Céline Dion: It’s Been “Physically & Emotionally Exhausting”

Céline Dion: It's Been "Physically & Emotionally Exhausting"

Céline Dion, 42, just announced that she and her husband René Angelil, 68, are expecting twins. The French-Canadian songstress, whose previous IVF attempts had failed, tells Le Journal de Montreal it’s been an exhausting year-long endeavor.

I feel like I’ve been pregnant more than a year. I never gave up. But I can tell you that it was physically and emotionally exhausting.”

“Everyone knows that Céline has guts and is determined,” adds proud hubby René. “These treatments were truly hard on my wife’s body. It wasn’t simple at all.”

Their perseverance paid off when the couple found out they are expecting twins. “There were truly great emotions after all our efforts,” boasts Dion.

The couple traveled from their Florida home to New York for months of treatments. The singer also turned to acupuncture from a Montreal-based specialist.

“My doctors had to constantly reassure me. I [wanted] to see the babies,” she says. “Each week I had sonograms. I heard their heart beats.”

The multi award-winning recording artist is listening closely to doctors’ orders.

It’s stressful but I’m relaxing. I look at my little belly. I do almost nothing,” she says. “If you tell me I have to stay in bed, I will stay in bed until November, when the babies are born. To bring them into the world, there’s nothing more important than that. It’s incredible. We will have a beautiful family nest full of love.”

Dion still plans to kick off a new Las Vegas show next year. She says she loves her career, but realizes that there’s an even higher priority in her life.

“There are no accomplishments bigger than [being a mom]. The trophies and the money, that doesn’t give meaning to life and that doesn’t give you true happiness,” she says. “A baby – yes.”

Céline and René are already parents to 9-year-old son René-Charles.

Filed under: Celine Dion

Photo credit: INFdaily.com

I’m happy for them but I don’t understand why people go through such drastic measure to get pregnant. I know she has the money to do so, but IVF 6 times?! There are so many babies in the world who need to be matched with loving families yet so many celebs seem to be intent on having babies with their own DNA! Maybe it goes along with the self-absorbtion of celebrity? I don’t know. Happy it finally worked out for her, though.

2. Courtney

she’s being a tad over dramatic no sure it’s been a long road to get here now but why say something so obvious about such a blessed occassion

I hope it’s boy/boy twins.

She is only 42?? Anyway, I hope everything goes well.

She looks like she is 62! How old is her husband? Is he in his 80′s?

They cannot adopt because they are TOO old! Her husband is in his late 60′s. Much too old to adopt!

She sounds like she is some sort of a “martyr”. Overly dramatic in my opinion. Is anything left private anymore? Some woman can never have children of their own. She is lucky she has one already! Enough Celine!

8. Tazina

I don’t mind hearing about Celine’s experiences getting pregnant, etc. She’s always been up front with her fans and they love her for it. If you don’t like it, then don’t come here or read about her elsewhere. It’s your deal. And yes they’re older, but they have the resources to care for these babies. They will never lack for anything including a huge extended family.

9. Cabos

Congratulations and all, but seriously she sounds obsessed.

She is very dramatic! Congratulations to her but some women cannot even have one child! Enough already!

11. Courtney

you’ve obviously never watched somebody go through being pregnant and excited one moment and then not being anymore so you shouldn’t make blanket statements and adoption rules are different in different countries so they mabye able to adopt if the chance comes up you never know

good luck with to them with the twins I’m hoping Girl/Girl twins but either way would be fine as long as Celine and the babies are healthy

12. MJ

I think everyone is being a little harsh. Infertility is heartbreaking. Having children of your own is very important to lots of people. I think her ability to be open is courageous. I do agree though that perhaps she may have considered adoption by now but I can understand her wanting her own.

13. CDionFan21

Thank you MJ finally someone says something nice! Celine deserves this soo much! She has struggled since she was 27 to become a mother and her dream came true after SIX years of trying to have Rene Charles and now NINE years later she is blessed doubly with twins! Congrats darling I love you!

14. Rach

I think it is great that people adopt and in the past decade or so that celebrities have made it such the thing to do. However, I do not think anyone (celebrity or not) should be judged or criticized for choosing to have children from their own DNA instead of adoption. Even if that means trying over and over again when they have the resources to do so (like Celine). It almost seems that adoption is such the “IN” thing now, that people are just expected to do it.

15. abby

i think this is great news for her, but i do agree that it is selfish to keep trying for biological children when you’re an older woman. i just saw this show on discovery health channel “pregnant at 70″ some of the women on there were just ridiculous. one woman tried ivf three times at the age of 60 finally became pregnant, miscarried one baby out of twins..finally had ther healthy baby girl and is now trying to get pregnant AGAIN. why put your own health and your baby’s health at such risk?? why not adopt?? i know adoption is very difficult and expensive too, but 60 years old?? the woman had to turn to russia because they were the only country that would help her. my beloved favorite singer tori amos miscarried three times before she was able to have a healthy baby and even she said when asked about trying for more, “i don’t want to be greedy”. i can tell you after working in a daycare the potential to bond with any child, biological or not is great. i may have had doubts prior to working there, but any one of those kids i could have loved as my own. anyway, congratulations to celine.