Sean Penn: Robin Is A Ghost To Me Now

Sean Penn: Robin Is A Ghost To Me Now

It’s been a year of change for actor Sean Penn. Not only did his marriage to Robin Wright come to an end, but the Oscar-winner has left Hollywood and taken up residence in the earthquake-devastated region of Pétionville, Haiti, where he runs a camp for 50,000 displaced survivors.

“I wanted to give back something more to help struggling people, but I didn’t know how best to do it,” the 49-year-old actor tells Vanity Fair. “I was for 20 years in a relationship with Robin and 18 years with children. I didn’t have time to commit to anything—for real—in places like Iraq, except to denounce the war. But now I’m single. I can lend a hand.”

Of his ex Robin, he says, “She is a ghost to me now. We spent all those years together. … Now she’s just gone.”

Sean adds that he has no plans to leave Haiti, where he works alongside international aid providers and army officials.

“There is no exit for me until there is more life than death…. It’s a reciprocal thing. They have returned to me something I had lost—my humility.”

Sean and Robin are parents to daughter Dylan, 19, and son Hopper, 17.

Filed under: Sean Penn

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Cari

What a nice thing to say about the mother of your children and someone you spent the last two decades with. Humility, Sean? Learn what the word means.

2. Lioness

Hey- gotta respect the guy for putting his money where his mouth is. Actually living in Haiti amongst the earthquake victims is a far cry from just donating. And I’m not saying everyone is in a position to just pick and move to Haiti, I’m just saying that it’s nice he isn’t all talk.

3. Cabos

I don’t understand his comments. If he didn’t want to commit to marriage why did he marry in the first place? It seems like he’s saying his marriage and children were a burden and kept him from what he really wanted to do. I’m sorry but that’s stupid and humility my butt. What about Brad Pitt and Angelina? So family now keeps people from helping others? Why doesn’t he use his family to help as well? Like setting a role model for his kids, taking them to places where people need help. Making them being part of what he wants to do for others.

Helping others is not exclusive for “single” people like he’s trying to make it sound. I’m sorry but he gives me a really bad vibe. I don’t care if saves the planet or solar system, he’s a self centered moron when he talks like that about his own family.

Haiti is a GREAT place for Sean. Here’s to hoping he stays there permanently and keeps his mouth shut in the future. He is an abomination to the human race.

God, what a ginormous douche.

Spicoli, thou art a horse’s arse.