Gisele Bündchen Wants A Breastfeeding Law

Gisele Bündchen Wants A Breastfeeding Law

Model mom Gisele Bündchen strikes a sultry pose on the cover of the September issue of Harper’s Bazaar. When talk turns to motherhood, Gisele is quick to tout the benefits of breastfeeding, going so far as to call for a “worldwide law” requiring all moms to nurse their new babies.

“I think breastfeeding really helped (me keep me figure),” says the Brazilian beauty, whose son Benjamin is 7 months. “Some people here (in the US) think they don’t have to breastfeed, and I think ‘Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?’ I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months.”

Gisele, who previously shared that her natural childbirth “didn’t hurt in the slightest,” also explains how she prepared for labor and delivery by meditating.

“It prepared me mentally and physically. It’s called ‘labour’ not ‘holiday’ for a reason, and I knew that. You want to go into the most intense physical experience of your life unprepared? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Then I was ready and I thought OK, let’s get to work’. I wasn’t expecting someone else to get the baby out of me.”

What do you think of Gisele advocating for a breastfeeding law?

Filed under: Gisele Bundchen

1. klutzy_girl

Not everyone can breastfeed, though. That doesn’t really work.

I assume she means that general population of women. I also don’t think she meant there should literally be an actual law about this- its just a way of expressing how strongly she feels women should breast feed their newborns.

I completely agree! My son couldn’t breastfeed so I had to pump and that only lasted a couple of months, and then I got scolded on when people would see my give formula to my own child. If you can’t brestfeed you should be punished, some people don’t have that choice.

After reading this about Gisele, I felt the need to comment, because while she is certainly entitled to her opinion, she should refrain from saying this is what EVERYONE should do, let alone having a “law” for it.
      What about a law, Gisele, requiring paid maternity leave for every women for 6 months? She leads an incredibly privileged life and I know many women who had to return to work 6 to 8 weeks, and certainly 12 weeks like myself after giving birth, which makes maintaining breastfeeding while pumping very difficult.
      oh yeah, and what about a law requiring insurance to pay for a pump for all working mothers?
      Her comment also hit home because before I had my son, now 2, I thought as she did, that of course you need to nurse for the prescribed year.
      I had a breast reduction 12 years ago at age 21 which made nursing my son almost impossible, and heart wrenching for me. I was so determined to give my son breastmilk that I ended up pumping five times a day for 7 months, but at the cost of some of my sanity.
      There are so many reasons that a women cannot breastfeed for 6 months or at all (I personally have never heard it was because they didn’t like) and this does not make her a bad mother. There are plenty who feel horrendous guilt about this, and she should be a little more humble about what she says. Because as every experienced mother knows, being a parent is very humbling and you never know what is going to happen. You can only do the best you can.
      Oh and by the way, I gave birth completely drug-free and it hurt like HELL. And believe me, I was prepared.
      Hope you have a piece of humble pie Gisele

• Cindy

Beautifully said. All important points and things I doubt Giselle has given a second thought about. Personally I don’t believe most things out of her mouth—I quickly grew tired of her condescention toward mothers who do something different that she did. You had a child, Giselle. Maybe your experience was better than most. Get over yourself.

2. Marina

the more I read about Gisele, the less I like her !
    anyway I think Breastfeeding should stay forever a choice !
    In the US, everyone is about how good breastfeeding is for babies.
    What about moms ? Do you think it’s good for a mom to go breastfed her baby in the bathroom because “that’s something you don’t do in public ” ???
    That’s ridiculous. That’s just mean that once her baby is born, a mother can only go out when the baby isn’t hungry… great !
    When you’re breastfeeding, you cannot control how much your baby eat.
    Formula, in our days, are really good for babies because they have almost everything in it and you know what’s in it. how can you now if your milk has enough iron in it ? or enough vitamins ?
    in my opinion, the law idea is just stupid

• Anna

Women are allowed to breast feed anywhere, they don’t need to go to a bathroom to do it.

I do agree there shouldn’t be a law to make women breastfeed but it’s kind of crazy a law is needed! So many women are uneducated on this subject and often have the stupidest reasons why they don’t.

I’m not uneducated. I tried breastfeeding and didn’t like it. My kids are smart and healthy. My sister tried breastfeeding and liked it. Her kids are smart and healthy. Women like you who think you can educate women are the dumb ones. Women make choices that make us happy. What you fascists are saying is that our reasons are not acceptable to you so we need to be guilted or forced into make correct choices – choices YOU approve of. Stay away from my boobs and what I do with them, you nazi!

Geez, chill. Like I said above, if you’re happy with your choices why do you feel the need to defend yourself?
          If that’s what you chose to do, that’s fine, but I do think its a bit ridiculous to not provide your child with the vital things that come from breast milk because you didn’t “like it”. Not everything is suppose to be enjoyable-some suffering is necessary.

I think the problem is that you are assuming that the vast majority of women who don’t breast feed do it because they “don’t like it”. I completely reject that assumption. Many, many women try to do it, but either for physical reasons on their part or physical reasons on the baby’s part, it is not successful. It is a heart-wrenching devasting thing for those who try and can’t. I resent whole-heartedly your characterization that those who don’t are unable to handle some “suffering”. Really. How presumptious and superior of you.

• Giselle rocks

You may not be “uneducated” but you’re a nutcase. Chill out!

Amen sister. Well said

totally agree that there shouldn’t be a law but am disappointed that so many women go uneducated about the benefits of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is natural and should be strongly encouraged to mothers. The obesity rates among new mothers and kids would be greatly reduced if breastfeeding was considered ‘normal’ in America

• french

I completly disagree with the “obesity theory”. In France, half of the babies are not breastfed, and we have like 90 % less obesity.
          I would alsmot think the contrary : In America, Women breastfed their babies for to long ! The milk is so rich in everything that the baby get too much of it ( soooo easy to breastfed evreytime the baby is criing, because you have no choice : you don’t know if he drank enough the last time )
          So I would never say that breastfedding is bad, but in France, we are not doing it more than 3 or 4 month, and the results are here I guess ;)

wtf about “eating too much” or ‘ too little’ if breastfeeding? geez, mother’s milk and the sucking process allows baby to eat as much as he/she needs, not less (maybe you have heard of ‘milk crisis’ during breastfeeding and about milk getting ‘thinner’ or with less fat while in later stages of breastfeeding?) and not more. It is synthetic formulas which need to be used strictly by prescribed ‘right’ amounts and doses for keeping baby fit. and it is connected with obesity, as sucking process calms baby down, but when bottle-feeded baby doesn’t get satisfactory amount of sucking therefore he/she sometimes cries and a mother feeds the baby more or sooner then ‘prescribed’, or gives a pacifier. how wonderful is to let your kid suck on a piece of rubber to calm him/herself down..

and a little bit offtopic – it requires at least a month for mother and a child to grow accustomed toeach other and if baby has a sucking-reflex it doesnt mean that the baby can feed properly and mother knows how to feed the particular child. so usually it is not about ‘liking’ it but about learning to do it while doing it which is a devastating process (but worth it)

p.s. and offtopic againm- i love you, americans, for a ‘baby to go on potty before 2 years” is something nazi? c’mon, it is laziness to keep baby in the diapers when baby can already walk and feel what’s ‘going on’ between their legs. guess babies in diapers and strollers after 3 yrs are a trade mark of americans…

It should be a choice? We have been given breasts so that we can feed our newborns! It seems everyone has forgotten that that’s their whole purpose!
      Also, I think the whole “breast-feeding in public” excuse is just ridiculous to use in the US. Every single public bathroom has accommodations for new mothers who want to breast-feed.
      Where I come from, there are no such accommodations and yet all women find a way to feed their babies- I hadn’t even heard of baby formula until I came to the US! Its ridiculous!

• Michaela

“Every single public bathroom has accommodations for new mothers who want to breast-feed”
        Really? I’m almost positive that I’ve never been in a public bathroom that comes with these “accommodations.”

• Cindy

And women have also been given ovaries and a uterus to have children. Does this mean they are required to have children? For the record, I breastfed. It irritates me to no end, however, that so many breastfeeding mothers are on this self-righteous kick berating mothers who don’t, either because they choose not to or they aren’t able to.

While I agree a law is a bit extreme, you are obviously ill informed. Breastmilk is the perfect food for your child. You know its healthy because your child grows and looks healthy. If you feed your child everytime it cries hungrily, and he or she is thriving you know your milk has enough of everything. Rarely will your breast milk not have everything it needs. The breast milk will take what it needs from your body. You will suffer before your baby does from “bad” milk. When you are pregnant your baby takes from you, and your body will suffer before the baby does. If you made the choice not to breastfeed then don’t make excuses that formula is better.

Maybe it is just me…but something about this woman just rubs me the wrong way. She always seems arrogant and annoying.

agreed

Its probably that fact that she says things people don’t like to hear because of how insecure they are with themselves.
      I love and respect Gisele for speaking her mind and not sugar-coating everything.

No, that’s not it.

It’s because Gisele acts like she knows better than everyone else and tries to tell us how we should live our lives.

Gisele doesn’t know better. She’s not a doctor nor a scientist nor does she have any unique insight on breastfeeding. She is rather simpleminded and increasingly insufferable.

If she wants to breast feed, fine. But Gisele has no business saying there should be a law against woman who don’t. That shows how uneducated, unsympathetic and arrogant she is.

It’s just another stupid statement action from her in a long list of stupid statements – like telling everyone how they should conserve energy while she builds the grotesquely big mansion in California.

She is sharing her opinion on something she feels strongly about and she has every right to do so. Its not her fault women in this country are so freaking insecure.
          She’s not claiming to know everything, but she has done her research. She’s expressing what she thinks is best based on that research and her own experiences. If you don’t agree, you can do things your own way. Gisele isn’t forcing anyone to do anything. And if you don’t think much of her, why do her comments affect you so much?

That mansion story was extremely exaggerated- Gisele, Tom and Gisele’s sister all have tried to clear that up.
          Its being built out of recycled materials and it will run on solar power. Its also not nearly as big as was reported, and it does not have an elevator or 6-car garage.
          Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

I completely agree!!!

• Cindy

Yep…she’s had one kid and now she’s an expert. Get over yourself, Gisele. I hope every pregnancy goes as well as this one has for you, but I wouldn’t expect it. Every pregnancy and every woman giving birth is different. I wish she’d shut her trap. And I did breastfeed, haters, so back off. I’m sick of that argument that when a woman defends her position after being ATTACKED that she must be “insecure.” Phooey. I just think everyone gets to make that decision for herself without being berated.

4. CMC

Is she an idiot?
    I really dislike her. She’s gorgeous but not much going on upstairs.

5. Courtney

Gisele Should keep her trap shut. not all moms can or want to breastfeed so a law like that would penalize moms that don’t/can’t for any reason. some mothers that want to can’t cause their child has certain birth injuries that make it hard form them to latch on and feed. G is acting like she’s the first celeb mom that’s ever breastfed she’s not huge stars have done it for decades and with multiple children and have after the children grew up come out and said because they breastfed them and their children are closer. Ms Bundchen needs a reality check and fast.

6. musiclover@yahoo.com

I gave her the benefit of the doubt in her previous interviews, but now I just have to say that she comes off with a “holier than thou” attitude that just rubs me the wrong way.

I think that this girl should just shut her mouth, stay out of politics and keep to what she does best – taking pretty pictures. Seems she is trying to make everyone think how perfect she is but I am sure that is not the case.

How ridiculous! I breastfed my son for over a year, but I would NEVER expect someone else to do the same if it did not feel right for them. Everyone has a different situation.

She has become so annoying with all of her interviews about doing yoga during pregnancy, not eating garbage, blah blah blah. Not all of us have personal chefs, bottomless pockets and a flexible schedule to allow us all of the same luxuries that she has access to. Shut up already Gisele!

• Carrie

I agree 100%. I’m still nursing my 7 month old and I hear different opinions all the time. It’s none of my business if or how long a mother wants to breastfeed. Nor Giselles.

And how about all of the mothers who cannot breastfeed at all? What a way to make them feel like a complete failure.

9. Marilyn

She always acts like she knows better than everyone else. Not all women can breastfeed and some don’t even want to, they prefer using a bottle and you can’t force someone to do it, either. The more she talks, the less intelligent she sounds.

10. letitbe

She really needs to think before she speaks. I have 3 kids and I couldn’t breast feed. I was so sad and just crying because I really tried to breastfeed her, but couldn’t :( So, making it a law would really throw a mom under the bus!

I did NOT breastfeed because I did NOT want to! End of story!

Good for you!!! My body = my choice!

I HATE when women say this because its not about YOU. As a mother, you are responsible for your child. If you don’t like breast-feeding, too bad, but that doesn’t change the fact that your child needs that milk. Its not about your choice- you have been given breasts so your newborn can get milk from them. In other words, that is what you are supposed to do! If you physically can’t, its understandable, but otherwise, you have to realize that its something you must do for the benefit of your child.
        I can’t believe that some mothers aren’t willing to suffer the tiniest bit for their child. Its really sad.

Huh? Incoherent post.

Who says that any women (American or otherwise) are not willing “to suffer the tiniest bit for their child.”

It sounds to me like you have been spoon-fed far too many stereotypes of American women. Just to be clear, I am not proud of all aspects of my country and my culture, but I think that when you simplify and misrepresent things, you are doing more harm than good.

What’s sad is the amount of judgement women have to endure FROM EACH OTHER in terms of child rearing.
          And yes, it should be about the mother too. She had and will have life after the baby. There’s no need for martyrdom in the name of motherhood.

• Hanh

I have breastfed and formula fed, and honestly, I really don’t see a difference int the children. I think this whole argument is ridiculous. Breastfed or formula fed, as long as the baby is fed and healthy who cares how they got there? Don’t quote a billion articles on pro-breastfeeding. I have been there already and from experience, I do not see a difference.

breastfeeding pro -> the special time with your child
          formula feeding pro-> others can feed them and allow flexibility

ever heard from live and let live……you people judge so easily….i am a chemical kid and soare my kids….i have a ph.d, a great job and i am healthy….my kids are smart and healthy….unless you live deep in the woods, gorw your own veggies/fruits and kill the animals you wat.. i am sorry but trust me your child has been exposed to way more dangerous stuff than formula……bottom line is why don’t you try to respect others’ opinion and choices. i did not breast feed because i did not want to, maye i could have i will never know, but my choice belongs to me and no one else. i totally agree that my breast was built for that, but does that mean that a woman who choose to not have kids should have it rmoved because she will never use it…….come on people think a little before making stpid judgement.

• Aliana

I think that’s perfectly fine. My sister was breastfed and I wasn’t. There’s really no big difference between us, we’re both fine. I’m pretty sure I won’t be breastfeeding my kids.

She is the most arrogant, annoying POS.

I LOVE this woman! She’s a straight shooter- always speaks her mind! Unfortunately, most women totally miss the point of what she’s saying and get quickly offended instead.
    I couldn’t agree with her more. Its so sad that so many women today choose to use formula just because breast-feeding is difficult or inconvenient at first. News flash: Women have breasts so that they can feed their newborns- that’s why they’re there! Use them for what their purpose is.

I’m glad that Gisele is strong enough to continue speaking her mind on these important (and often overlooked issues) despite the fact that women hate her for it. She’s doesn’t care about being politically correct or being liked by everyone; she cares about making a difference- even if that means she has to say things people will hate her for because that’s what you have to do sometimes.

and why should women take the advice of a panty model? As far as I know, she dropped out of school, and her lack of education mirrors in her interviews. yup, for a panty model, she is really putting her breasts into good use. Newsflash: Not all women can breastfeed or due to circumstances, babies are not able to get milk from their mother’s breasts.

Oh wow, how mature- judging a woman on her profession in which she posed in underwear. I’m sure there is more to people than their careers. Its very shallow to think that way.
        She’s didn’t drop out of school voluntarily. You know what her actual story is?
        She comes from a very big family (she has 5 sisters) and grew up in a very small town in southern Brazil. She was approached by someone from a modeling agency during a school trip to the mall. She then decided to pursue modeling so that she could become independent and help out her family. She had to move to NY by herself at a very young age. She didn’t know the area or the language and she lived with a few other girls in a cramped apartment. At the time, people in the fashion industry told her she could never become a model because she didn’t fit the prototype. They even told her to get a breast reduction and nose job! However, some photographers and designers wanted to use her because she was so refreshing and they loved working with her because of her vibrant personality.
        I know that modeling underwear probably isn’t the most respected profession in some people’s eyes, but it takes brains to become the #1 at something thousands of girls are after.

I really do respect her because everything wasn’t handed to her on a silver platter. She went through a lot and worked very hard to get where she is today. And she’s always been responsible- I’ve never seen her out partying until 3 am. She’s also done a lot of charity work and used her popularity to bring attention to important issues like the environment.

FYI, when she was in school she was an A-student. And just because you don’t finish school doesn’t mean you’re an idiot. You can still read and learn on your own without having to pay for it.

(Once again, she was talking about the majority of women. Obviously, if you physically can’t breast feed you’re doing nothing wrong. If you can’t, you can’t- nobody’s trying to make those women feel badly about themselves)

• Marilyn

Not everyone wants to breastfeed, get it?

Um, NEWS FLASH — just because you are a woman and you have breasts doesn’t mean that you are biologically capable of producing milk. It’s sad, but some women have their hearts set on nursing, but find that their bodies do not produce enough milk. I have seen at least two close friends heart-broken over the fact that they weren’t able to nurse their newborns.

You need to become more educated before you start being so judgmental and arrogant. The world is not so simple, and I don’t know how you came to the conclusion that every woman who relies on formula is doing so because they “just don’t feel like breastfeeding.” I do recognize that learning about people’s experiences will be difficult and/or inconvenient for you at first, but it will help you avoid posting ignorant comments like this for the public to read. (Lucky for you, it’s anonymous.)

And, for the record, I breastfed my son for 26 months. Breastfeeding is great, but not all women are blessed with the ability to do so. Ironically, it’s you who has completely missed the point!!

Its completely understandable if a woman is unable. Gisele (and I) are talking about the majority of women. You can’t always say “except for the so and so group”- its suppose to be understood who she’s talking about.

14. Shirilicious

To think I once liked her!
    She has become one of the most smug, insufferable, unsympathetic air-heads out there. I have to restrain myself to read any more interviews with here, no good will come out of it.

Wow, not I know why Bridget Moynahan might have taken a subtle jab at this woman because she is an idiot…I never liked he and never will. I will never understand the fascination/obsession with her. Sure she’s got a nice bod but other than that, her personality is a turn-off. She’s one of those, like J. alba, that pushes their ideas into other people. I too wished that I was able to breastfed my son but he was born 5 weeks premature and was in NICU for a week. He was not able to latch on and I was pumping and after awhile, was not producing enough until I gave up. Yes I GAVE UP because with me feeding him and then putting him to sleep and pumping, and everything else, I was WRECK. That doesn’t mean I was or not a good mom. This woman is so pretentious and yes I agree that she should not give false impressions that motherhood is easy. I don’t have a nanny, chef, personal assitant, driver, personal trainer that she probably does. GAwd, I can’t stand her

Wow…I just realized how cushioned American women are.
    Where I come from, there is no such thing as baby formula. All mothers breast feed their babies, and that too while they take care of everything in the house, take care of the whole (huge) family, entertain a constant flow of guests and do so in small houses with little, if any, accommodations for new moms. And you know what? I’ve never heard any of them bitch of whine about it-ever.
    In America, women have it sooo much better and yet they won’t just do the natural thing and breast-feed. They’ll whine about how difficult it is, how it hurts and how its inconvenient. Its absolutely ridiculous! Women elsewhere have it so much worse and are so much stronger.
    Its sad, really.

clearly you don’t understand the concept of a”working mom”!

Um, “Anonymous” — this is clearly your 3rd or 4th post in this thread, starting at about 12:29 pm. Your writing is easy to identify by the misspelling of “its,” over-and-over. Do people value the ability to communicate clearly, where you come from?

Not all women, American or otherwise, are physically capable of breast-feeding, and likewise for babies. Where you come from, in a utopian village where there is “no such thing as baby formula,” do these babies starve to death or simply suckle from some other selfless woman in the village who happens to be lactating?

Please, educate us, oh strong one.

Don’t sell me on how great third world countries have it. Yes, we have it so much easier here because we have choice. I’m sorry that you hate American women so much and resent how easy we have it, but I’ve traveled and I know that women in crapholes around the world aren’t living the dream and gushing about how much they love poverty. Oh, but they breastfeed so they’re so much more enlightened. Most women in those countries breastfeed because they have NO choice. Talk to me about what choice they make when formula is readily available and cheap for them like it is here. Then I’ll be impressed by your sense of superiority.

I couldn’t agree with Gisele more. Giving your child artificial baby formula when you could be giving them the natural milk your breasts have been made to produce is disgusting. Its one thing is you are unable, but choosing formula for convenience’s sake is sickening.

18. bottlefeeder

this is the second gisele interview i’ve read in which she touts the ideal birth plan/feeding scenario as an umbrella plan for all women. she may not mean for it to sound arrogant or judgemental, but it does to many women. and, being a celeberity personality, she doesn’t get to retract those words. she might want to give her interviews more thought.

with my first child, i had severe postpartum depression and eventually had to stop nursing because i was put on a medication that could have negatively impacted my newborn. i decided he needed a mom more than he needed breastmilk and i put my healing first. i was the right move. after a month or so, i wasn’t suicidal anymore. i have friends who have bypassed nursing for a variety of reasons; some because they just didn’t want to do it. we’re so worried about the baby, we forget that MOM has to be healthy first. healthy mom. healthy baby.

i always pose this to those who want to impose breastfeeding on others: line up 12 people on the street. now pick out the ones who were breastfed vs. bottlefed. you’d never be able to do it. if formula was that bad for babies, we’d have a nation full of chronically ill people with subintelligence. the argument just doesn’t hold up. i would have loved to have b-fed my babies. what a lovely experience that must be. it’s just not an essential experience. there are other ways to nourish, nurture and bond with your baby.

I completely agree with you. I tried breastfeeding but my son was not latching on. I also like your “healthy mom equals healthy baby”…I would have loved to have breastfed but between feedings, pumping, and everything else, I figured that my sanity should be my first priority in order to properly take care of my son.

19. Jack109

Ok lets get the facts. Everyone knows that breast is best. Women who choose not to breast feed are selfish IMO. Formula is supposed to be a substitute for women who CANT breastfeed. What do you think your breasts are for? There is a reason the body works the way it does and looks the way it does. PS its not to make your husband happy! Even if you pump and give your baby breast milk in a bottle that is better than formula and twice as convenient because you don’t have to pay for it. I know that hooking your boobs up to a pump while you watch TV or sit at the computer is so hard but jeez, think about your child’s health before you think about yourself. Again, I only say this about mothers who CHOOSE not to breast feed, not the ones that cant.

Are you flippin serious? What do you class as CAN’T? And is your own health not as important as your childs? You need to grow up! BREAST IS NOT ALWAYS BEST!

20. Not Anonymous

Why is that nearly all the posts defending Gisele and her statements are people who won’t use a user name? I makes me wonder if its the same person – it all sounds the same.

It’s fine to disagree but wow.

• whitneycastro

and why do I feel like comments like yours, are from the same person. you are basically saying you write the same MEAN comments over and over again. it goes both ways hunny pie.

• Giselle rocks

You are clearly a paranoid psychopath. Please go get help. There are many posters on here. You really are a sick person. I pity you.

omfg she cares for her child and gets criticized??????personally you jealous blog writers and readers should just stop reading and stalking her interviews! my mom and aunt have said the same thing (that breast feeding is better for a babies health and growth) and yet gisele says it in an article she is criticized????? oh gimme a break! finally a woman who agrees with my way of thinking!!!!!!!!!!!! aka: putting your baby first,before yourself. formula is not the best option…

22. chinatownwoman

actually more and likely its some Adriana Lima stalkers who get mad cuz their bloated blowfish aint famous and no one is talking or reading about her articles, when she says dumb things all the time. why does it never get mentioned? bc no one cares about her. get a life. Gisele says exactly what my mama says. breast feeding is and always WILL be the better option. many women feel this way,,,sooooo sorry many women are not Gisele and getting Vogue and Harpers Bazaar articles everyone wants (or doesnt want,but cant help to) READ! get lost.

Congratulations! You put a”pseudo” name instead of being anonymous but you’re the same person who defends this useless piece of panty model. I can tell from your use of “its” that you’re a #1 Gisele fanatic!!!! ha ha ha Tell your hero that she gets the Mother of the Year award–yes, labor was easy for her, yes Ben is potty trained at 6 months, yes there should be a law for breastfeeding…..those that speak holier than thou are the ones with massive issues. More worthy figures in our society do not shove their ideas to the public because they are more educated and realized that one size does not fit all..

23. anon101

aww look at this. Gisele critics and haters are overanalyzing her humor and outgoing one of a kind personality, yet again! ladies don’t you read articles on people that actually interest you?? lol I mean, I know Gisele is hard to shy away from, but come on. I happen to love her refreshing, (i get to the point personality) what I am so sick of is, the celebs who are all about the world and new technology rather than natural motherhood that has worked for centuries, and look down upon “old fashioned” methods. this is a real woman! I admire her alot! thanks Gisele for speaking how you feel, and not what others want to HEAR!

Yeah. You can tell by the tone of her ‘One size fits all because I say so!’ proclamations that people enabled her to get away with some kind of attitude and behaviour of entitlement during all her modeling gigs. Isn’t that fun? (No.)

Clearly, she doesn’t comprehend that to make such pronouncements on a subject that is clearly emotional and, in some cases, cause for contention in our society, that you’d do well to accompany your grand proclamation with a little bit of info on why (you think) this is necessary (based on facts) and/or at least a little bit of empathy towards the subject to which there are obviously two (valid) sides. She’s young isn’t she? She needs to work on her people skills.

25. bottlefeeder

who says breast is best? there are some studies, but many scientists feel the results are skewed toward the breast because middle class and upper-middle class women tend to breastfeed while lower income women often do not. children in higher income brackets have more opportunities and better medical care. who’s to say what effects what? i am someone who would have liked to breastfeed if at all possible. i mean, what a wonderful way to spend the first year with your child.

but why do some women care so deeply what other women do with their children – and their breasts? formula is not poison and it’s not merely a default for moms who can’t b-feed. it’s actually quite well developed or half the nation’s kids would probably be dead or severely malnourished. this is another example of women judging their sisters and tearing each other down. it’s hard enough to be a mom without the maelstrom of criticism. STOP IT. please. a lot more goes into a healthy child than breastmilk. AND breastfeeding a child is wonderful. can’t we hold both things at once? and then either support our fellow moms or else mind our own business?

26. Un-American

Yeah, she’s absolutely right. American women are lazy, fat, self-absorbed and don’t breastfeed. Then they have the audacity to splash their “autism awareness” bumper stickers, like they’re not embarrassed that they partly contributed to the epidemic by not breastfeeding. And then they wonder….

Ok, you finally crossed the line. My son is on the Autism Spectrum Disorder and for a stranger to imply that my son’s disability is due to him not being breastfed is totally irresponsible. Note: no one knows what causes Autism and I would appreciate it if you be careful next time you comment on a topic, which you obviously have no knowledge of. I feel so bad for you being ignorant.

• HLBronson

I truly hope this is a joke, because you are implying that every child with Autism must have been fed formula? I’m no genious, but I can pretty much guarentee you that there are breastfed children with Autism. There goes that theory.

• HLBronson

Aw crap, I typed “guarantee” incorrectly in my first post. My mom must have fed me formula. If I were breastfed I definitely wouldn’t have made that mistake!

27. Un-American

Wow, all the hatred from moms who don’t breastfeed. LOL, GUILTY much?

Um, how could a woman be guilty about not doing something she her body can’t do? We are not expressing hatred — instead, we are (futilely) trying to get you to understand that this issue is more subtle than you or Giselle seem to be capable of understanding.

LOL.

• Rafael

You are full of rage and hate and need to get a life. Breast is not always best. You don’t know what you are talking about.

• Jennie

Actually, I found your comment to be the one full of hatred and spite. My son is on the autism spectrum and for your information, I couldn’t breastfeed him but I chose to pump so he WAS getting breast milk.
      I’m actually getting a bit ill reading all these comments from those who feel that they are holier than thou because they breastfed their children. So what? Want a medal? If a woman choses NOT to breast feed, who the hell cares what her reasons are? The child is HERS not YOURS, so get over it!

All of my children received breast milk but I have had friends who wouldn’t even try it. Guess what? I didn’t lecture them or make them feel like crap over it because its THEIR choice. THEIR right to chose. So everyone else needs to take a page out of the same book and cut out the guilt trips and name calling. Its sickening and immature.

28. trulyyours12

Gisele could have said great things and it will ALWAYS go un-noticed. her haters love to nit pick every little detail of her life so its no surprise, they are AGAIN. I am an advocate for natural birthing,breastfeeding and anything else to do with motherhood, so I am glad there is one celeb out there vocal about it! formulas are crappy motherhood in my opinion. more tummy aches,whiney babies, and diarrhea and slower development (not only gisele feels this way, MANY women do)….Benjamin seems like a happy healthy baby, so whatever she is doing, is working. Go Gisele!

I’ve tried to give Gisele some slack because she’s a model so not really expected to be smart, but whenever anyone wants to force people to do something, it just gets under my skin. A law to tell parents how to raise their children as if kids who aren’t breastfed are less human, less successful, less worthy? It’s totalitarian! This idiot who doesn’t want people to tell her how to make her money or live her life (I’m sure plenty of people in the world find her lifestyle offensive), wants to tell everyone else how to live their lives. Still she’s a model, not a real celebrity, whose money is made because they are likable. She’s a face and a body so I’m going to ignore the crap that comes out of her big fat mouth. She has the right to say stupid stuff and I think we average folks have a right to tell her where to shove it.

30. absx20

breast fed babies grow up healthier and with less problems, everyone knows that by now. formulas should become obsolete. moms who breast feed are thinking about not wanting to pull their breast out in public places,rather than the health of their babies. breast feeding is a great bonding and un-selfish choice.

This is not true. I was breastfed as a baby and I have more allergies than I can count. My sister was breastfed as a baby and has learning disabilities. My niece, who was bottle fed as a baby, has barely been to the doctor in her 12 years on this planet and has been tested at two grade levels above where she should be age wise.

Nothing in this world is black and white.

31. Marina

for my first baby, I did breastfed, and it was hard for me, and after a few month, it became clear that it was hard for my son too
    a baby cannot be healthy with a sad, tired and unhappy mom !
    I CHOOSE not to breastfed my second baby, and she is just perfectly healthy ! I did enjoy being with my daughter more than I did with my son, and I don’t feel selfish about it !

trulyyours12, you probably think your kids are better because of how you raise them but that’s just arrogance on your part. You probably think your kids are the smartest and most beautiful and so forth but that doesn’t make it true. I know breastfed kids who are dumb and sickly and who have parents who don’t put any effort into raising them but they stuck a boob in the kid’s mouth so they figure they’re superparents. I personally breastfed my kids but that was MY choice. You and this idiot want to make a law that takes away that choice. What would the penalty be and how would it be enforced? If a mom is at a store and sticks a bottle in her kid’s mouth then should the police find out if that bottle is filled with formula or breastmilk? Would she be fined on the spot to make an example of others? Should we rat out our friends and neighbors to the BoobNazis? Think your stupid ideas through before you feel so good about them. You might want to be a facist and force people to live as you do, but that doesn’t mean the rest of us are going to applaud your control issues.

33. vanessaxotue

this shoot was shot the day after the 2010 MEt gala in NYC. and before all the other articles that offended you lazy mothers, came out too. and loook at the title of this blog post. its meant to get attention, and it works. its nothing wrong said. half mothers DO in fact feel this same exact way, and maybe the other half doesn’t. She is not preaching, only merely giving much anticipated interviews by the biggest magazines in the world. you dont have to read them, if you dont want to, you do know that right?…..anyways. Gisele I love her personality. Id say in a world full of uninteresting models who no one cares about, she certainly is the LAST supermodel. remember Linda Evanglistas I dont get out of bed for less than 10,000 $ a day comment? yep still gets talked about today, more than any boring no named models. lol whatever shes doing works and she has one of the best personalities in her profession. her career speak for that.

34. loltoofunny

CAROLYN is obviously a jealous woman/blog writer with 10 double chins.

35. AngelaandTony

First of all, breast fed babies is the way to go, because the cholostrom in the breast milk gives off immunity to ward off disease that no man made formulas can give. that is generally why breast fed babies are healthier,happier and develop faster/better. Gisele is right. Its the better choice and should be the only choice. formula fed babies are often sicker and cry more. they are not getting efficient benefits. Its like baby animals sucking their moms teets vs. fed through a tube after their moms abandoned them. which is better? the chlostrom can only be found in breast milk. do your research people before you judge a woman who has obviously done hers and seems to live,breath her child!

woman, you’re the same babbling idiot who truly admire Gisele. You and Gisele should take an English class together…You can’t fool everyone with your misuse of “its”

• HLBronson

Ok, I have read this comment about 5 times now and it’s (no pun intended) getting old. TONS of people make the common its/it’s mistake. I highly doubt it’s the same person every time.

• Marina

how can you know if your milk contains everything your baby needs ? Not all the women have good milk ! Unfortunately, there is no way to know until your baby is sick… I agree that breastmilk is very good for babies, but stop saying that formula is not !
      Gisele says that it’s “chemical”. All right, it’s not natural, so what ?
      Babies are as healthy as if they were breastfed, that’s a fact.
      So why should women not think about themselves for a while ?

36. SarahEl

I have yet had time to read all the comments. I am really for breastfeeding. I PERSONALLY feel it is best for the child. I know some women don’t or can’t breast feed and that is fine. One thing I do wish for is formula companies should NOT be allowed to give away formula in the hospital right after birth. I breastfeed my first child for two years, and my other for a year. It was a wonderful experience. I think that giving formula out at hospitals deters many mothers from breastfeeding, when they had a good chance. I was given a breastfeeding support package from the hospitals as I was on my way home, and it had two can of formula in it. How in the world is this helping breastfeeding. I think better education on breastfeeding would be nice, and less advertising for formula would be WONDERFUL.

37. layne

If this was Jennifer Garner or Naomi Watts or Alyson whatsername everybody would agree with them and cheer them for their wonderful choices and say that they were such wonderful mommies. But since this is Gisele, we can’t have that. Such bitter, bitter women, and I bet jealous too. The amount of hate spewed towards Gisele is just unnatural. How is she stupid or dumb by saying what she thinks about this particular subject? Jesus. Go do something productive with your lives.

I disagree. It’s not hate you’re reading here, but a reasonable degree of concern that she is sending the wrong message.

I happen to agree with other things Gisele has said, like the potty-training and the home-birthing. But I think it’s wrong for her to cause more grief and guilt for mothers who can’t breast feed.

I couldn’t care less which celebrity it is who calls for a “law” requiring breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding for 2 years? That is absolutely ridiculous!

Love Gisele! She is so refreshing!

Love Gisele! She is so refreshing!

Why women are so scared to let their bodies do what they were made to be able to do is baffling to me. First, you all attack her for having a positive birthing experience and now you attack her for wanting to breast-feed her child.
    A woman’s body is made to be able to give birth and breasts exist for a sole purpose of feeding your child. Why even look to other options when that is how its naturally suppose to be done?
    (Don’t give me the “some women physically can’t” because they are an exception)

Who said that women are scared of breast-feeding? I’m concerned that your sources of information are very flawed. No one has said anything about being scared.

I would never attack her for having a positive birthing experience, and not a single person on this comment board is attacking her for wanting to breast-feed her son. Several of us are simply concerned that a “law” to force all women to breast-feed is not fair and not appropriate.

Read more carefully before you attack people.

Also, you say that a woman’s body is made to give birth — well, I think that there are other things I’ve accomplished that I’m very proud of, in addition to giving birth to my own child without medication, and it seems sexist and anti-woman to say that the function of my body is to make babies. Please.

I didn’t say its the ONLY function or that the purpose of a woman’s life is to make babies. Geez, way to take things out of context.

42. Cabos

I don’t have time to go through all the comments here but i’m pretty sure i won’t be the only one saying that she needs to do some research before opening her mouth about breastfeeding. Seriously a law?? are you flipping kidding me?? a LAW?????

But again, what can we expect from a “super” model.

I never breastfed and my son turned out just fine! Big waste of time!

• Olivia

It is not a waste of time, nice attitude. Not only does breastfeeding nourish your baby nutritionally, but it allows a very special bonding relationship between the mother and child that doesn’t happen with bottlefeeding.

• adri

Oh please. That’s just a myth. Breastfeeding is not what bonds a mother and child, it’s the close, physical contact that bonds which yes even a bottle fed baby can bond with their mother. Your statement is utterly ridiculous. You are not that special because you BF lady.

• Olivia

It is not a myth that skin to skin contact is a special bond that most mothers that do not breastfeed lack. That is not to say that there aren’t other bonds between babies and their mothers, of course there are! I was simply replying to the comment that breastfeeding is not a waste.

44. Audrey

I want a law requiring pacifiers shed by age 1, potty training by age 2, no stollers or being carried by age 2 1.2. Joking. Let each mother do as she feels best for her family as she can. Most mothers want the best for their children and sometimes, ever for reasons not physical, it is formula. But to suggest even jokingly laws such as hers tramples on women’s rights to do so.

I would hope that she has the intelligence to realize that not every woman can breastfeed. It can be a very painful experience knowing that you can’t, when you want too. I think Gisele just needs to really think about what she says before opening her mouth. She has been known to say very damaging things in the past without realizing it. You can be very passionate about something without insulting a large percentage of mothers. You can tell she is very passionate about breastfeeding, but she needs to realize or be informed that the inability to breastfeed is not always a choice!!!

46. Courtney

yeah exactly I was just going to say the same thing. my mom wanted to breast feed me when I was born 25 years ago and couldn’t. because the muscles behind my vocal chords were Parralized so I had to be bottle fed with a premmie nipple. though I was born 11 days late. so Gisele needs to be quiet some mothers that have all the intentions to breastfeed can’t for one reason or another and it’s not their fault they can’t

I think it`s ridiculous.
    She seems like a first time mom with too much help who doesn`t know how real live mother struggle. I breastfed my 2 children for over a year and I personally think it`s the best you can give your but it`s every womans own choice. And – my children have eczema and I couldn`t stop eating while I was breastfeeding because I was always hungry. I gained a few pounds instead of losing….
    Like in any other question that will come with children – when do we start to feed solid food, about co-sleeping, …. – and so many more decisions you have to make… there are so many different opinions about it and there is no real “false” decision.
    No woman should judge about the decisions other mothers make. And she is judging…

this woman is crazy.

Oh my god, Gisele is such a horrible person!
    She loves her step-son; She took care of her body before, during and after pregnancy; She had a natural birth that she didn’t describe as torture; She learned to potty train her son early to avoid using diapers that pollute the environment; And now, she breast-feeds her son and thinks other moms should do the same because that is what’s best for the children.

Yes, an awful woman indeed! She’s practically a witch!

Seriously, people. Jealous much?

Yes she loves her step-son, takes care of herself and her own child. But she claims to believe a law should be in force to require others to behave as she feels appropriate. Maybe she believes in a law requiring newborn potty training and only naturaly childbirth. Give me my epidural and I’ll train when my child is ready. Oh, yes I did nurse my kids, but it was by choice.

Seriously, read the interview. Clearly, she did not literally mean that there should be a law about this.
        Its an expression. Maybe you don’t say it, but I’m always saying things like “There should be a law against wearing oversized t-shirts”- it doesn’t mean I’m actually suggesting there should be a law about it. Again, its just an expression. Gisele isn’t about to march into Congress. Chill out.

My experiences in life have been very different, and less fortunate, than Gisele’s, but never has anything she said made me feel badly about myself. I understand that everyone has different experiences, and I’m happy with the choices I’ve made. I understand the points Gisele tries to make, and it seems like she has the best of intentions. I, for one, think it’s great that she expresses her true feelings on these issues and I believe that if you are satisfied with your life, you shouldn’t feel badly about yourself because of what someone else thinks or says.

I think there should be a law against taking quotations from interviews and placing them alone and out-of-context.
    I feel like Gisele always gets crap because the media doesn’t know how to report on things (or rather, they do so purposefully to get so many responses).
    I used to dislike her because I only read these articles on random websites, but when I started to read the entire interviews I had a completely different opinion on her. She has so many great things to say, but the only things that are reported on are these “controversial” one-liners.
    For example, the Vanity Fair interview back in 2009 was one of the best celeb interviews I’ve ever read. I gained so much respect for Gisele from it. But, the only thing people talked about was her comment about her step-son. That comment was only on the first page, there was another 3 pages of an insightful interview that nobody read.
    This quotation here about breast-feeding almost seems like it was made in passing when you read the whole interview. Not to mention that the writer wrote about how warm of a person she is like 10 times. Yet, everyone is now taking this one comment out of context and attacking her for it.

Its a shame because when you learn more about her she’s actually a really sweet, vibrant, down-to-earth and family-oriented person. But some people don’t care to know the whole truth and just assume she’s an arrogant bitch.

52. Olivia

Why do so many people think it is normal to feed babies (and themselves for that matter) milk from another species? Of course all mothers that can breastfeed should, babies do better with milk from their own species. Milk is species specific.

• adri

Because human beings have been drinking milk from animals since the beginning of time. The bible even speaks of humans drinking goat milk. Why do humans drink milk from other species? Ask yourself this: why do humans eat the meat from those same species? Because we can. By the way, there have been documented cases of one species of animals nursing an entirely different species. The difference is that humans are the only ones smart enough to extract milk in vast amounts for our consumption.

• Olivia

I studied nutrition in college, so I am well educated in this field. I do not believe in the bible, I believe in evolution. Humans have evolved to be able to digest substances that we were not intended to ingest (such as milks from other species and meat from large animals) but our bodies are much better off not ingesting these things. For most people, vegan diets are much healthier. People of European descent have been ingesting animals and animal products longer and so have a higher tolerance for these things, but in very small portions.

I plan to breastfeed my son, but only for 3 months. Unlike Gisele, I do not have the luxury of taking a year or more off of work to breastfeed my infant. I have to return to work 12 weeks after his birth. There is no way I can continue to breastfeed after that happens. I will have no access to my son during the day, nowhere to pump, and will not be allowed the extended breaks I’d need to pump. Welcome to life in the U.S. Women don’t get 6 months to a year of paid maternity leave here. I don’t get any paid maternity leave. It took everything my husband and I had to save up enough money to cover my 12 week FMLA leave.

54. Cyrese

I’m sure she was taken out of content a little with this interview. No one has the right to make everyone breast feed their cild if tey choose not to. Yes, breast is best, and I’m a huge fan of breast feeding, but not everyone is able to or wants to do it and it is there choice.

She is one of the most annoying people on earth. She acts like she knows all and that she is better that everyone.

gisele is inconsiderate for even mentioning a law about breastfeeding. i nursed both my babies until they were 2 and i still feel this way! just because that was my choice doesn’t mean it is the right one for other people. in the u.s. we can make choices about our children including how and what we feed them, what vaccines we do and do not want and what kind of education system suits our style the best. you cannot force your own beliefs and feelings and choices onto other people. moms should be backing each other up, supporting one another – not tearing each other down based on the choices we make regarding our own children. it is not easy being a parent, period. it has ups and downs, rewards and discouragement, and i have never met a mom who wasn’t already second guessing her choices. why make mothering a battle between women? all of our children are precious and we are all doing the best we can!! gisele is just starting out on this path of motherhood…. whether she likes it or not she will probably be eating some of these words down the road.

How about a law banning models or celebrities from granting interviews on things they are not experts on…if you’re a model, just pose…if you’re an actress, just speak your lines. We don’t want or curious on what you think.

• melo1983

Amen sista

• layne

You’re not curious and you don’t want to know, yet you come here to read what she has to say…?

• adri

Well Miss Sparty Pants, obviously she comes here like most of us do because she likes reading about Celebrity Babies, mostly how cute they are, what they are wearing, reading about their lives with their celebrity parents. You know, for entertainment purposes but if one should come across a piece of a celebrity saying something idiotic then it takes just a few minutes to respond with your opinion. Do I really care what she has to say? Not really but I can’t help to look and run across it while reading about celebrity babies.

Be calm people, it’s only a passionate mother with strong opinions. No one will force anybody to breastfeed…

59. melo1983

WHY IS SHE SOO ANNOYINGGGG!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

I am so tired of her and her statements about motherhood. It is obvious she doesn’t live in reality.

61. ragdoll

It’s NOT really WHAT she said; she says stupid crap EVERY time she opens her mouth, but in the middle of delicate negotiations between Tom and the Patriots, Gisele could have practiced some decorum and veered away from statements that could have easily been misconstrued. After 14 years in the public eye, I’m not buying Gisele’s standard “go to excuse”, it’s the language barrier that confused her. I know, I know the poor thing ended her formal education at 14.

I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months.” That doesn’t sound flippant to me. Sounds fairly smug and narrow minded.

And I guess she’s going to pay all my bills so I can take 6 months off work in order to do this. She has no clue about the lives of the non-rich.

63. dedeespanks

oh you people misconstrue the meaning of her words all the time. I see nothing wrong with a mother being vocal about motherhood practices. She unlike most moms, is being ASKED and INTERVIEWED. its not like she is just saying these things…..people ask her and she tells. its called speaking your mind, and I like her for that and find it refreshing in a celeb who won’t stop saying the same exact cliche things, that everyone wants to hear. Gisele is passionate about motherhood and her son from what I’ve seen, and I don’t see one dang problem with that! she is a proud mama. Go on Gisele, keep talking! You people don’t have to read her interviews, and I bet you didn’t lol. the headline caught your eye, and you already don’t like the woman, so you wanted to come complain some more. seriously more people need lives. and yes Breastfeeding is more beneficial, and natural. she is into “green” living so I don’t see why she would want to feed her baby chemicals in the first place. quit focusing so much on Gisele’s life, and maybe you will actually get one of your own.

• adri

Oh no please Giselle, DON’T keep talking! Everytime you open your mouth something insanely stupid comes out. FYI deedeespanks, there are plenty of celebrities out there advocating breastfeeding, Salma Hayek, Gabrielle Reece, Maggie Gyllenhall, I could go on and on. In fact it seems the majority of celebrity moms do breastfeed so you saying that she is not saying every cliche that other celebrities say is ridiculous. The difference is most other celebries do it tactfully, with respect and not in an arrogant, holier than thou attitude. I would also venture out to say that women who you told to”quit focusing on Giselle’s life, and maybe you will get one of your own” DO have their own lives. Just because we come online and respond to something this idiot says doesn’t mean we don’t have lives. Seriously coming on here is just a tiny,miniscule part of my day. What about you? You are coming here too. Don’t you have a life? Don’t you have anything better to do with your life than defend this idiot?

64. crazykitten

Gisele actually left a blog post today on her blog regarding this. Since I know her critics don’t visit there, because they only visit the biased hater blogs, I will give you an excerpt:

from Gisele:

The importance of breastfeeding

August 02, 2010 by Gisele Bündchen

Categories: Destaques, Gisele’s Way, Meaning of Life

Since Gisele has become mother, the Top model expresses her feelings about motherhood and life. In a recent interview for the September issue of Harper’s Bazaar UK, Gisele talked about the importance of breastfeeding in the first months of child’s life. Now, in first hand, Gisele writes about the impact generated by the comment.

My intention in making a comment about the importance of breastfeeding has nothing to do with the law. It comes from my passion and beliefs about children. Becoming a new mom has brought a lot of questions, I feel like I am in a constant search for answers on what might be the best for my child. It’s unfortunate that in an interview sometimes things can seem so black and white. I am sure if I would just be sitting talking about my experiences with other mothers, we would just be sharing opinions. I understand that everyone has their own experience and opinions and I am not here to judge. I believe that bringing a life into this world is the single most important thing a person can undertake and it can also be the most challenging. I think as mothers we are all just trying our best.

it’s called damage control…and btw, I highly doubt she wrote that…people make excuses on her interviews that were taken out of context that English was not her first language and clearly, she did not write that.

65. E.M.

I just think it’s funny that she differentiates between breastmilk and “chemical food”. What does she think breastmilk is made of? Little atoms forming molecules which interact… oh yeah, chemicals! Everything we eat is made of chemicals. Our entire bodies are chemicals.

And every chemical she eats goes into her son through her breast milk. I’m not sure why she doesn’t understand that. Oh, right. She dropped out of school at 14.

66. cara

hilarious. this has to be some sort of comedy sketch, right?? i just can’t believe ANYONE could be, simultaneously, this smug and this dumb.

It’s obvious all you supporters of this idiot are pro breastfeeding so of course anything coming out of her mouth that is even remotely pro-breastfeeding, no matter how stupid it is, is going to get a positive remark from you breastfeeding nazis. FYI Formula fed babies are just as healthy as BM fed babies. BM is not magical.

Yay. Finally a real woman, not afraid to state the OBVIOUS for fear of upsetting the majority (as if its some kind of “meanie” conspiracy against them”). Yeah..well what about the baby!!! Woman selfish enough not to breastfeed (and lets get real…in this day and age there is absolutely no excuse..if you can spend time on facebook and / or reading gossip about celebrities, you can google “low supply” and find out its not mission impossible) shouldn’t have children in the first place. I find some of these comments INCREDIBLE. If i have ever seen a miracle on this planet its in the form of breastfeeding a child. And breastfeeding is not just about physical nourishment, its about emotional and mental nourishment too. Raising kids that are right in the head appears to be the hardest part of living in America.

• adri

Oh please. Sorry to inform you but breastfeeding IS NOT magical. Take real life human beings, not flawed studies, and you will see that in the end there is no difference between formula and breastfed babies and adults. In the end there is no difference whether physical, mentally, or emotionally between the two groups. How arrogant and all mighty of you to assume that there is no excuse not to breastfed. Get of your high horse lady.

I am in awe of the superior attitude and assumptions of the posters on this site. The assumption that those who do not breastfeed are selfish and not willing to nourish their babies emotionally and physically is profoundly offensive. I bet that if you were to find out what percentage of those who do not breastfeed were actually either unable to on their part or on the part of the baby, it would overwhelmingly come out as the main reason — NOT selfishness. How can you possibly come up with such an ugly generalization!? It is a profoundly devastating moment to come to the realization that you are unable to satisfy your child, or that the child is unable to feed off of you. What is most important is that your child is loved, satisfied and nourished in a calm, happy environment. Stress, lack of milk, frustration on the part of the baby and the mother completely negate this goal. So are you advocating that it is impossible to have low supply? It is impossible for the baby to have an inability to latch? Perhaps if we can’t breastfeed them, then what is the alternative? Answer that for me! I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you have never had any difficulties in childbirth or nursing. If that is the case, congratulations to you. The end goal is a happy, healthy mother and child. You should try being less judgmental and a whole lot more loving in your approach to other women.

70. IraQi Princess

geeze she gets on my nerves..agreed go back to just taking pretty photos and raise your son how you and only you wish to. I breastfed my son for 2 years also i topped him up with “chemicals” to get a good nights sleep when he cried for hours waiting for my breasts to fill up again. Gee i commited a crime..She needs a realtisy check, a LAW? omg LOL, Lets call it Giselles Law :)
    I also had a hypno home birth too, i couldnt say it was a extremly painful experience tho ofcourse it did hurt, its the WAY you handle the pain Giselle, perhaps you have a high pain tolerence like me. i dont remember screaming and im sure u did moo a bit..Thats a load of BS that its painless…Where can i get a medal like the one she is desperately after?..Oh yes and i also went back to my pre preg weight with out a stretch mark I can vouch there is alot of women who do not even need excercise to snap back, cuz we are naturally small and got good skin

Yes there should be a law for breastfeeding babies for the first 6 months!

Gisele put the following comment on her blog about this subject:

My intention when making the comment about the importance of breastfeeding has nothing to do with the law, but with my passion for children. Becoming mother brought me many questions , I am in constant search for answers of what is best for my son. It is unfortunate that interviews, sometimes things may seem so vague . I’m sure if you were sitting , talking about my experiences with other mothers, we would just sharing opinions. I understand that everyone has their own experiences and opinions. I’m not here to judge them. I think that bringing a life into this world is the most important commitment a person can take and can be as challenging as well. I think that as mothers we are always trying to give our best.

73. cat

i was adopted and my mother obviously did not breast feed. breast feeding is a CHOICE. if you choose to do it, great, if not, great. it is no one’s business but your own, but to say it must be done is ludicrous and ignorant.

74. AnonC

Wow. She’s obviously very naive to the world and naive to the female body. Some women, no matter how hard they try, simply can not breastfeed, and I wouldn’t DARE have the nerve to create a law forcing women to do something that is probably physically painful but also emotionally painful. How RUDE!

75. Carey79

I don’t agree with Gisele but I won’t turn into a psycho because of her comment. After reading comments here and other places I get worried about the huge increase of mental illness in our country. Only God can save the next generations if their mothers go crazy just because of stupid fashion model’s comments.
    Since everybody goes insane after reading any Gisele’s comment. I can’t even imagine how people would behave if Gisele’s mother who raised six daughters talked about anything. Perhaps the woman breastfeed each one of her daughters for a long time?

76. Parag

Breast-feeding has many benefits for the baby and many think it is best for the mother too, but the ultimate decision is the mother’s.

77. Parag

After reading a lot of these comments, I think it IS a personal choice. Many of these comments make it seem like the breastfeeding is the line between good parenting and bad parenting. Obviously the mother should be happy with her decision. It shouldn’t be torture. What if you have to take medication? So your needs have to be second. Right. Well, in that case, if she has some real problems, she won’t be able to stay stable to raise the kid. Breastfeeding doesn’t always equal good parenting.

79. Katie

I find it EXTREMELY offensive that some supermodel with a privileged life is going to tell working moms, chemotherapy patients and those with low milk supply that she wants to advocate a law telling us we HAVE to breastfeed our children.

Some of us don’t have the time to let baby suck on us for two hours. A pump takes care of that in less time and baby still gets breastmilk. Some women just don’t have the supply for 6 months. Once I went back to work my supply DROPPED from 8oz a session to 2oz.

GET OVER YOURSELF.

80. buy lexapro

Really great article with very interesting information. You might want to follow up to this topic!?! 2011

What she actually said was: “In my opinion, there should be a law[...]”
    If you read it in the context of the interview, you get a better understanding of what she’s actually saying.
    These websites always take one or two quotations and paraphrase them, completely out of context.
    Gisele is just expressing what she thinks is the right thing to do, and I agree with her. If you don’t feel the same way, you’re entitled to your opinion as well. She’s not forcing anyone to do anything. If you’re happy with your choices, there is no need to feel so offended or attacked.

82. Hillary

It’s people like you who over-react and put words in other people’s mouths. It’s not gonna happen, so stop freaking out and making a mountain out of a mole hill. RELAX.

83. Jade

You hit the nail on the head. Those were my very thoughts when I first heard this. She believes her will should be forced on others who may not necessarily believe the same way or make the same choices.

Of course she is trying to force mothers to do something! That’s the meaning of a law, which she is advocating.

The Gisele apologists are as dense and she is.

Actually, at first I thought the “law” thing was a bit extreme, but after reading the comments on here and realizing that women opt out of breast-feeding just because its inconvenient, I’m with Gisele 100% on this one.
    Some women are just unbelievable. As difficult as breast-feeding was for me, I never even thought of formula as an option.
    (Again, if a woman is simply “unable”- that is an exception)

You’re getting better at the use of “it’s vs. “its” but still need to work on it. :)

“so it’s better the government just force them to do the right thing.”

Whaaaaat?! Are you serious?? I’ll kindly thank the governments of the world to keep their noses out of my bra and my uterus…

“Clearly, some women don’t know what’s best for their child and so it’s better the government just force them to do the right thing.”

As a mom who is currently BFing my 9-month-old and BF my daughter until she was a year, I whole heartedly support BFing.

But what you just wrote is unbelievable. Who cares about individual rights, right? Let’s just let the government legislate personal freedom, morality, and anything else. Clearly the average human being is too stupid to manage their own lives and needs the all-pervasive State to look out for their needs.

I hate to bring it up, but it is the government that feeds formula dependance in the first place. The government provides free formula to poor women through programs like WIC. Of course, programs like WIC are also outside of the proper scope of government.

Why is it that people like you are always willing to have government “force people to do something” when it is something YOU want to happen, but “freedom of choice” and “pro-choice” when disagree with it?