Kaitlin Olson On Pregnancy, Home Birth & Breastfeeding

Kaitlin Olson On Pregnancy, Home Birth & Breastfeeding

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia star Kaitlin Olson, who is currently expecting her first child with costar Rob McElenney, can’t wait to meet her baby boy later this month. In honour of World Breastfeeding Week, the 34-year-old actress – who is planning a home birth with the help of a doula – recently chatted with Best for Babes about her pregnancy, her desire for a natural birth experience and her goal of breastfeeding her son.

“I’ve actually had a delightfully easy pregnancy,” says the soon-to-be mom. “I was lucky enough to not have any morning sickness, I worked all through my second trimester and half of my third with lots of energy, and I’m just now (at 9 months) starting to feel like I need to slow down and rest a little more.”

Kaitlin, who has decided to welcome her baby boy in the comforts of her own home just as her own mother welcomed her, says she is “incredibly grateful to have access to Western medicine” but “[doesn’t] think that childbirth is a medical problem that needs intervention unless there is a complication”:

I decided on a home birth because I believe that as long as a pregnancy is normal and complication-free, your body knows what to do and does not need medical intervention. I think the key to having a baby naturally is being able to completely relax and get out of the way of your body’s ability to get the job done.

She admits, however, that her decision to give birth at home has come with “a lot of mixed reactions”.

“Most of our friends have been very supportive because they know us well enough to know that we are the kind of people who do our research and make informed decisions,” she explains. “The people who panic and think we are crazy are the ones who haven’t done any research themselves.”

“I don’t blame them though,” she adds. “We aren’t really taught much about childbirth and labor in America. On TV and in movies, most of what you see on the subject are women screaming in pain and a lot of emergency c-sections. The fact of the matter is that countries whose standard is for women to deliver their babies at home with midwives have the lowest complication, intervention and infant fatality rates.”

As far as pain relief tactics, Kaitlin has been “practicing hypno-birthing for several months now”: “It’s basically training yourself to completely relax on command, allowing your uterus to do its job without tensing up in reaction to the pain, which just slows everything down. It also really focuses on eliminating fear, and I’m learning a lot about the correlation between fear and pain. When you’re scared, you tense up. That’s no good.”

“Instead of being afraid of powerful contractions, I’m trying to focus on being grateful for them, because it means the baby is closer to being born. I also am using a doula who will be there to remind me of all of these things when I forget because I am in horrible pain,” she adds with a smile.

Kaitlin also spoke about her desire to breastfeed: “Yes, I’m definitely planning to breastfeed! I just simply think that breast milk is the very best food for a baby. It’s also free. And takes no preparation or heating up.”

When asked how she plans to combat any breastfeeding issues, should they arise, she responded with confidence: “You know, I’m just not really entertaining the option of a backup plan. I have lots of people in my life who have done this before to support me and really wonderful, knowledgeable professionals I can go to which makes me feel confident.”

“Mostly at this stage when I start to have doubts, the best thing I can do is remind myself that my body was built to do this, and if I run into trouble I have a lot of options.”

Kaitlin and Rob, who were married in Calif. on September 27, 2008, announced the pregnancy in March.

Filed under: Expecting,Kaitlin Olson

Photo credit: Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

1. Anonymouse

Exactly! Very refreshing to read this…if only more women viewed pregnancy/childbirth and nursing this way.

2. Renee

I love her! she’s so funny and i love them as a couple, can’t wait to see what their little man looks like! I hope she can actually make it through the drug free birth like she wants!

She will , just as I did, also at 34. I had a long labour with the baby dragging an 8 inch umbilical cord every step of the way. An OB would have had me and the baby for lunch, after a C section. My doula and midwives let the event unfold as it should, even when I was ready to head for the hospital.
      Both my boys are now proud school agers who occasionally say they were born in our house.

3. Vanessa

Great interview! Praying her homebirth goes exactly the way she wants it.

Loved this article. What a intelligent woman. So refreshing.

So so refreshing to read, and beautiful, so truthful. I am a birth doula and to hear she was born at home and she plans a home birth is amazing. Celebs are human, like the rest of us and well…They can be down to earth and intune as well.

That is some crazy Carol Brady hair she’s sporting.

research? she hasn’t done any research! if she has, she would know that while homebirth are associated with less maternal intervention, there’s a significantly higher rate of neonatal death! this was a huge publication of yrs of compiled research data! i hate it when celebrities speak like they know medicine. you can be in control in a hospital. and in the rare event your baby can’t breath, there’s someone on hand with over 15yrs of intense medical training, and i’m not speaking about the doula! get educated, don’t listen to celebrities. know the risks of homebirths! it’s not about what you want, it’s about what’s safe for your baby, that’s a good mother!

I have to say that I am definitely pro-homebirth. My son was born and we lost him cause of complications that our doula didn’t detect and everything was healthy and the doctor gave us a total okay cause I was healthy and so was the baby too. My sister told me about that research thing you were talking about, and for everyone else out there, it was like on cnn and every major health news channel last month. I really wish I knew at the time. I was thinking like if Cindy Crawford would do it, then I could. People who give birth at home need to be educated. the ones freaking out are not crazy, they’re scared. and trust me, I wish I had been more worried. if i was, i would still have my little boy who would’ve been 7 last week.

Just to clarify – your doula is not supposed to detect ANYTHING. That’s not her responsibility, nor should she have made you understand that? To detect problems is the place of doctors and midwives.
        Most people who give birth at home ARE educated – much more educated than people who blindly give birth in hospitals assuming that all medical personnel will do everything in your best interests with no thought to their own arse. :-)
        I’m sorry you lost your baby. Guess what? My sister lost her baby too — in hospital!!! It’s not a guarantee that having a baby in the hospital will produce a healthy baby, let alone a live baby.
        Babies die. It’s a fact of life. To assume that the place of birth is the culprit is mindnumbingly uneducated.

I’m pretty sure you mean you’re anti-homebirth.

Huh? Doula’s are not medically trained in any way. They are merely labor support persons. Me thinks your story is made-up or you are grossly uneducated on the topic of birth.

I’m sorry, but that “publication” was fronted and paid for by people who are trying to find any way possible to prevent midwifery from taking hold, and who think the only way to birth is in hospital. Perhaps it isn’t “publications” we should be looking at, but rather the STATISTICS. The USA has one of the HIGHEST infant mortality rates in the industrialized world, and our maternal mortality rate isn’t that hot either.This correlates with less than 1% of babies being born at home. So where are they dying? In hospital!
      The Netherlands which has the highest homebirth/midwifery attended rates in the industrialized world has one of the lowest perinatal mortality rates.
      Just because we have the tools and the OB’s and the c-sections, doesn’t mean we’re doing something right.
      Midwives are also properly trained to do infant resuscitation at home. Worst case scenario? Transport to hospital.
      The homebirths that “go bad” are often the ones that are unplanned, and unattended. Or worse, planned with no attendants.
      There have also been MANY studies (independent studies with no kickbacks to hospitals/pharmaceuticals/OB groups etc) that have proven that planned homebirths for low risk healthy pregnant women, attended by fully trained midwives is JUST AS SAFE, if not safer than a hospital birth.
      I suggest, respectfully, that you not believe everything that comes off CNN as gospel truth. There is more to the matter than you seem to understand.
      (from a Lamaze certified childbirth educator, DONA birth doula, and mom of 4, one of whom was birthed at home)

• Sage

hmmm. Free Birthing is only dangerous if you are an idiot. 90% of free birthers are high education on the subject of birth and we know when something is wrong. The hospital should only be used for emergencies NOT normal birth.
        as a “dona” trained doula you are trained to dislike free birthers. Yeah, we know this. Please keep your opinions to yourself about Free birth.

( from a student midwife and momma of two free birth toddlers and planning the 3rd free birth)

OMG! I know the article you’re talking about, my husband read it and gave it to me. I think we need to look at medical data rather than personal experiences and opinions. I’m expecting my baby in December and we’re doing it intervention free in a hospital with a doula and our OB who I <3.

The link you provided doesn’t work unless you’re a member of medscape.

However, if you’d like to read an investigation of that study and how it is skewed, please read:
      She does an excellent job of taking the studies that the article uses, lists them separately with the results of those independent studies listed. There were some serious flaws and that will come to light in the very near future as well.

Babies have only been born in hospitals for the last hundred years or so. Prior to that (150,000 years give or take), pretty much born at home or in a field.

Good for her! I have had 5 homebirths that were all great. I also breastfed for a combined total of 10 years.

I just want to say one thing about that article. Any researcher knows that you will find data to prove one way or the other whatever you want it to. Science is not an exact field and I really wish people would understand that. That article that is being toted as fact has also had many critics who point out flaws to the way the data was studied and the conclusions that were drawn. Maybe you should look at the one major study that was actually performed by the Canadian researchers that show the opposite. These Canadian researchers had a lot to say about the author of this other study who used their research.

13. Carrie

Love these two together! I hope she has a great labor and delivery…no matter what. I planned on no medication but that went out the window as soon as the contractions started! haha As long as there is a healthy baby at the end of it then it doesn’t matter how he’s born.

LOVE HER!! She is a wonderful actress and is going to be an even better mama!! Way to go Kaitlin!!

That’s fine and dandy…but lets hope she doesn’t have back labor. There is no way to relax and “be grateful” for them. Those contractions feel like someone is slamming you in the back with a sledgehammer.

It’s so nice to read this! I wish there were more out there with this mindset of birth….more like this who do their own research and ask questions! Not just reading one random articular on the subject, or believing someone who has no idea what they’re talking about! We need less ‘tools’ out there that follow what everyone else it doing with out even questioning it and doing some studying up on it! I agree, don’t listen to celebs….but you need to freaking educate YOURSELF…if you did, you would know most people who home birth are ‘good mothers’ according to your classifications of one: “it’s not about what you want, it’s about what’s safe for your baby, that’s a good mother!’) Oh, and to the last comment on here I have to say, I was able to have a all natural, beautiful, amazing, and peaceful home birth with some pretty intense back labor. They are ways to relax through them & natural pain control for them as well(i.e compression, heat/cold packs, bath). You just have to try. It’s comments like that that put down and scare others who want to have a natural birth weather in a hospital or at home. Everyone is different, so just because you can’t do something doesn’t mean the next person can’t as well!