Jim Carrey & Jenny McCarthy Split

Jim Carrey & Jenny McCarthy Split

The seemingly blissful Hollywood couple, Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy, have decided to call it quits. “Jim and Jenny have recently decided to end their five-year relationship,” Jim’s rep tells PEOPLE.

The surprising announcement comes just weeks after Jim’s daughter Jane gave birth to a son Jackson. Jenny said “I’m gonna rock as a grandma” in the weeks prior to Jackson’s birth.

“I’m so grateful for the years Jim and I shared together,” Jenny said in a statement. “I will continue to be in his daughter’s life and will always keep Jim as a leading man in my heart.” Jim echoed her warm sentiments on Twitter. “Jenny and I have just ended our 5yr relationship. I’m grateful 4 the many blessings we’ve shared and I wish her the very best! S’okay! ?;^>!”

Over the years, Jim has grown close to Jenny’s son, Evan, who was diagnosed with autism. “He taught me how to love,” Jim said in 2008. “And without Evan I might never have seen the greatness of Jenny’s spirit.”

Jenny has praised Jim’s involvement in Evan’s life: “[He has the] capacity to love and to take on something that most men would completely run away from.”

What do you think happened to Jimenny?

Filed under: Jenny McCarthy

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. I gasped out loud!! I’d hope they would make it. I’d heard that Jim has a dark side. I think he has even said it. Maybe Jenny could not take it anymore. Only those two and the walls really know.

2. Moriah

I’m pretty said about this actually. Loved them as a couple. :(

3. Sophia

Yow, I didn’t see that coming! How sad.

4. melo1983

This is extremelyyy hard to believe considering I just read (like 2 hours ago just) a comment in US where she said she will always be with Jim, like for the rest of her life or something. Idk, I’m not sure if I believe this..

5. Gina

It was a pretty smart move for them to announce it themselves first rather than having the filthy media speculating and what not.

6. stutter?

i am completely shocked… there just seemed to be such a strong love and admiration and friendship together, ialways got the sense that they would be,like, spanning time together…. who knows what could have happened, i have to admit i am REALLY curious to know what could have broken up such a strong and loving relationship…

didn’t see this one coming

Those who criticize certain couples for not being married (like the Watts-Schreibers) should take note of this, as well as all the other recent break ups of married couples. Getting married is no guarantee of staying together, nowadays.

Uh, Jim and Jenny weren’t married. Having said that I do agree that marriage definately doesn’t guarantee that a couple will last.

That is so weird, I was just thinking about Jim and Jenny earlier today, and trying to envision what their romance was like. Guess whatever it was like, wasn’t for forever.

11. Eleonora

I didn’t expect this at all!

12. Cali gal

They do as they choose…. their life. Fortunately, no children involved (she didn’t have his kid). Smoother separation…

13. Lydia SA

I am so heartbroken. They are such a fabulous couple and I really did think that this relationship was it for them. I am consoled a little bit that they have parted amicably but then how else would they part being the mature and great people that they are. I wish them both (and Jenny’s son) good luck for the future.

Maybe he got tired of all her efforts to make other people’s children sick with preventable diseases (i.e., all her crazy and dangerous anti-vaccination efforts).

15. abby

i’m not sure why this is so surprising to everyone. jim carrey has a long history of failed romances, including two marriages. he’s dated so many women and none of his relationships last.

16. Lioness

Doesn’t matter, Abby- past failed relationships doesn’t mean every relationship of his is doomed to fail. And the way you say it sounds like you assume the break-up is Jim’s fault- which you definitely don’t know. Shame- these two “appeared” rock solid. And that’s the lesson, folks- these PICTURES can be deceiving! So stop judging these celebrities and their families based on a few photographs you see of them!

I wish them both the best- that kinda sucks, I was pretty surprised, too.