Katie Holmes & Her Blue Marker Munchkin

Katie Holmes & Her Blue Marker Munchkin

With the paparazzi camped outside of their New York City apartment building, Katie Holmes and her 4-year-old daughter Suri returned home after a full-day photo shoot on Tuesday (June 22). It looks like Suri had a blast drawing all over her legs with a blue marker!

We just spotted Katie and Suri with big sister Bella, 17, out and about in the Big Apple.

The Holmes-Cruises are in New York while dad Tom Cruise promotes his latest film, Knight an Day, costarring Cameron Diaz.

Filed under: Katie Holmes,Suri Cruise

Photo credit: INFdaily.com / Bauer Griffin / Fame

PATHETIC!

Really, no one here ever wrote on themselves with a marker as a kid, or had a kid that did it? Unless you’re watching the kid literally every second, it happens sometimes. My cousin’s son grabbed a marker and started drawing on himself in about 10 second when she had her head turned. It happens. Kids do that sort of thing all the time and it doesn’t mean you’re a bad parent. It’s really not that big of a deal, and once it happens, there’s not much you can do about it because it doesn’t wash off right away. I’m no fan of this family, but some of the comments here are really unreasonably harsh.

• Audrey

My daughter when 3 used a marker to redo her eyebrows. But my granddaughter got even with her and used a marker to redecorate their kitchen and to “paint” her toenails. : ) Your right, it happens.

• Lioness

I was just wondering the same thing- NONE of you has ever drawn on themselves as a kid? I know I have, and there was nothing wrong with me- I saw it as harmless play. My body was just another canvas. It’s harmless, how can SO many of you possibly find something wrong with this, all she has to do is take a few baths, and voila! Marker gone.

These people a truly bizarre!!

Sad, sad, sad!

Suri writing on her leg is not the weird part to me,but the LEATHER jacket katie is wearing on a hot ass day! i live here in N.Y. city is hot and humid! NOW THAT’S CRAZY!!!

6. Wendy

looks like she wants be just like an avatar, get to be somebody else and get away from those parents and the 40 paparazzi that follow them everwhere… seeing this child like this is just too sad… she looks so scared poor little angel!

Katie looks like a zombie! What happened to that pretty, bubbly, smiling Katie Holmes? She married Tom Cruise and was brainwashed!

This is a form of child abuse and neglect

oh yeah, blue marker quick call child services!!
      u people are pathetic, she is four years old.. and she was drawing? big deal

i really hope you are kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are a joke !!!!! nothing wrong with a lil kid coloering on herself !!!!!! you guys are acting like she killed someone – she is 4 when all of you who thinks its nuts have kids than come back and comment !!!!!!!!

• AnnieMouse

Every single abused child in the world is laughing at your ignorance right now! How can you possibly put coloring on oneself (which I call exploring their creativity!!) in the same category with abuse and neglect?? For real? Child abuse is not a term to just throw around. As a foster parent to abused/neglected children, I’m appalled. I’m sure all the children being raped, touched, beat, cut, burnt, etc. would LOVE to be “abused” by being allowed to color on their legs. You are a MORON!!

Seriously people???? My daughter wanted to open up a business when she discovered drawing on herself with marker!! All the kids she played with were jealous because as long as she didn’t draw on her clothes, I didn’t care! I had to break it to her that not all parents would let their kids have her artwork on their arms and legs.

Honestly. Child services. Right.

Call child services QUICK because I also didn’t get pissed when she drew with sharpie on the walls. My walls, my kid, my husband’s fault for bringing the danged things home from work because there was NO PLACE that child could not reach.

And no, I didn’t advocate her drawing on herself with sharpie, though it wouldn’t hurt her any more than the crayola markers did, it just took longer to wear off.

And it’s pretty pathetic that I felt the need to QUALIFY that remark. Child services. Honestly.

9. Allison

You people are completely crazy. A kid drawing on their legs with a marker is a sad cry for help? WTF.

I remember doing that myself. Not because I was lonely or had bad parenting, but because I thought it was fun and pretty.

My kids do the same thing. So long as its washable and they dont have to go to school, I’m fine with it. No harm done. And I certainly dont think they’re lonely, either.

This family is whacko! My mom raised 6 kids and none of us drew on ourselves like that! We had coloring books. Obviously no one was paying attention to her at the time!

Tom and Katie ARE an indication of bad parenting!

Let’s see – Suri’s parents allow her to wear high heels, makeup, jewelry, PJ’s and slippers out in public, she still drinks from a bottle and wears diapers. They seem like a normal family!

At least she didn’t draw on the walls with permanent marker! That’s probably Crayola washable. Katie & Tom probably encourage self-expression. Who cares? My neighbor used to come to the bus stop to pick up his brothers in a full scuba outfit one day and then as a pirate or cowboy the next day. When he wasn’t in any of these costumes, he dressed as Spiderman, WITH the mask. You guys are ridiculous. If I was 4 years old, you better believe I’d want to go shoeless and be held by someone. Leave the kid alone. If those paparazzi were flashing bulbs in my face all day, every day, I would hold my kid at all times, no matter how old. That is scary for an adult, imagine being 4 years old. I certainly don’t blame Katie, Tom or any of these other celeb parents. Just cut them some slack. I’m sure none of you are perfect parents either — your eccentricities or allowances just weren’t caught on 25+ paparazzi cameras.

• anonymous

How do you know she doesn’t draw on the walls? Betcha she does!

you are sooo right !!!!!!!!!!!! people are killing their babies , drugging them , selling them and people are worrying calling her a bad mom beacuse the lil girl is a brat and they let her so what she wants !!!!!! omg katie is a bad mom she lets her put marker on her leg and lets her wear high heels OMG get that kid away from her mom and dad now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t find the marker unreasonable…it happens. I doubt Kate let her color all over herself. I am more concerned about the paps….they need to remove the poor girl from this whole situation…she is being traumatized!!! They should move away from LA and never look back!

I’ve never drew on myself with a marker. I had coloring books, blackboards, easels etc that I didn’t need to draw on my legs. This family needs to have their heads examined. This is a cry for attention.

Congratulations – do you want a medal for being so perfect? Markers aimed at children are non-toxic precisely because they know children have a habit of drawing on themselves and putting them in their mouths. It’s completely normal. Just because you didn’t do it doesn’t mean lots of other kids don’t or that it’s any indication of bad parenting.

BOOORING and all the people who are complaning about it are the same kind just zzzzzz boring.

• Lioness

I had all of those things as well, and still drew on myself. It’s not about needing to draw on yourself, but about the curiosity of what it would look like on your skin instead of paper- same reason why kids color on walls. I hope you don’t have a tattoo, because by your logic, you would be even sicker than Suri supposedly is… you know, given that you have all this paper to express your self with…

well … feel sorry for you because you missed out lol

16. anonymous

OK, I’m not sure what to say about this one….hmmmm just too weird! Suri has issues.

There is something terribly wrong with this family!

18. anonymous

SO STRANGE!

Suri needs some friends to occupy her time! Who in their right mind would allow their child to draw all of themselves with a marker? There is something terribly wrong with this family!

20. anonymous

So very sad

So sad! This family has some terrible problems that are being ignored!

This is pathetic! What on earth is wrong with Tom and Katie for raising Suri like this? This is not even funny!

They are NOT in LA right now – they are in NYC. Suri should be in
    pre-school or a playgroup with kids her own age! What the hell is wrong with Tom and Katie?

I’m so happy there were no paparazzis around my kids when they were little. You would have burn me alive…

It’s just no normal to carry a four and a half year old child around wrapped in a blanket. How many people walk around seeing a child that old being carried that way!!! nobody!

When you have hordes of aggressive, sometimes violent paparazzi hounding you, it’s kind of necessary. There have been lots of stories about paps getting very physical and not respecting personal boundaries with celebs. Is that somethign you’d want to subject your child to? Children walk slowly and dawdle, and carrying them both ensures you get to where you’re going and also protects the child.

I meant it’s NOT normal

27. anonymous

I have a feeling that Tom and Katie are in total denial about what this lifestyle is doing to Suri. She is scared and completely uncomfortable with the papz. They also have pretty strange parenting. I feel sorry for Suri…

her first tattoo how sweet. They never say no to her. Not everyones is mellow, let’s see how this turns out.

I feel very sorry for Suri. She is NOT leading the normal life of a 4 year old. Her parents should be ashamed of themselves!

• AnnieMouse

Her dad is TOM CRUISE!! How could she possibly have a “normal” childhood!! I’m sure if my father was in some of the most popular movies of the 80s/90s and continues to put out blockbusters, I wouldn’t have led a normal life either…give me a break! Any child born to him would not have a normal life! Does that mean then that he shouldn’t be allowed to reproduce? Come on people…

what the hell is wrong with a lil girl having marker and coloring on herself ??????????????????? I am a mother of 4 kids and my husband has tattoes and all of my kids have colored on them selfs .. ” putting tattoes on them with marker ” calling her theses and saying something is wrong with her , i mean come on its not like she was hurtting a aminal or killing one now that would be sick and something wrong with her !!!!!!! NOTHING is wrong with ” KIDS ” COLORING ON THEMSELFS!!!!!!! do i think tom and kate how a little werid thing going on her YES she looks like a zombie and he is just nuts , but nothing is wrong with a little kid coloring on them self

• Wendy

It’s actually scary that you have four children and don’t know basic grammar. And you’ll only have a full right to share your opinion about this matter if your children grow up into normal, well-adjusted adults, until then it’s just talk.

@anonymous Jun 22, 2010 @ 09:01 pm

I completely agree. Children sometimes do stuff like that, they draw on walls or their younger siblings or themselves. It happens, and as long as it does not happen all the time, with a kid obsessively doing it, I don’t see what is wrong with that.

However, I must say the family looks weird and unhappy. I can imagine that something is going on at home that makes neither Katie nor Suri happy.

Wow. What a bunch of venomous hags on here just out to make Suri posts miserable. No one, I mean NO ONE who has been around children could say that Crayola scribbles on the skin are indicative of abnormal behavior, unless they are liars. Absolutely no way, no how. Why do you think they even created a line of washable art supplies for children? Why invent those new clear markers that only show up on special paper? Children are stinkers! As a preschool teacher I see on a daily basis these silly little goofballs coming in with bright green hands, red feet, purple faces, and orange facial hair. And I can’t tell you how often chagrined parents contact me to say, “Don’t bother trying to wash her beard off, somehow she got her hands on a sharpie!” This is what children do, and unless you had lousy parents keeping you in a closet, you did it too. I’m terrified at the thought of a child NOT exploring their environment this way. Abnormal is the child who doesn’t express that curious, whimsical side of their little personality. No normal child has escaped a good childhood without writing on themselves. It just doesn’t happen. I have worked with children as old as 12, and EVERY parent knows that even your preteens will doodle on skin.

My personal conclusion is that this family is far more normal than a number of you frequenting this blog, but the only *truth* here is, these particular celebrity parents can not and will not win. You’ve deemed them weird, strange, outcasts, and therefore even their child must be publicly reviled, even if it takes a ludicrous stretch to do it. And we wonder why children become bullies. Perhaps it’s because the adults that surround them set that example very, very well…

The marker isn’t disturbing to me…the line of paparazzi photographing them makes my stomach churn. Suri hiding her face in the blanket…it’s so sad. I guess I was naive to think it was just one pap or two providing these pictures. This child is going to have some issues from all this hounding.

I agree — I had the same reaction.

I think CBS should think twice about posting photos of people who clearly don’t want their pictures taken. Everyone gets on Katie’s case for not looking happier, but to me it obvious that she just wants all these jerks to leave her and her child alone!!

Please, CBS — is there some sort of moral code or, at least, a loose policy about posting photos that were obtained using hostile or obtrusive tactics??

• Wendy

Maybe they shouldn’t post pics where the children is hiding his or her face because of the paparazzi and clearly does not want their picture taken, or just looks very unhappy.

Suri is 4 years old!
    What is the big deal?
    Kids do stuff like this all the time.

• Venni

Writing on your leg (as a child) is not abnormal — but usually a parent or guardian will stop the child BEFORE the child manages to cover their legs with drawings. Who would sit there and watch their child go at it like this? Aren’t you supposed to teach the child what is appropriate behavior and what is not? Would they allow her to use scissors to cut away at her clothes or hair?? I always tell my 6 year old “markers/crayons and scissors are for paper” Either Suri wasn’t being watched (I doubt it) or she proceeded to pitch a fit when someone tried to take the markers away so the adult gave in to keep her quiet. That is the problem!!

35. Sarah G.

I would NOT let my daughter do that.

I agree, I would not let my child do this, but I do think the most disturbing part is not the marker on legs but the paps. and the way the child hides, clearly not enjoying this lifestyle that has been put in front of her. Why can they not live in a gated area or somewhere where you drive underneath and park, something not so Public, I don’t get it. I don’t like how they parade her around in the latest fashions either like Prada or whoever, she’s a kid, let her be a kid. It is a bit bothersome, and the high heels. Good luck to her especially in the teenage yrs.

Very sad, what a boring and restrictive life she has. :( I hope she has someone else in her life who lets her be creative and develop normally like the rest of the world’s healthy children.

Real daughter or hypothetical daughter? Because I’m guessing you don’t actually have a daughter and are just speaking hypothetically. Because unless she is in your eyesight every second of every day (unlikely if you plan on ever sending her to school, at the very least), it is not something you have the power to let her do or not do. Kids will do things like that when you’re not looking whether you like it or not.

36. Wendy

Katie could have covered up Suri’s legs with the blanket she’s always carrying around (very strange by the way), but no, they thrive on this kind of attention. The bigger freak Suri turns out to be, the better for them, because they have nothing else to make them relevant and be in the papers.

37. Love children

Nooooo i hate u kitty u big broplems why u dosn’t carring? I love u suri but so sad not funny

she is a kid!!! when i have more age i paint all my legs with blue paint, and i am very normal, i think that the kids who not do that(express thenselves, being free) are weird and stupid adults, like yourselves!!

39. Leya

“This is what children do, and unless you had lousy parents keeping you in a closet, you did it too. I’m terrified at the thought of a child NOT exploring their environment this way. Abnormal is the child who doesn’t express that curious, whimsical side of their little personality. No normal child has escaped a good childhood without writing on themselves. It just doesn’t happen.”

That statment is just so prejudicial. and narrow-minded. I have never drawn on my own skin, so it means I wasn’t a normal kid or what?Just beacuse my parents told me to draw on paper ( how conventional and boring!!!!) means they were lousy???????? What kind of teacher are you?????????
    I am a teacher as well, although not in the US, and I do agree that kids tend to draw on everything including themselves, but as an adult – a parent or a teacher-it is your responsibility to tell them and teach them not to do so. And actually by the age of four, kids know how to use pencils, chalk etc, so it is nor really the first choice of theirs to color themselves.
    I don’t think you cannot explore your personality or express yourself any other way. What Suri did to herself is not the most bothering thing to me, but clearly indicates that she is not restricted at all, she does what she wants. But I feel real sadness looking at this beautiful child, as it is obvious she does not want that kind of attention she gets. Katie and Tom could choose another life which is less in the public eye, many other A-listers do if they do not want to expose their children. Not to mention is it really the best fun for a kid to go to work with mommy? A four -year old needs the company of other children , and this kid is never seen with her peers, you never see her play… this is what I find disturbing much more that the fact she actually draws on herself.

Determined to hate them, aren’t you, even if it takes hypocrisy, projecting, and lies, hm? Anyone who’s actually been a child educator and/or a parent can see this. Who are you honestly trying to kid? A four year old preferring always, without fail, to be perfect little artists? Very funny – but your lie isn’t even good.

You have a lot of nerve being offended by someone else’s opinion, you know. Are only you allowed to assume whatever you wish? Let’s see. Though Suri’s not been seen doodled before let alone on a daily basis, you assume she has no colouring books, no boundaries, and was not corrected for colouring on her body. Though you see but five minutes of her life a month at absolute most, you assume she is never with other children, and not one building her parents brought her to has had other children inside. Even more, though pictures of Suri playing at the park exist galore along with pictures of her playdates with children such as the Beckham boys, nevermind the celeb interviews that have mentioned her playdates and Suri as a happy, playful child, you just ~know~ she does not play with other children. Amazing!!

No ma’am, you did ~not~ have a normal childhood!!! You proved the point exactly!

40. musiclover@yahoo.com

The marker on the legs doesn’t bother me….it’s a normal kid thing to do, but all the paps lined up to get a pic of this little girl (who obviously doesn’t like it)…..THAT bothers me.

41. Lioness

I guess none of you people who are calling Suri and her family “sick” have tattoos? Because isn’t that the adult equivalent of drawing on yourself? At least Suri used a marker- a tattoo is done with a needle, and it doesn’t wash off. Hypocrites, all of you. Drawing on yourself is normal child behavior, whether or not you or your own child has done it…. get over yourselves, people. It simply amazes me how people find anything they can use to sh!t on this family, whether it’s rational or not. A kid drawing on herself actually bothers you? New low, folks…

42. NG

Wow some of you people on here are freaking crazy! Does anyone remember what it was like to be a little kid? I do! I like to get into things and draw on myself even though my mom told me no to. Hell, one time I broke into her nail polishes and painted both of my hands, to make sure I got my nail nice and covered, and ruined my mom’s desk. Kids do these things and I think it shows how normal Suri actually is. Seriously you people need to take a ride down to your local walmart or target. You look and see how parents let their kids dress. I’ve seen a little boy in a spiderman costume in the middle of a heat wave. I’ve seen a little girl in those awful plastic princess high heals they make for little girls. I have even see little kids covered in marker. Just because Tom and Katie have money and buy their daughter play shoes that wont kill her feet like plastic ones and they can buy here really nice costumes doens’t make them bad parents. They are giving Suri the life that they can afford to give. If any of you had that kind of money wouldn’t you give your child a similar life? Kids are kids. Get off Suri. It’s not nice to judge a 4 year-old.

43. Prestonscutiepie

She was with her mom all day at a photo shoot maybe she was bored and drew on herself.I can remember doing that as a teenager.Kids can get into stuff pretty quickly,my friends daughter put bingo marker all over the wall,or sometimes they’ll put make-up all over themselves.I feel sorry for Suri,she looks scared to death!Tom was on Oprah a few weeks ago & said she doesn’t mind the paparazzi,are you kidding me?If they wanted to shield her from this they could.

44. REEIN

Ok, the weird thing here is, Why she didn´t clean up the marker before go out?.

• Lioness

How do you know she didn’t draw all over herself in the car? Maybe she did it while she was with the nanny or at a friend’s house, and Katie picked her up that way. Who knows? I just don’t see the big deal, it’s marker, and it comes off…

45. NG

I guess there is another NG on this board. I don’t like these markings on Suri. Yes, some kids write on themselves, on walls, expensive items but not like this. Clearly Suri was left unwatched for a long period while Katie was at some photo shoot. I really believe that regardless of their income, sometimes they struggle for child care especially since they literally just returned from Europe.

Younger Suri did not mind the photos, and Tom does not acknowledge that as children grow they enter another stage, Suri is probably going through a shy stage. Also Suri may have been told that Mommy did not like what she did and her feelings are hurt! just saying………….

I’m fourteen and I still draw on myself frequently (usually when I’m really bored in class) with markers :-)

48. Jennie

LOL seriously, people are so quick to find fault with this little girl and her family that its just plain sad. Oh no! She drew on herself! Child services must be called on the bad, rich mommy and daddy! For crying out loud people, get a grip! As it was said above, we have parents that are beating their children and worse but yet because rich and famous parents are letting their kids draw on themselves…child services must take a break from getting involved in those types of cases to come rescue poor Suri? Lets use some common sense people lol

Please…..my 3-year old draws all over herself every chance she gets. Suri is a normal kid!

• AnnieMouse

I bet you have one of the most well-adjusted creative kids for it too!! Way to go Mama for letting your little one be just that…a LITTLE KID!! My son is only 5mos old, but believe me, I’m totally expecting to see marker “tattoos” in the future! These people just need to let kids be kids!

50. hooher tod

Yes there should realize the reader to RSS my feed to RSS commentary, quite simply