Willow Smith’s Stylist Shares Fashion Secrets

Willow Smith's Stylist Shares Fashion Secrets

Jaden Smith has been on one red carpet after another in recent weeks promoting his new film The Karate Kid. Not to be outdone by her big brother, aspiring singer Willow, 9, was spotted on a photo shoot of her own in Paris, France yesterday (July 25). The trendsetting tot showed off her usual funky fashion sense – not surprising since it turns out she has her very own stylist!

Willow’s stylist Mariel Haenn recently dished on her young client’s look, saying, “Willow is definitely inspired by Rihanna’s style…. Willow really knows what she likes and what she doesn’t like, and she’s vocal about it.”

She adds that mom Jada Pinkett-Smith has a say in both of her kids’ clothing choices: “Jada said upfront that she didn’t want us to dress them like standard kids, like with Sesame Street T-shirts. And the kids really like dressing as adults and hope that adults will want to dress like them. But Jada will put her foot down if there’s something she doesn’t like, though if the kids really love it, she’ll usually let it pass.”

It turns out fashion is more than just a hobby for the Smith kids.

“I think the ultimate goal is for Willow and Jaden to have their own line,” Mariel reveals.

What do you think of Jaden & Willow having their own stylist?

Filed under: Jaden Smith,Willow Smith

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

Wow. I don’t even know what to say. “Ridiculous” and “ludicrous” come to mind…

And as for Jada, STFU already. God forbid your kids be “standard” or, you know, KIDS. The ego on this woman is unbelievable. It’s off-putting, and I really feel bad for those two little kids…because she’s going to ruin them.

Oh Wow….let me get in a decent comment b4 all the HATERS start commenting. They have the money, if that’s what they choose so be it. Sometimes I like their outfits and sometimes I don’t…just like Everyone else.

I gagged at the headline alone…read the article hoping that “mom” was the “stylist” … no such luck.

4. Tazina

These are show business kids and they were born to wealth. Having a line or a stylist is no big deal for them. They are ambitious and they will do just fine.

5. ivy2

i think she should let them be kids instead of pimping them out. maybe let them smile for pictures too instead of having to look cool and stuck-up.

6. Peta

Is a 9 year old still considered a ‘tot’? Especially a 9 year old who’s going on 16?

7. Ainslee

So they have their own stylist. Who cares? It’s their deal. They seem happy with their lives. It’s not like they were born into a regular family. They don’t need to conform to that kind of lifestyle. They live in a different world of wealth and privilege and no point in being jealous of them.

8. Cameron

Now I want to kiss Tom Cruz on the lips (eww) for allowing Suri to choose her own clothes. At least she’ll have a chance at developing her own style! There is no reason a nine year old needs a freaking stylist! And before somebody accuses me of being jealous, hate to dissapoint you but I actually feel sorry for these kids. Life is short and we spend so little of it in childhood, these kids are not being allowed to just be kids! I remember the milestones of my childhood…my first pantyhose, my first high heels, I’m just wondering what these children will have to look forward to in life. I see the E True Hollywood Story in their future.

• abby

believe it or not some girls have other things to look forward to in life besides buying their first pair of pantyhose.

• Cameron

Oh please…I was talking about myself and how happy I was to reach these little milestones in my life. Of course I had parents who wanted me to have a childhood and I’m thankful for that. I certainly looked forward to much more than those pantyhose. My whole point was, these kids are doing so much at such a young age, what will they have to look forward to? These kids will be so burned out by the time they’re 21, what will be left for them to do? I don’t think it’s wrong for Willow to want to be a singer or to one day have a clothing line. Why does all have to be done RIGHT NOW!? How about just being a nine year old? Kids who aren’t allowed to have a childhood end up trying to recapture that time for the rest of their lives. Just look at Michael Jackson. And FYI, I like these kids. I think they are adorable and very talented. I just think their parents should slow down a bit.

9. em g

I predict that this child is going to grow up into a monster that will make Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears look tame by comparison. A stylist for a 9 year old; scheesch…and to think I used to think that Will Smith had his head screwed on right…

Oh, people, relax. Why do people enjoy bashing this family so much??? I have my theories…

I think they are a beautiful and expressive family, and it looks like they are having fun. Thank you, CBS, for posting news of them, and please keep it coming!!

“The trendsetting tot” Not a tot, and hasn’t set any trends that I’m aware of…

their just now born into wealth their movie stars so how is that bad? i could understand if they werent in movies but they are so i dont see the problem

13. silverjewelry

They are absoultly talent kids who will have a hit in the future. Being kid stars, they completely presents indenpent ideas towards what to do, what jewelry to wear, what outfit to ware… All they do matches “It turns out fashion is more than just a hobby for the Smith kids”.
    Yeah, they are Smith kids ,not ordinary kids!

It is probably the same troll writing the same negative comments over and over again. Contain the webmaster and ask them to check IP address

Willow just needs to smile a bit more. That “model” face just doesn’t do a 9 year old any favors. Look at the joy other celeb kids faces..they’re just kids.

• Lioness

She’s doing a photo shoot, Anonymous, and probably following photographer directions. Any other pictures you see of this family- particularly on the red carpet- usually has Willow grinning from ear-to-ear. It’s Jaden who usually has the model face on.

Mary Kate and Ashely Orson had a line at 9, Miley Cyrus had on at 11, Raven Samone had one at 13. There are countless kids in show business thousands of kids. Why are they any worse then all the other. Why are the other parents not pimping out there kids. At least will and Jada have their own money and you know that what the kids make are for them. When white people act that way they are confident and when black people act that way they are cocky. You guys can say it not about race all you want but if those kids were white,they would be cute, and smart , not annoying and and ugly.

• cece

I agree with you 100%. You forgot Hilary Duff.

I believe the stylist is a family friend who also makes clothes for Jada.
      The Smiths are into getting upstarts and new designers a break. Will and Jada are both very out going people. Their kids are probably the same. Will would never push is kids into doing something they are not comfortable with. His oldest son Trey doesn’t like the spotlight and Will respects his wishes. He spends more private time with him.

Mary-Kate Olsen, Miley Cyrus are you actually giving these as examples of well adjusted adults who had stylists as youngsters lol

17. Lola P

OMG you all need to just STFU… If you all had the money, you’d get your kids stylists as well… Who cares? I love this family… The kids are well raised and well behaved and they have their own unique styles… Willow is a beautiful girl, who like ALL girls her age, wants to create their own style rather than follow the norm… And before you all start talking crap, remember how you would feel if someone was talking about your own daughter in this manner…

Angelina Jolie has money and her kids don’t have stylists. Jennifer Gardner has money and her kids don’t have stylists. Not even Suri Cruise has a stylist. So, no, not everyone would do this if they had money. Some of us feel there are more important things in life than how you look.

18. Jettgurrl

I guess I am the only one who thinks the stylist should be fired because Willow looks a hot mess!

That child looks like she gets dressed in the dark. Utterly ridiculous! Why do they think they are too good to be dressed like average kids? What an arrogant and conceited attitude. They should hire a stylist who will teach her how to dress appropiately and with class. Don’t even get me started on the hair! Lordy, those ears……..

20. Francesca

This is the most contradictory/confusing statement I’ve ever seen in an interview: HUH?!

That child dresses in such a ridiculous style. Teach her to be humble and modest and to dress in a classy appropriate style. While you’re at it, get a decent hairstyle.

• Lioness

“Classy and appropriate” is subjective, Anonymous, and usually means conforming to someone ELSE’S standard of fashion (yours, in this case)… which I’ll never advocate. Nothing wrong with showing a little individuality. I think Willow dresses very appropriately for her age, I have never seen her in anything too suggestive or above her. And there is nothing with her hairstyle- why are mothers so afraid of a little shaving on their daughters? It’s just hair, and if she wants it longer, it’ll grow back.

jada’s kids are well ~down to earth~ lol ‘ aww man… I feel for the kids, the woman is nuts few more years and i don’t know how are they going to cope with the real world.

Jada’s kids are so ~down to earth~ lol awww man! few more years and i don’t know how are going to cope with the real world. Jada is crazy.

24. cece

You people have got to realize that Willow is 9 years old. She wants to dress like Rihanna and Ciara. I think Jada will only let her go so far. There are no bootie shorts and cleavage showing. The hair will grow back. Kids today have different idols then we did growing up. Look at Lady Gaga? She looks like David Bowie and Elton John back in the 70′s and 80′s. Who are we to judge.
    I personally wouldn’t wear her style of clothing. Willow is all covered up and is dressed age appropriate. That is the only thing that matters. Any parent could choose something Willow wears and not have a problem with it (not distasteful) ….Besides from her clothes being a bit ugly, Willow dresses with her imagination. She isn’t harming anyone.

25. cece

I think I’d sack the stylist if my 9yr old dressed like Willow does.

27. Lioness

I think it’s great that they encourage individuality with their kids… and since they have the money to hire someone to help their kids express their sense of fashion, then I say more power to them. Besides, I think this family is trying to build their kids’ careers (which both kids have expressed a major interest in doing), and the kids have to be trendsetters in order to be successful. So it MAKES SENSE that they hire stylists to help. These are celebrities for goodness’ sake, and it’s their job to create waves. Why are all you people expecting them to shop at Gap Kids and Walmart and Macy’s, and dress their kids like yours? The only reason you all are even on here is to get a glimpse into celebrity family life, and then you complain when it isn’t like yours!

28. antigoniem

“Jada said upfront that she didn’t want us to dress them like standard kids, like with Sesame Street T-shirts. And the kids really like dressing as adults and hope that adults will want to dress like them. But Jada will put her foot down if there’s something she doesn’t like, though if the kids really love it, she’ll usually let it pass.” I know this is an extreme example, but wasn’t this the case with Michel Jackson and Joe Jackson. She’s gonna push them too far one day.

I think it’s telling about how out of touch Jada is with real kids/ (parents who dress their kids) when she purports that they all dress in Sesame Street tshirts. Yeah, they don’t. Way to insult the rest of American kids and their parents in your effort to defend your own position of ‘let my kids have STYLE and INDIVIDUALITY…’ For that flub and insult alone, I’m not giving your position any credence Ms. Smith. Good job with that.

Sorry, I’m not buying this from the Smith camp. Kids can be from Hollywood. They can even have some style. But these young children are so contrived and affected with the effort they put into their ‘look’ it should be ringing alarm bells for the parents. But it’s clearly not since the parents are there every of the way encouraging such pimping. Children these ages should be filling their brains with all kinds of information and ideas. But instead, not only are they working in Hollywood as actors (no brain pimping there – just image pimping), they’re spending all of their time ‘working with a stylist’ to show everybody how much STYLE and INDIVIDUALITY they possess. Ok. That’s fine, but it reveals to me how one sided these children and their parents are, and how much weight they give to ‘exteriors’ (‘fluff’) and not to ‘interiors’ (the quality stuff). Way to contribute. AND PLEASE – to whomever is playing victim by saying any dissenting comments are coming from a racist angle…You’ve clearly already revealed your racist angle by suggesting such. Get another ‘thing’ to play victim with.

But whatever. I sort of like seeing all of this stuff from the Smiths b/c every time I see it I’m more and more convinced that they don’t get it even though they think they do – and that’s what’s amusing to me.

One more time everybody – STYLE AND INDIVIDUALITY!!!! ha.

30. abby

what’s wrong with sesame street t-shirts? :(

31. abby

i’m only going to reply to part of your post since i don’t have time read all of it. jada never said all children dress in sesame street t shirts, she didn’t even say anything it was the stylist talking. how is it insulting to say that some kids wear sesame street shirts? how is that offensive? i mean, i know elmo can be a little annoying, but…

32. Carey

The hair and the clothes are really ugly. Well it doesn’t matter how do you look at 9 years old when you’re famous and millionaire, you don’t go to school and do not live the life of an average child so…
    We have to think about the best thing that comes with so much money…The drugs, these kids will buy only the best. Drew Barrymore was a druggie at 11 years old.

This family is so obnoxious! The stylist should be fired because they all look terrible!

34. Jenaba

i definitely think they should have their own line!!! i love their style…its fresh and new….not the same old boring bougi thing that all the other kids do…they have creative minds and thats goin to help them in the future….

love everything about the smiths…

Woah people chill out, yeah it seems extreme for mere average civilians like us, but in their world, out in Hollywood, its nothing out of the ordinary. Good or bad, the clothes are cool and who cares if her mom doesn’t dress her. A lot of these celebrity moms don’t because they don’t have the time. Honestly, a lot of the people complaining wouldn’t do anything different. Although some things I feel uncomfortable about, like the shaving of the hair, but hey what are you gonna do, its Hollywood.