good to spell it out for us, by all means… His boys are sooo bloody cute!!

His children look healthy and good. :)
    I think that he is a good example to the world that homosexuals can be just as good (single) parents as hetrosexuals.
    And am glad that he is out from the closet, people should be pround over who they are.

13. Heart

Sooooo….what else is new…? lol! I saw this years ago…not news to me. lol!

14. Francesca

Not really “new”s, but I’m proud of him for confirming what most of us already assumed. Bravo!

• Todd

Yes totally agree! The way he moves and dances made us doubt of his straightness. Nevertheless, it’s a good thing he already came out in the open. It’s a matter of freedom of choice and we’re free to choose our path to take and the life to live.

I understand he adopted his boys and another man was the sperm donor. Will the boys ever see their biological father. Anyway congrats to the little family.

Since Mr. Martin adopted the children and had a surrogate the boy’s natural father has no rights to the children.

Does the spern donor know that Ricky adopted his children I wonder.

well keep wondering all you want…Can you read before you comment? He is the biological father Jesss…he adopted the kids from the mother who is a surrogate from his babies.

18. Ava

That’s a waste of a good, white boy. Well I guess I should say Puerto Rican boy.

So I guess he really doesn’t know if “She Bangs” or not.

19. Carla

Being Gay and being blessed shouldn’t be used in the same sentence. Being blessed is a divine term (with references to being directlly blessed by God). Being that the act of Homosexuality is condemned by Jesus Christ himself, the blessings that Ricky mentions above aren’t from God. Yes, Jesus loves Ricky but he has condemned the life style that he has chosen & celebrates. My prayers are with him (whether he wants them or not) especially with those beautiful children that they don’t make choose to live outside of Gods will as he has.

20. C. Brady

The boys are cute but they look nothing like Ricky in coloring or features. I wonder who the real dad is.

RICKY IS HOT GAY OR NOT LOL
    AND HIS BABIES ARE ADORABLE!
    && THEY ARE NOT GAy..MAYBE GAy AS iN HAPPY.
    BUT NOT GAY GAY..LOL

Can people leave God out of this, Ricky most probably nows about God, seeing all the wonderful things he is doing for mankind. Why would you say anything bad about him. He is a good dad, and I am sure he will give his children choses in live. He is not a bad person just because he is gay. Beautiful children and they have there dad’s eyes. You can defiantly see the resemblants.

23. Godcares

Carla,
    please donot let anyone shut u up, keep speaking the truth, because God made adam and eve, not adam and steve!
    God bless you all!

Gee how original, News Flash you ignorant person! God made Adam and Eve AND Adam and Steve…only the uneducated and Americans believe in brainwash religion anyway! so your opinion doesnt count :) lol…Religion is brain control for people that cant think for themselves!

24. nike shoes

May be the air max 2010 brand in the United States, and was born in the United States, of course, compared to nike shox shoes, the San Francisco Guide this country attached great importance to them, in fact, is the way San Francisco to celebrate the opening of the first to the tenth anniversary of nike air max 2009 , Nike launched its pair of special Air Max 90 San Francisco Edition, this section of San Francisco SF Special Edition will be available the day of 10 anniversary there, a total of 120 pairs of limited edition.

25. chicken

It’s a matter of choice. God made a Adam and Eve but God also gave us freedom to become what we want. We are free to choose our own path to take. Cute babies Ricky has. :)

RELIGION IS PURE EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!

He really is an ICON to look up to… wish you happiness as a family man…. =)

28. All that is done, is done in China. So wags paraphrased folk wisdom, and they were right. Almost all goods today are produced in the Middle Kingdom, and good crossovers such as Geely GX7 is no exception.

29. lena

how cute that little twins and ricky love you so much