Michelle Duggar Says Baby Josie Has “The Sweetest Personality”

Michelle Duggar Says Baby Josie Has "The Sweetest Personality"

While doctors search for permanent solution to the digestive problems ailing micropreemie Josie Duggar, Michelle and Jim-Bob Duggar are staying positive, reports PEOPLE. Josie was born 15 weeks prematurely on December 10th, 2009, at only 1lb. 6oz., and has suffered from a perforated bowel. Now gaining 0.2 oz per day, the youngest Duggar is up to 5 lbs., 14 oz. Mom Michelle says of her youngest child,

She loves to eat. When she feels good, she looks at you and smiles and talks. She’s definitely a talker and has the sweetest personality.”

After a release from the hospital in April, the youngest Duggar was sent back after only a week. In the past, the 19 Kids & Counting couple revealed that despite the issues with baby Josie, they are not ruling out a 20th child, saying, “We’ll just wait and see what God has in store.”

Filed under: Josie Duggar

Photo credit: TLC

I don’t think this baby is going to have an easy time of it. Another site said she has to have an enema every six hours just to make her digestive system work at all. The Duggars should count their 19 blessings and not risk any more high risk pregnancies.

• doni

what this family is doing is disgusting. im 19 and they are as old as my grandparents. no wonder josie is sick stop having kids hag this is torture and child abuse. you truly disgust me. ps theres no such thing as god so get fixed

doni:
        I’m sure your grandparents are WELL out of their 40s because if they are 40 something, then that means your momma/daddy had you when they were like 8. If you are Atheist, so be it, but DO NOT put other people down for believing in God.

Why do you even follow stories such as these if it disgusts you??? Stop reading about the Duggar family and grow up, you’re 19, so act like an adult. This family works hard for their money. They DO NOT get help from the state.

I agree. This birth should be a wake up call. When will they stop? When one of their children, god forbid, comes out deformed? These pregnancies are hard for these babies but also hard on her. Count your blessings and lock up shop.

I don’t think they’ll stop until, God forbid, they lose a child. Josie still isn’t out of the woods and they should think about how much she’s going to need them as she grows, etc, because she could be facing long-term ailments. Personally, I think they’re crazy for having 19 but to each their own.

3. marissa

i think that as long as they can handle all of the emotional upcomings then if they should wish keep their family going

4. Janna

The fact that *this* baby was premature had nothing (repeat it with me: nothing) to do with the number of kids they have. Why do people insist on thinking that this baby’s birth should teach them some kind of lesson.

Your purpose on earth is *not* to decide how many kids someone else has.

no but it has to do with her age, very heavily on her age.

it likely had nothing to do with her age. I had the same thing happen to me and i was 25 and 27 at the time. I had twins at 37 and the pregnancy went very well. You people need to get a life and mind your own business. Its not anyone ‘s business but the Duggar’s if they choose to have more children.

I couldn’t agree more…mind your own business and worry about things in your own life. The Duggar’s don’t ask for public assistance and they take care of their own family without intervention. They are doing a better job raising 19 kids then some people do raising one.

Seriously—-Josie coming early is sad, but it has nothing to do with how many kids they have had. I wish her good health.

No maybe nothing to do with the number of kids they have, but the advancing age of the mother certainly does have a bearing. No one said the baby’s health had anything to do with the actual number of children. Also, as mentioned, Josie is going to need a great deal of care for a long time….she doesn’t need to be competing with the next pregnancy.

You people are ridiculous, saying she should stop before a baby dies as if she is killing it willingly….why does it matter if she has a child who is disabled or if a child passes away naturally for her to stop having kids…that is part of nature/life, some babies live some don’t, babies die all the time regardless of what mom/dad do or don’t do or how many siblings the child will have…why do we live in a world that we think that it isn’t natural that spme babies don’t make it in this world? I think this family is doing a pretty good job raising their family on their own for the most part…sure we can find things to disagree with them on, but it’s not our business, it’s their life. WHY on earth does it matter to YOU if they continue or not continue having children…their family is much happier than MOST families I see with 1 or 2 kids…I see sad, lonely kids all the time BEGGING for their parents love and devotion and attention. Again, I am confused why people don’t realize that while truly sad and heartbreaking as it is, babies do pass away, it is the course of nature. Just as animals don’t all make it, there is no reason to say that animal shouldn’t be allowed to procreate again because it may suffer loss at having another child that may or may not pass away. Obviously we can’t compare humans to animals too literally but it’s still nature at it’s core.

This mentality would only be fitting if the mother KNEW her pregnancy would cause a great chance of harm or death to a child, meaning she has some sort of genetic problem etc…that all her babies die when they are born so she keeps having babies…EVEN then, who are we to tell her no, like I said, it is still nature taking it’s course, MAN is NOT in control and does not get the final say in who lives and dies…we need to stop thinking we have some sort of say in who creates life or not.

Yes babies do die but dont you think they have been blessed with enuff children.Why when you already have a big family would you feel a NEED to put another babies life at risk. Michelle does not have the time or energy for the ones she already had. When do you see her playing with or even holding her kids after she is done breast feeding.That job goes to the older children so why have them if you have to many to mother. She is more like a favorite school teacher then a mother when she inner acts with the kidsr.
      the rate of having a child with Downs syndrome in a mother at age 25 is
      1:2000, a figure that rises to1:200 at age 35, and climbs to 1:40 for
      mothers over the age of 40.”The odds ration for cardiac defects was 3.95 in infants of women 40 years as compared to women
      20-24 years of age. The risks of clubfoot and diaphragmatic hernia
      also increases as maternal age increased.

Women over the age of 40 do know that they have a much greater risk of harm or death to the child. Almost all women know that having kids past 40 is not the wisest choice. I’m sure Michelle Duggar knows this (she’s not an idiot). Yet, she still chooses to expose a child to this potential calamity. That is why I find her irresponsible.

I think the number of pregnancies and her age had EVERYTHING to do with this poor baby’s premature birth. She had a history of preeclampsia and has hinted about other complications but IGNORED medical advice to get pregnant again. Surprise surprise, she had to deliver way too early. I think it’s absolutely sinful what they’re doing to this poor little baby, and I pray they don’t do it again. Disgusting.

She does not have a histor of preeclamsia. She had it twice before. Which is actually the average when you look at overall births. If a woman with four children had preeclamsia with two pregnancies, then it would be a history of preeclamsia.

And they AREN’T trying to get pregnant. They just don’t believe in trying to prevent it. I’m sure not much has been going one between the two of them with all the worry about josie, so it will probably be a while, and if it isn’t, how in the world is them having another child going to affect any of you?

Not true. They chart her fertility. She typically weans now at six months, hands the kid off to its buddy and goes for the next pregnancy. This isn’t speculation, this is FACT.

However, Josie CANNOT be foisted off onto a buddy. She won’t be out of the woods until she’s well into toddlerhood.

• doni

agreed

Something struck me as interesting when i saw the show. they are a very fundamental Christian family, which means that michelle follows her husband and takes obedience seriously. I wonder if Jim Bob basically force her into this and she just takes it in the perfect wife way with a smile. Her body must be so tired. This” following” thing is serious in Christianity, it’s a promise to your husband. I don’t know if I can blame michelle. I think Jim-Bob’s behind all this.

Not all Christians believe like that. I am a christian and I would never do it with my husband if I didn’t want to. I am 24 and I had twins at 25 weeks when I was 21. Your age doesn’t have anything to do with delivering a baby prematurely. Stress can cause premature delivery as well as dehydration, a urinary tract infection, diabetes, and like her preclampsia.

Really this should be a wake up call and it does have a lot to do with Michelle’s age. While we hope that Josie will make a full recovery but there is the issue of the mother’s health and need to care for the children that are already in the family unit. Nothing is more tragic than children losing their mother to childbirth. To those whose complain about the natural loss that occurs in life-when it can be prevented it should be. There is also an underlying mindset issue of a woman’s life is more expendable than that of a child or an ideology. Your choice if you wish to subscribe to the notion but this is not everyone’s idealogy.

I think its a shame we feel our opinions are what counts. Yes she is a older mother, so was mine, and my brother had NO medical conditions due to this. But in saying that, it could of happend. She is putting a lot of strain on her body but this is Michelle’s choice. I do not agree personally with the idea that god will determine how many kids they should have. What i do think though if it even matters is, we do not have the right to take that from the Duggars. There kids are good kids and they will have to figure out what is right and wrong for there family. They do not live off the state, they do not beg for food, and they have there own home. I see more young mothers here in the uk falling pregnant having baby’s with problems and living off the state. But I do feel maybe if “I” were Michelle I would consider things for the future, but again only they know what is best for there family!!!

Pretty sure Josie has something wrong with her…I kept pausing the episode of her coming home to see her again and again. She looks like she may have a deformity that could be non-related to her prematurity…and again, AGE OF THE MOTHER MATTERS TO THE HEALTH AND WELLNESS.

I agree there is something wrong with that baby. I have seen alot of premature babies and her look has nothing to do with that to me. She is close to 5 lbs now. Well 4 some thing. To me her look has nothing to do with how little she is.

I’ve had 4 premature babies myself and spent alot of time around NICU’s ….and she looks just like any other premature baby i have seen.

Yes older people do have more of a risk carrying a baby not just Michelle but all older women. The more c sections a woman has the more of a risk she has for her uterus to rupture. Young people have premature babies too not just older women. I am sure the doctors tell her that its not a good idea to get pregnant again but she still does it. I hope that she doesn’t get pregnant again because that baby needs as much attention as possible. But I am not perfect and I am sure your not. Let he without sin cast the first stone.

We’ll pray together for the speedy recovery of baby Josie. Don’t think the negative side, just think the prositive side. We all know that a child is the best gift from the above.. don’t blame the parents or anybody else. There is a good reason why this happened to the Duggars family especially to baby Josie. We, people don’t have the right to judge. Keep on praying for them and for the whole world…

Not only does Josie have bowel issues as seen on tlc she probley has other medical issues why are they waiting so loonnggg to fix her “plumbing problems” New infants are operated on at birth alot. I still want to know who is paying for 6 months minus 36 hours in the NICU. either they have mega great insuance or the goverment is paying so they arenot debt free

I thought I was the only one who noticed that Josie did not look normal. I had two pre-mature deliveries, but my babies and others in the NICU for the same issue, did not have the weird little face that Josie has. Poor little thing! I am sure that there is something definitely wrong with her that we are not privy to yet. Wait and we will see the results of their beliefs as Josie gets older. Not our business but it is cruel to make the decisions that the Duggars have and will make in the future; the children all suffer in different ways. To me their way of life is cult like and Jim Bob is the cult leader who nobody dares to question. Unfortunately, their son and daughter in law are following the exact same doctrines. Their children of all ages do not know any better because they live in a controlled environment; always watched and chaperoned. Sad, sad, sad! Freedom is a wonderful thing!

So much advise here. The family size is really no ones business but the Duggars and God. So you decide it isn’t for you ok. I find that 19 kids and all doing well and no welfare or law troubles, no drugs, alcohol is amazing. I enjoy their story and say it is their choice. I would have loved a larger family but cancer decided 3 was all. There is a abundance of love and this family is well cared for and loved. Continue with God and their concious. Nothing else matters. God bless Josie. She will do well. NICU nurse in my other life!

This family, while they say they are debt free, create a trermendous footprint on this earth. They probably pay little personal income taxes because of the size of their family. They use a lot of natural resources and one has to wonder how much the 5-6 months that Josie spent in NICU cost the hospital. They say that they have insurance, but insurance DOES NOT cover the entire cost. Insurance reimburses so poorly, that hospitals and doctors cannot provide this kind of care without subsidies in one form or another, either by Government reimbursement, very high fees collected from those who do not have insurance, or donations. It would be interesting to see what the hospital billed and what the hospital was reimbursed.
    Nonetheless, they add to the waste stream, and it is not fair that the older children “partner” with the younger ones, substituting as parents. Did anyone see the episode when Jim Bob and Michele were away, and the younger children ate pizza on the kitchen floor? I think it is good that they home school, because the younger ones seem to be unruly. Pity the teacher that would have to keep them on task. One wanted to sit on the other side of the table. His solution was to jump across the top to the other side. While the older children seem very mature, they cannot parent the younger ones as Jim Bob and Michele would, as they don’t have the judgement and maturity to make decisions for the children. They are very sheltered. I wonder what the older ones do. Josh and John seem to be “working,” in the auto resale/towing business, but what do the older girls do? They don’t seem to have jobs, except for this reality show.
    Something needs to be done about health care. Why should one baby receive so much of the hospital’s resources, when those who have lost their jobs, lack insurance, etc., cannot get the same degree of care.

I think it’s time Michelle Duggar had her tubes tied. She is not a young woman anymore and it’s time for her and her husband to step up and stop foisting the younger children on the older ones. Why should the older children be saddled with the responsibility of raising a younger sibling? What kind of parenting is that?? These people are whacked. Close your legs, Michelle.

22. Pam W.

I have a mentally handicapped son who is 15. I didn’t know that we had a genetic problem in our family until after he was born. I personally couldn’t want that many children, but as others have said – it is their choice. My concern has been and always will be the children. Michelle seems to appear to be the “perfect” mother, loves all her children . . . but why does she then “hand off” the care of the young ones to her older children? Children need parents not siblings to raise them.

I have often commented to friends and family what would happy if the Duggars had a disabled child. God forbid that anyone should have to go through what my family does each day but on the other hand I also am grateful for my son in my life every single day. He has shown me more wisdom, courage and enjoyment of life than any “typical” child, including my other 2 kids.

My thoughts and prayers are for any children that struggles in life. Regardless that I personally disagree with the Duggar’s choices in life, the baby cannot be held responsible. I can only hope that she is given the care and attention she deserves….. from her PARENTS.

she’ll only stop when they realize that procreation is SCIENCE not religion or when they have a miscarriage.

24. Eleanor Grant

My grandmother had 11 Children. The last ones she had she was 44, 45, and 46 years old. All three are girls and the cutest, smartest ones in the family. You just never know. My mother had her sixth and last child at 37. He has Down’s Syndrome.
    I don’t think the Duggars will stop until the uterus is gone. No matter what condition the babies are in when they come out. They believe this is God’s decision to make.