Angelina Jolie’s Children Call Their Nanny “Mom”

Angelina Jolie's Children Call Their Nanny "Mom"

Contrary to what has been said in some of her recent and uncharacteristically personal interviews, In Touch reports that Angelina Jolie’s “happy home” might not be what it seems on the surface.

Last week, at the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa in Oakland, Calif. – where daddy Brad Pitt is filming Moneyball – Angie’s sons Pax, 6, and Maddox, 9, got into a brotherly spat over some ketchup after their nanny ordered burgers and fries for the boys and two friends.

“At one point, Maddox and Pax got into a brotherly spat over some ketchup,” says the witness, nothing that a bodyguard was also present at the meal. “The nanny firmly said, ‘Mad, let Paxie have some ketchup.’ Maddox said, ‘Mom, do I have to?’ and Pax was whining, ‘Mom, make him give me some.’”

According to the witness the boys continued to call their nanny “mom”, something which didn’t seem so surprising to a friend of the Jolie-Pitt family:

Angelina is gone so much working or in meetings that the kids do spend most of their time during the day with the nannies. Publicly, Angelina would not like the hired help to be seen, but they are there and all of the kids are so attached to them, they are like family – whether Angelina wants to believe that or not.

Recently it was also reported that the couple’s youngest children – 2-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne – didn’t recognize their father after his trip to the salon in preparation for his latest flick.

“Brad kissed and hugged them when he left for the hairstylist, but when he came home three hours later with his hair cut, the grey dyed out and his face totally smooth, Knox and Vivienne ran away from him screaming,” recalls one source. “They ran up to Angelina, saying, ‘Where’s daddy? Who’s that man?’”

“Knox and Vivienne were so young when Brad started growing his beard that they didn’t know him any other way.

Angie and Brad, who have been together since 2005, are also parents to 4-year-old Shiloh and 5-year-old Zahara.

Filed under: Angelina Jolie

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

She is a loathsome creature! I cannot image this selfish witch having one child – never mind 6! She is a fake! I could vomit every time I read about her!

I do not hate her but I do believe that nannies are raising those children and that Angelina spends very little time with them.

3. Cabos

Well, seriously i do assume that they have to have nannies to handle so many kids. I mean, we see Reese Witherspoon, Amy Pohler and other celebrity moms walking with their kids AND nannies, which is pretty normal. But for some reason i have the feeling that Brad and Angelina want the public to think that they’re the ONLY ones in the planet who can have a Hollywood career, travel all over the world, have six kids and NO nannies at all.

They have to be the only ones who have a nanny for each child. But Jolie pushing them out of the photos when it’s time for the photo-ops. Which in her case, is all the time.

Not surprising – she works all the time. And movie sets are different than a 9 to 5 job because the hours can be brutal – up to 16 hours a day, night shooting, etc. There is no way you can be a working mom without babysitters. Odd though, usually the babysitter is not called mom. Mom is usually called mom no matter how much time spent away from the children.

I really don’t believe this!
    1-the so called witness is laying.
    2-the nanny’s name is Mon, Don or something and the witness misunderstood.

Ugh this site disgusts me now. If I wanted to read tabloid crap about anyone, I’d go to the websites! I don’t care how slow the news day is and how much easier it is to just copy an paste what they say, this is just gross and it’s not even the first time. Pathetic. CBB just keeps proving how superior it is and they don’t even have to do anything.

Why on earth do Brand and Angelina have 6 kids when they barely spend any time with them? It is very obvious that these kids are being raised by nannies. This is truly pathetic!

• gossipgirl

True…BUT, they are still being raised in a safe, loving and healthy environment. At least they are not still in those orphanages, without any chance at health care, education or safety. They took 3 kids who had no future-really- and gave them one. Even if they are not always hands-on, they have folks there to help raise them. Some parents that are not celebrities, just hard working folks, are doing the same thing, just on a smaller scale. I’m sure these kids know who their parents are and are ok.

As a nanny, I am frequently called “mommy” and it IS because I spend more time on a daily basis with the children then their actual mom. However, the kids i care for are two and NOT the ages of Maddox and Pax. I have gotten then to call me “Mimi” instead but if kids that old are calling their nannies mom, it goes to show you how much time the holier than thou Pitt-Jolie’s spend with their kids! It is especially telling with Maddox who was an only child at one point!

Ummm- she works A LOT less than other celebrity moms (garner, witherspoon, klum, etc) and much, much less than the average working mom who work all year round and put their kids in day care (yes, I do that, not ideal, but we need both incomes). She takes months, sometimes over a year off between projects and when she does work, Brad stays home. If she is a bad mom, than 90% of all moms are ten times worse than they CLAIM she is. Those magazines NEVER say anything true about her or Brad or her kids (like saying the bio kids are all retarded, etc.). EVERY week for 6 years they say that Brad is leaving- I guess he is just taking his time or waiting til they have a few more kids.

Looks like the holier than tho Angelina and Brad are not so holy! I feel very sorry for these children. This “perfect” family is NOT so “perfect”.

I cannot believe how many people worship Brad and Angelina like they are some sort of gods. They are just ordinary people. I am sure that Angelina is a very difficult person to deal with.

nobody worships her she is better than most people hating on her and her family,leave them alone

14. klutzy_girl

Why are people believing this?

15. orange pants

Jolie works less than other actress Moms? She works constantly. Check out her IMBD. Yeah, she took a year off when she was pregnant, she tells the same story every other interview about how she can’t wait to retire and just stay home with the kids, then she continues to do 3 movies per year, plus huge worldwide publicity for each movie, plus her “goodwill” photo ops / PR candy. Then, there’s her ‘mystery diet’ and her working out.

Jolie is a total narcissist. She also certifiably insane.

I feel somewhat badly when I disrupt my kid’s schedules, routine, and security when we go on vacation or stay out late at a picnic. I know how important it is for kids to have a home, consistency, routine. She yanks those poor kids all over the world to fulfill her little narcissistic fantasy of an exciting, global lifestyle. Mental.

She averages one movie per year, not three. That averages out to about three months work a year.

Orange pants, finally someone who agrees with me!!
      Children NEED stability! It’s one of the first things I learned in Education and Child Studies..
      Obviously children do not get this when they’re changing house every half year!

16. raven

I don’t know where you people get your info but not once has ether Brad or Angelina Jolie clam that they did not have nannies to help them out. Thiers been many interviews were both have said that they have nannies and tutors that travel with them but they steel feel like one parent should say home why the other is working. I always find it funny how its Angelina fault but not Brad’s and how she evil and Brad is a trap fly in her web.

lol it’s cause of idiots like you these trashy tabs survive. I love it when morons prove that they really will swallow anything. She films one movie a year. That’s at most 5 months of “working.” The rest of the time she’s not working at all. She admits that they have help, yet everyone pretends that she’s said she doesn’t. Please. She’s ten times the mother most of you are, considering she doesn’t sit around trashing other moms and gorging herself on tabloids. Go read to your kids or something. And as for this site – I agree, a site is only as good as the content that’s published on it and it’s been nothing but trash lately.

Why is this site posting stories from “In Touch” magazine? And whats even more laughable is the haters pouching on this like it is the gospel truth.I take it you forgot the NUMEROUS lies this rag has told on Angelina/Brad in the last 5 years.I don’t worship this family….BUT I do get tired of the hate from the Jennifer Aniston fans.When are you people going to let this crap go?Your obsessive nitpicking of Angelina Jolie parenting skills is scary!

19. raven

Orange pants, your are lying.Angelina wrapped Changeling in Dec of 2007 and did not start Salt until Feb 2009…you do the math.Since then she has made 1 film a year working 8 to 12 weeks.BTW just because a movie is listed on IMBD does NOT make it a done deal.They aren’t the most accurate source.But hey…you don’t care about the truth, this is just and excuse to bash Angelina Jolie and say she is a “bad parent.” And your proof is a KNOWN LYING tabloid.And you call Angelina mental?LOL.

The fact certain women are buying this tabloid crap speaks volumes about the world today.Please tell me,how many of the BS stories that In touch have printed in the last 5+ years about the Jolie-Pitt family have been true?This piece of crap rag has found a market in bitter Jen fans who can’t let go of a 5 year celebrity divorce.Cause you do know Jen fans are the ones buying this crap.This site should be ashamed for posting this mess.

Isn’t this not the same tabloid that claimed that she was pregnant and adopting half a dozen times, Not to mention all the other lies they tell about other celebrities. So I guess that scene some of you believe this crap that is written about Brad and Angelina Jolie then they must have 10 bio kids and have adopted 12 babies for Haiti, Africa and many other courtiers…..lol Becasue the tabloids have writen it so it must be true. I don’t even like them but just because I don’t like them doesn’t mean I’m a hater that going to believe ever thing they read about them.

I’m thrilled to see that many other women aren’t buying into Angelina Jolie’s phony PR image. It’s very obvious that her 6 nannies are doing most of the work raising her children & she takes credit for it all. She won’t let the nannies in her photo op pictures, because it would ruin her “supermom” image. When she talks about how hard it is raising six children, I just laugh. I admire the average working mom who is raising 6 kids by herself, not some rich Hollywood star who has 6 nannies to push all the hard work of raising her children off on.

I just find her a loathsome creature. She uses those children as PR props & accessories to her image. She’s not above using her own children to fulfill her insatiable need for PR & adulation.

• E.M.

They don’t have six nannies, they have four. Brad and Angelina freely and openly talk about it. In 2007 when they still had four kids, Angelina gave an interview saying they had four nannies, two of which were tutors in the native language of some of her adopted children (Vietnamese for Pax and Khmer for Maddox). Tabloids latched onto that and somehow extrapolated that OMG, the Jolie-Pitts have ONE NANNY PER CHILD!!!!!1!!!

Anyway, that was three years ago and now they have six kids but nowhere do we have any evidence that they have six nannies. It’s just an assumption easily spewed by tabs and easily swallowed by haters.

If Angelina “takes credit for it all” wouldn’t she never talk about the hired help? Oh wait, she does. “A lady who works with us at the house speaks Vietnamese, and we have a Cambodian friend who comes around. One of our nannies is French, but of Congolese descent. Of course, she speaks French.” She “won’t let the nannies in her photo op pictures”? Oh wait, she does.

24. Moore1

I highly doubt this.

How anyone can believe this crap is beyond any rational reason. In Touch has lied on this family, especially Angelina, for almost 6 years now. Every week a new In Touch lie. Nothing every proved to be true. Angelina has said they have help, three part time people, who are seen with them in pap pics from time to time. They do not control which pics pap take. Helpers are not money shots for paps. But these kids are mostly seen with their parents who are very hands on and take turns working so one parent can be home with the kids. Angelina did not work for 2 years until she made Salt and only works 3 months a year in one film. The rest of the time she is mostly at home. There are few pics of her when she is not working unless she is on a humanitarian trip which are never longer than 3 days. So sad to read the vile things some say here. There have been tweets since last week of Angelina and the kids being in Oakland and with Brad on his film set. Guess twitter is too advanced for some here. Such ignorance.

26. mslewis

Well, I used to like this site but I think I’ll stop coming here since you’ve started repeating tabloid lies word for word as gospel. I’m not shocked that there are women who believe this stuff but I am shocked that a respected site like this one repeats these lies.

27. PA Nanny

As a nanny, I’m kind of appalled that a nanny would allow her charges to call her “Mom”. I’ve worked for families where I was with the children for 50+ hours a week and no matter how many years I was with them or how many hours per week I spent with them, I was not their mother. I was their nanny, someone who loved them very much but was also paid to be with them. If this story is true (which I doubt it is) then the nanny would be fired- it is over-stepping professional boundaries to allow the children to refer to her that way. I’ve never met a nanny who would allow this to happen or a parent who would be OK with it either. In Touch should try for a touch of reality in their next Brange-sploitation piece.

I watched an 8 year old child for less than 10 hours a week and she would often refer to me as mommy. I tried to get her to call me by my name, but I’m not going to put a kid in time-out for calling me mommy. And her mother had no problem with this as she did call her mother mom (not mommy). So what is the nanny really supposed to do if the kids are calling her mom?

28. cece

The credibility of this story is not reliable due to it is source In Touch Weekly.
    I do think that Angelina and Brad use their nannies more than what they betray in interviews. Both Brad and Angie betray themselves as hands on parents that do the majority of the work of raising their 6 kids and uses the nannies as back up. I think the truth is they send quality time with their kids but the nannies are the ones taking care of the kids daily needs. Nothing wrong with that. You can tell their kids know they are loved.

I like the Jolie-Pitts just fine. But there are people out there that have a problem with them. I met a man a few weeks ago that works for a non-profit organization. He is a director of a facility for orphaned and foster bound children. I work part time in a retail store and I was helping him find bedding for the 7 rooms in the facility. His budget was very low but he was so grateful to have gotten a little money to brighten up the rooms for the children. But, he had to shop wisely. He brought up Angelina Jolie during our search. I was interested in what he had to say sense he was working in field of dis-place children. Well, he doesn’t like Angelina Jolie. I never stated my opinion one way or the other. He went on to say that there are children in the US that need help just as much as her adopted kids. He said most of the kids at his facility have never had anyone that cared / loved them. Many come from very poor homes and have never slept in a bed. That is why he was trying to spruce up the rooms a little. He didn’t like the fact that the Jolie Pitts haven’t adopted and American child. There are not many people who want to adopt American Children once they enter Foster Care. Once they are no longer toddlers there is only a slim chance they will leave the Foster Care program or Children Homes. He said it made him question why Angie was really adopting kids. He said the people who could afford to help these kids (wealthy adoptive parents like Angelina) don’t want to adopt them. Many American children need private counseling due to the abusive situations and from years in Foster Care. If people like Angie really wanted to help they would at least adopt an American Child. He made it sound like American Children are the most unwanted children in the world especially if they have been abused. He said those who do adopt older children are the ones he respects the most. Many have to rely on government funded counseling programs that are over crowded. He basically thought Angelina adopted her kids to help her image.
    I really couldn’t say anything.

Although Angelina is doing great things. There are those who really do have a difference of opinion about what she does and why.

Because apparently, American kids are the only ones that deserve loving homes.

Can’t people be happy that Angelina and Brad’s three adopted kids found a home where they are loved and cared for and there are now three less homeless kids in this world. Why must everyone nitpick on how others decide to build their families? If this guy was so upset, why doesn’t HE adopt some American kids?

yes, exactly… and who is he to judge… come on! she cant save all the children. how can you critisise somebody who did something good! there is no good and better adoption. this is a good thing to do, so really stop it!!!!

CBC you have outdone yourselves this time with this pathetic story, Desiree expecially. You’ve put this here to enable Angelina’s haters to have a feast and they seem to be enjoying themselves. You’re all a bunch of hateful, spiteful women at CBC and I for one will never visit this place again. THATS A PROMISE

I don’t believe this story, although I wouldn’t be surprised if the kids do fight sometimes… a lot of siblings do. as for calling the nannies “mom” I doubt the older children do, maybe the babies do. my 21 months old niece calls me mom when I’m babysitting her and otherwise calls my name. I don’t think older children would be as confused.

OMG i do believe this story but c’mon it is NOT a big deal. So what if they call their nanny mom, it’s not like they don’t know who their real mother is! I absolutely don’t think this family is perfect and i don’t believe everything AJ says but really you take things way to personally, they do their best they can for their kids so stop the judgemental actitude

32. Anon1

Tabloids do sometime get it right. This story may be true. I can’t see how they manage six kids all so young with such busy careers. Something gotta give and those children will suffer because their parents are so self centered.

You can tell when Jolie is holding the kids that there is a disconnect.

I would die if my child called someone else “mum”

My husband and parents come from a South East Asian culture in which nannies are normal. Yes, sometimes one nanny per child — and not because mom is out working all day, but because it is just part of the culture to bring in different people to become “family” to the child. I don’t know about the Jolie-Pitts, but for my parents and husband, “nannies” were definitely part of the family — not seen as hired help, and were often called “big sister”… As for the “Mommy” — also in our/their culture, it is not abnormal for one to call a close family member such as an aunt or uncle, or close family friend some version of “mom” or “dad.” Of course the child would use a different version for his/her actual parents. I think that both instances reflect a culture that values the saying: “it takes a village to raise a child.” The Jolie-Pitts seem like a family that is trying to work into their own family culture various other cultures (obviously). I was born and raised in North America and watched my two parents take on the sole responsibility of raising my brother and I — no nannies, no extended family (but I do call family friends Auntie and Uncle even though we are not blood related). My husband and I are now raising our children in North America, and honestly, the way we do it here (in general) is very isolated from the way people raise children in other countries. I am not saying which way is better. There are evidently advantages on both sides. The fact is that every culture is different. Maybe, the Jolie-Pitts are trying to raise their children a different way, and maybe we should not judge them through our North American lenses.

I wondered who were the people that believe these tabloids now I see. AJ has talked about her nannies , teachers assistants etc. She mentioned that one was from Asia one from Africa another from Belgium etc in 2008 VF. there were pics of the ASian nanny in Italy on the balcony

i called my nanny mummy every time so i don’t see anything unusual about it. My parent don’t mind because at the end of the day i still love them. :)