Bethenny Frankel: “I Never Had A True Childhood”

Bethenny Frankel: “I Never Had A True Childhood”

Real Housewives star Bethenny Frankel is soaking up the joys of motherhood with 8-week-old baby Bryn at home, but along with her current elation comes the reminder of her own less happy upbringing.

“I never had a true childhood,” she tells PEOPLE. “There was a lot of destruction: alcohol abuse, eating disorders and violent fights.”

Bethenny, the daughter of horse trainer Bobby Frankel and his first wife Bernadette, describes her mom as “extremely volatile”.

“She was never a mother to me,” adds the 39-year-old reality star.

Bethenny says she is now grateful for the chance to bring her own daughter up in a stable home with husband Jason Hoppy: “I live for this baby.”

In a recent interview, she opened up to Celebrity Baby Scoop about how things have changed since marrying Jason: “I do feel different now that I’m married. I just feel so comfortable. There no ‘what ifs’, and ‘should we’ and ‘what do we do’? I’m just so happy and I know we’re in the right spot.”

The couple were married earlier this year on March 28. Their wedding is detailed in the new series Bethenny Getting Married? which debuted June 10 on Bravo.

Filed under: Bethenny Frankel

Photo credit: coverawards.com

Love her and obviously most people do or she wouldn’t get on covers…

cute baby!

3. LaKesha

Some things Bethenny does make me wince…she is flawed…but aren’t we all. No one can ever say she’s fake or pretentious. She is simply Bethenny, you’ll love or you’ll hate her.

4. Janna

Why does anyone feel the need to give answers like that about their parents to a tabloid magazine? Who is it helping?

Why not just say “I prefer not to talk about my mother”.

Most of the time admitting things like this publicly does help. Amount of publicity is relative with amount of fame. Saying aloud helps with coming to terms, it helps others who have faced similar things and it even helps with dealing with problems like this generally. You really can’t fix things that you don’t even admit.

5. Erica Ann

Love Bethenny Frankel, I am a huge fan of hers. Bryn is adorable and looks angelic on the cover of People. Can’t wait to get this issue!!

6. karen

i like bethenny, i’m sure she’s going to be a great mom.

Some of us have had really bad things that have happend to us by our parents and other people, but until you leran to forgive you will never have closer and be able to really move on with your life, yes we can see that she is still hurting, but at the end of the day that lady is still her mother!!! it is up to her to forgive and now move on and be the best mother she can be.

8. AnnieMouse

I love Bethenny! I think her discontent for her own childhood will make her work even harder to provide a great one for her little nugget. I think she knows what happened in her childhood and nobody can tell her that she need to get closer by forgiving and moving on…maybe she can’t or just plain doesn’t want to. Who are we to judge? We didn’t walk in her shoes.