Nadya Suleman: I Had The Octuplets To “Fill A Void”

Nadya Suleman: I Had The Octuplets To "Fill A Void"

Octomom Nadya Suleman appears on the Oprah Winfrey Show today (April 20) and admits that having octuplets – on top of the six children she already had – was “childish.”

The 34-year-old mother of 4 daughters and 10 sons admits that she should’ve stopped at six:

[I was] caught-up in a childish desire to have more children” to compensate for being an only child. She adds, “[I was using the children to] fill a void.”

A crew from the show visited Suleman’s La Habra, Calif. home to get an idea of her daily life. There are three nannies to help during the day (not at night), grocery bills totalling $1,000 a week and one vehicle to transport all 14 kids around.

When Winfrey suggests that the children might be better cared for in adopted homes, Suleman said she will do everything in her power “to avoid that at all costs.” She also spoke of her feelings of shame since welcoming her eight kids: “I have been ashamed of myself for going through media outlets to take care of my children. I had never been interested in the media industry before having children.”

Check out the rest of this story at RadarOnline.com

Filed under: Nadya Suleman

Photo credit: GSI Media

I am an “only child”, well kind of.. My dad had 4 other kids with two other women, but the age difference was 20 – 25 with the two oldest and 4 – 6 with the others which I hardly ever saw.. I dont want more than 4, at max. I could do with two though. I feel so sorry for her oldest kids, must be so stressfull, and not getting the attention that they need.. I feel Nadya was very selfish, but now she has to grow up and stop spending money on her own needs, and start looking into her childrens needs.. The best thing would probably be foster homes.. Open adoption??

2. courtney

this lady is insane .I don’t believe anything she say.I really feel sorry for her kids and the duggar kids as well.

I don’t much care for this woman, but I do have to give her a little credit. At least she hasn’t sold her kids out to reality television and turned their lives into a horror show like Jon and Kate did. She’s done a pretty good job of keeping them out of the spotlight. With all the other stuff these poor kids have to deal with, at least they don’t have that added burden on them.

• Peta

“At least she hasn’t sold her kids out to reality television and turned their lives into a horror show like Jon and Kate did.”

It’s more like the public backlash against her made the networks think twice about offering her a gig. Her trying to keep them out of the spotlight has little to do with it.

Having kids is a blessing and it’s great, I have 2 kids and don’t plan on having anymore as I feel blessed with 2, a boy and a girl. Having kids to “fill a void” is crazy and selfish, you don’t have kids just to fulfill your own selfish wishes. What is she going to do when they all are grown up???

5. Robyn

Not a fan of her, but I can’t see how anybody could think that splitting them up and sticking them in different adoptive homes could possibly be better. Or the foster system? Are you kidding me? The foster system is a joke. They’re not pets, they’re a family. Maybe a weird one but they deserve to be together. Oprah ought to stick to cocker spaniels.

6. lila grace

last time I heard she does have her own tv show with her 14 kids.beside she sold her kids to the media many times.so I wouldn’t said she keep them out the spotlight.

7. nanpan

what a lame excuse. I’ve known a ton of only children and most of them either have one or two kids of their own. I’ve never known an only child that said, “well, I didn’t like being an only child, so I’m going to have 14 kids!” I agree that she’s childish, but I think being an only child was the least of her issues.

I think it is awfully convienient that she is saying some of what people want to hear…when her house is heading for foreclosure. Perhaps she realized that she couldn’t stay in the media by telling all her lies, so she changes her story to get more interviews. But lets say I believe her sudden change of heart. Isn’t it also selfish to keep the kids when she knows there are people willing to give them the attention and stability they need?

9. Hannah.J

What she did was wrong but the children are here now and she can’t take it back so give her a break.

She doesn’t have a tv show. In fact, after the magazine covers of them in the hospital, I’ve not seen them again until this article. That’s over a year. There’s no way Kate could keep her kids off the tv that long. At least Octomom does one thing well.

11. Shaz

she is stupid

Correcting your headline: Nadya Suleman “I had the octuplets to fill a void….in my wallet.”

No no, no need to thank me. It was my pleasure.