Holly Robinson Peete: “Puberty Plus Autism? Challenging!”

Holly Robinson Peete: "Puberty Plus Autism? Challenging!"

We’re kicking off Autism Awareness month by talking to a celebrity mom who has been living with autism for close to a decade. When Holly Robinson Peete and her husband, former NFL quarterback Rodney Peete, welcomed their first children – twins Rodney Jackson “RJ” and Ryan – they never imagined that one of them would be diagnosed with autism at the age of three.

Autism affects 1 in 110 children and 1 in 70 boys. Holly sat down with Celebrity Baby Scoop to raise awareness for children and families living with autism: “Children in minority communities go undiagnosed too long.” Holly also encourages parents to “get out of denial quickly,” and “find time for yourself.” Continue reading how this busy mother of four keeps her family and career on track.

CBS: Tell us about your new book, My Brother Charlie. What inspired you to write it?

HRP: “My daughter Ryan inspired me to co-write My Brother Charlie with her. She wanted to advocate for her twin brother who has autism.”

CBS: Your 12-year-old son RJ was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3. How have you and your family grown over the past 9 years since RJ’s diagnosis?

HRP: “We grew apart then back together again since our son’s autism diagnosis. It was rough going in the beginning. My husband chronicled our journey in his new book Not My Boy!: A Father, a Son, and One Family’s Journey with Autism. A lot of denial and miscommunication. I am so proud of Rodney and hopeful his book will inspire families affected by autism or any issue during difficult times. We had little hope ten years ago. A book like this would’ve helped us!”

CBS: What are your thoughts on the recent scientific reports conclusively stating that there is no link between childhood vaccinations and autism?

HRP: “So much has been said about this topic already. I’d like to see the spotlight shifted to other less provocative headlines like families struggling to pay for autism treatment, or promoting autism acceptance in schools, or how children in minority communities go undiagnosed too long. There are so many issues that don’t get attention in the media that families struggle with everyday.”

CBS: How is RJ doing these days? What is he into?

HRP: “RJ is going on 13. Loves all sports; MLB especially.

By the way: Puberty plus autism? Challenging! Even more than for typical adolescents. It can cause aggressive behavior and depression. Big transitional hurdle. Another thing you don’t read too much about. We are seeing some regression which is not fun. But he is verbal, affable, he has friends and plays team sports – all of which we were told he’d never do.”

CBS: Do you agree with Jenny McCarthy who says that autism can be healed? Have you done any of the same treatments Jenny did with her son Evan?

HRP: “I agree these kids can get better and improve and I believe in treating the whole child from the inside out not just behaviorally but with a 360 degree approach. When we helped alleviate my son’s GI problems, his language improved. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy helped. Some stuff didn’t help. Thank God we could afford to try things. Most families cannot.

In the end though my son is not ‘healed.’ Some folks in the autism community have issues with words like ‘healed,’ ‘cured,’ ‘recovered.’ I don’t mind them but I get why some would. While I’m always thrilled for anyone else’s child’s progress, my son still has autism. And we have adulthood to plan for.”

CBS: What is your best advice to parents with a child who has just been diagnosed with autism?

HRP: “Get out of denial quickly, dial back your expectations for your kid. Arm yourself with info, keep an open mind and stay proactively hopeful and prayerful. Not helpful to hear it now, but you will survive and even thrive through this ride.”

CBS: How are your three other children: Ryan, 12, Robinson, 7 and Roman, 5? What are they into?

HRP: “Ryan is her twin bro’s guardian angel. [She] loves creative writing, Mandarin Chinese and volleyball. Robinson is an athletic prodigy like his dad plus has the acting bug like mom (pray for us!) and Roman loves tee ball, Star Wars and candy.”

CBS: How does Ryan make out in a house-full of boys? Do you find that you raise her differently than the boys?

HRP: “She is sensitive and reluctantly becoming a young lady and I have to talk to her completely differently than I do the guys. She is so much like I was at 12 so I know what she needs to hear. Advantage: Mom! But she savors being the only girl and works daddy like silly putty.”

CBS: What is your best advice for parents who are raising children, one of which has special needs, and one (or more) who do not have special needs?

HRP: “Find time for yourself. If you break down, so does the whole empire.”

CBS: What is your best relationship advice for couples who have a child with special needs?

HRP: “Again, time alone. Guiltlessly! Stop down to focus on each other from time to time. Easy to say, harder to do, but mandatory!”

CBS: Please tell us all about the HollyRod Foundation. Who does it serve? What is the mission?

HRP: “HollyRod provides compassionate care for families who otherwise would have little to no access to treatment. We are building an autism treatment center in Los Angeles where families can affordably treat their children and find other services they need to keep their families functioning. Our vision is to take this template global. It’s unfair that families have to struggle to treat their children with autism.”

CBS: You are starring on Celebrity Apprentice. Do you have any strategies? How will you manage this busy TV schedule with your family life?

HRP: This show is a lot more grueling than I thought…a true test of endurance and commitment! I only did it for my charity HollyRod.

My strategy is to wait for a few tasks to be Project Manager until I can gauge everyone’s strengths and weaknesses. The biggest challenge is being away from my family. My husband is watching my four kids alone for weeks…that’s a whole other reality show.”

CBS: Tell us about your latest project with the Mexican Hass Avacados Importers Association.

HRP: “I have always loved avocados so it was a natural fit. They are delicious versatile and nutrient-dense. As a mom that’s key for me when I serve them to my kids. I love avocados so much I just cut them in half sprinkle on a little salt-free seasoning and scoop and eat.”

CBS: If you are working on any other projects or charities, please feel free to discuss.

HRP: “Along with running HollyRod, I sit proudly on the boards of Autism Speaks, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles Zoo. I am currently developing a talk show project.”

Filed under: Exclusives,Holly Robinson Peete

Photo credit: Holly Robinson Peete for exclusive use on CBS

1. Nili Suhami

April is National Autism Awareness Month, and in the spirit of raising awareness we’ve produced a short, four-part video series to help educate about autism. Parents can use these videos to learn early warning signs of autism, and potentially access treatment sooner rather than later.
    Help support early intervention today by spreading the word!
    rethinkautism.com

Holly and Rodney have a lovely family and I just adore these new one of the family.Through the years they have featured so many beautiful family pictures. All the best to them. They seem like such an awesome family.

My daughter was diagnosed with autism at age 7. I was actually a relief to have her labeled. I spent years carting her to speech and occupational therapists and trying to figure out why she was so anxious all of the time. Fortunately we had good insurance that covered the therapies. Hopefully moms like Holly bring awareness to such a common condition that affects our children. Schools and professionals need additional training to identify and treat autistic children. Early intervention is they key to them leading a “normal life”. Thank god I was paying attention and did all of the right things to help my daughter during her toddler and preschools years. Not being in denial that her speech and motor skills were delayed and recognizing she had something much more severe than separation anxiety and shyness was key in her development. These kids can improve with the right help. Help looks different for each affected child. One of the most important things my husband and I did was volunteer. We coached sports, , acted as scout leaders and volunteered at school. Making social activities and bearable and school a comfortable environment was her most beneficial therapy we could have given her. She is currently almost 15 and has an adorable, shy boyfriend, participates in high school sports & clubs and has made friends on her her own. Not everything is perfect, her social skills still need work, and she struggles academically.We are always worrying about the next phase of her life.

• Barbara Garris

autism, was not notice among black people in the early 40′s and if it is not notice and your a adult , my life has been hell. are there levels of autism?

4. Don-B-Fool

I work with children with autism and we are doing our part in the school to help the other students and teachers more aware of the children we work with. Together For Autism…step by step we can make a difference.

5. AutismClassroom.com

I also work with children with autism and their families. I run a website called AutismClassroom.com which offers free teaching materials, free training, and free information for teachers ans parents. We also have a book created for teachers and parents about setting up work spaces and classrooms to foster success.

Just by chance I came across your comment. I also work with kids with Autism and run a centre for children with special needs. I am very interested in learning more about what you have to offer. I am also interested in your book. Look forward to hearing from you.

6. Jkell

I have a 12yr. Old son with autism the school system in mcdonald co mo has bee wonderful but this yr he starts jr high and i worried also i am having a hard time finding a dr. For him we havnt had one for a long time because things were fine but now that puberty is hitting we are having problems

7. specialyforu57

College Living for Students with Learning Disabilities, Executive functioning Deficits, Autism Spectrum Disorders (including Autism, Aspergers, and PDD-NOS)

For students with special needs, life after high school is full of possibilities, including college.

Finding the right college program for students with autism spectrum disorders, Asperger’s, nonverbal learning disorder, ADD/ADHD and other learning disabilities is vital for a college student’s transition into independent adulthood. The right program should provide support for each student’s unique needs and goals.

With the help of New Directions, young adults with learning disabilities are experiencing independence for the first time in their lives. Some of our clients pursue collegiate endeavors and some pursue vocational training/tracks. New Directions helps students attend universities, community colleges, and technical and vocational schools.

For more information, go to http://www.newdirectionsfya.com/ or call 954-571-5102 to contact Dr. Drew Rubin, Ph.D.

8. Cassandra Sanchez

Is your child has a sign of autism? Try to practice this autism treatment and find out many things that they understand and use. If you would like to know more about how to cope with autism visit at daejha.com

Cassandra Sanchez http://www.daejha.com

9. cheryl

My 11 year old grandson is going through puberty, he is also being more aggressive. He is mostly non-verbal. Are you or have you experianced any of this?

10. nicki

My lil brother has autism and he’s 9 now but we had some problems with his behavior actin out in a non apropeate maner it jus stopped some but is he the only one actin like this at a young age?? Its made our family go thought a lot in the pass 3years if anyone can relate please comment!!

11. Norma

My grandson is 11 yrs old,We knew at an early age there were some disfunction. Has major G/I problems,we were able to find a Dr that help us with his inability to manage the G/I problem. My question is, A lot is being said about the I PAD being effective in helping the autistic child to read. Can someone shed any light on how effective this is. I want to get one for my Grandson.