Salma Hayek: Valentina Doesn’t Believe In Santa

Salma Hayek: Valentina Doesn't Believe In Santa

Despite her best efforts, Salma Hayek-Pinault reveals that her daughter Valentina doesn’t believe in Santa Claus.

“No matter what I say to her, she just doesn’t buy it, and she’s 2 1/2. I refuse to give it up,” the Grown-Ups star says. “I say, ‘There is a Santa Claus,’ and she says, ‘Okay, Mommy. In pretend world, right?’ She really doesn’t believe. There’s nothing I can say to make her believe in Santa Claus.”

The gorgeous actress says she hasn’t given up hope just yet. By the time Christmas rolls around she’s hoping little Valentina will have had a change of heart.

“I’m hopeful that she’s too young to believe in Santa Claus and, in a year or so, she’ll believe in it, especially because it’s always a great tool for blackmail when you say, ‘If you don’t do this, Santa Claus isn’t going to bring you anything.’”

Filed under: Salma Hayek

Photo credit: INFDaily.com

1. Francesca

Wow…great parenting tools

2. Peta

“‘Okay, Mommy. In pretend world, right?’ ”

Smart little girl. Hope she’ll keep on avoiding the Santa Claus kool-aid.

3. Francesca

Yes…that WAS sarcasm

What about the Easter bunny, tooth fairy etc…?

5. Franki

She is a smart little girl! I’d definitely leave it at that — if she doesn’t believe in Santa, I wouldn’t force it upon her. And I know that I would not use Santa as an incentive to get my DD to behave properly! I would like to think that my daughter will behave accordingly because that is what I expect of her, not so she receives presents!

• HLBronson

I agree that Santa/presents shouldn’t be used as a threat to get a child to behave properly. However, if you think your toddler is going to behave simply because that’s what her mother expects of her, then you are a fool. Either that or you will have the most well-behaved toddler that ever roamed the earth and you should win some sort of super-mom award!

I hope she stays just as skeptical when people start trying to push religion on her. The world needs more kids like this.

She’s trying so hard to convince her daughter that there IS a Santa and then 2 years from now she’s going to have to tell the poor little girl that she was, in fact….lying and there is no such thing after all. Makes no sence to me AT ALL. Way to mess with a little kids mind!!

You’d tell a 4 year old that there is no Santa? I feel sorry for your children/future children. Your kids will probably be the ones telling my sweet daughter on the playground in first grade that Santa is really your Mom & Dad. Sad, really.

Why would you WANT your child to believe a lie? What intellegent, thinking person would try to convince their child [who already has a concept of what is real and what is make-believe] that their logic is incorrect? You’re teaching this child to believe in SANTA, but not in herself?? That is so silly!!

Oh jeeze you’re so right. Why are we not teaching children this in school. You know, some kids have needed counselling for the rest of their lives because they found out Santa wasn’t real. On top of that, any parents who teach their children about Santa are pathological liars. Their children will also never know that lying is wrong. God help this world.

10. mslewis

I don’t remember ever believing in Santa and it didn’t disrupt my life!! My parents always said children should never be lied to and I don’t believe they ever lied to us.. Of course, some parents got a bit angry when I would laugh at my little friends who talked about Santa bringing them presents. I thought it was the silliest thing and would tell them so. So, no, I think this Santa thing is just ridiculous and has nothing at all to do with what Christmas should be all about.

I completely agree. My parents were never big into the whole Santa thing and I’m glad. It’s silly really – that everyone is just expected to ‘play along’ with it. Just because you want to make up silly little imaginary stories to tell your kids doesn’t mean I have to as well.

Just because a kid believes in Santa doesn’t mean they get spoiled rotten every Christmas.

11. Cabos

Well, i don’t believe the story to begin with . Salma, just like Angelina, Katie, and Gisele are always making comments about their kids to make it appear like they’re these special out of this world geeks.

I love how people think when celebrities talk about their kids like their the most amazing kids in the world it’s something so weird. What parent doesn’t talk about their child like that? And about the Santa thing, it’s just a fun part of childhood. People these days are so uptight about everything, who care if she wants her kid to believe Santa? It’s a fun thing to believe in, and don’t worry it her world won’t come crashing down when she finds out it’s not real. Honestly what parent hasn’t lied atleast ONCE to their kids.

I hate parents who gloat about their children like they are the next Einsteins. And it’s usually the ones with the dumbest child in the neighbourhood.
        It’s one thing to be proud of your child and think of them as the most amazing thing ever. But the brag-book that some parents carry around with them 24/7 is the most grating thing ever.

12. Cabos

Valentina is too freaking young to even believe in Santa! let alone not believe. She’s too young to understand what it stands for, the context of it. So i don’t get why you (and Salma for that matter) would believe how bright she is for not believing in something she doesn’t even understand what it is.

This story is ridiculous.

Cabos
    Well said. What I want to know is does she think her mom’s breasts are real?

i would never rob my kids of such a magical notion! i don’t want my kids to be some kind of cynical brats!!!!

15. Peta

Somehow I don’t think a child’s world is going to crash if they know from the jump that it isn’t not some fat guy shimmying down a chimney who gave them their presents. I never believed Santa was anything more than a fictional character, and I never had a less magical Christmas experience nor was I some brooding cynical brat. I had my family around me, I had gifts and I had plenty of fun helping my family prepare for the day. What more could a child possibly want to enjoy a holiday? People kill me with this ‘they need to believe in Santa/Tooth Fairy/Easter Bunny/Insert Mythical Creature Here for the sake of their childhood’ stuff.

16. Lisa S

I don’t see the big deal either way. For me, Santa was a part of my childhood that I liked. When I realized that he wasn’t real, it was not an earth-shattering moment. The only upsetting part about it was when I realized I really would never get that Playdoh set I wanted.

If my child didn’t believe in Santa, though, I think I’d just leave it alone.

17. Lisa S

If my child didn’t believe in Santa, though, I think I’d just leave it alone.

This whole story is pretend-world. Salma is always making these ridiculous “Then Valentina turned to me and said in fluent Urdu, “Its because of the WTO that these people starve mummy” type comments. I am sure Valentina is as magical and special and spectacular as Suri. Gag.

It’s o.k. for kids to believe in Santa? Maybe for parents who can afford gifts. What do you tell the poor kids that don’t get anything? Or the kids with parents that only buy them socks for xmas? Do you tell them they were bad so Santa didn’t get them what they wanted? The whole myth around Santa and most stories about him drill into a child’s head that they have to be a good boy or girl or else.

That’s very true. What happens if you have no money to buy your kids xmas presents and they go to school and see everyone else with new toys? Do you tell them they weren’t good enough? ‘Santa’ doesn’t love them as much as the other kids? Speaking from experience…… It’s heartbreaking.

My parents didn’t have the money to buy me presents at Xmas. But I got them year round when they did have money and I enjoyed being completely surprised to find a present after coming home from school. That was worth so much more than waiting for one day a year and already knowing what I would get. Plus, I got to go to the after Christmas sales and pick whatever I wanted and I got tons more because of the sale. Didn’t hurt me one bit!

20. Santa Claus

Since you have repeatedly referred to me by name, I thought I would respond. My legal name is Santa Claus, and I’m a full-time volunteer advocate for millions of vulnerable children. Perhaps, Salma can direct Valentina to TheSantaClausFoundation dot org and let her have adequate information upon which to decide whether or not Santa Claus exists. I think many parents who choose to tell their children that Santa Claus does not exist will have a tough time when their children realize that Santa Claus does, in fact, exist. Regarding the ‘religious’ aspect: the name Santa Claus is derived from the Dutch Sinterklaas which refers to St. Nicholas. I am a Bishop and Monk, as St. Nicholas was many centuries ago, and believe that Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ, not the crass, commercial, secular spectacle it has become in many places, and that the greatest gift one can give is love, not presents. The Feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated on December 6th in many countries, and that is the time for Santa Claus. Blessings to all, Santa Claus

The Bible is silent when it comes to the date of Christ’s birth. The fact that shepherds were sleeping outside at night would be silly if they had to sleep in snow. It was not until several hundred years after Jesus lived on the earth that people began to commemorate his birth on December 25.
      December 25 was chosen because some who later claimed to be Christian likely “wished the date to coincide with the pagan Roman festival marking the ‘birthday of the unconquered sun.’” (The New Encyclopædia Britannica) In winter, when the sun seemed weakest, pagans held ceremonies to get this source of warmth and light to come back from its distant travels. December 25 was thought to be the day that the sun began its return. In an effort to convert pagans, religious leaders adopted this festival and tried to make it seem “Christian.”
      Because of its unscriptural origin, Christmas was banned in England and in some of the American colonies during the 17th century. Anyone who even stayed home from work on Christmas day had to pay a penalty.
      No amount of tweaking it will take away the fact that “Christians” are celebrating a pagan holiday. I would have thought a bishop/monk would be well aware of this.

i never believed in Santa either…it’s just…a obese man slides down your fireplace..mine had glass over it by the way…and only comes when everyones sleeping…allllllriiighty then.

I don´t believe in Salma Hayek! Seriously quoting a 2 and half year old saying “ok mommy, in a pretend world” is just too disturbing.

I figured it out for myself when I saw a two santas near each other. My mom never lied to me about it which I’m thankful for. I’m the kind of person who would wonder what else I was being lied to about. Then I got older and did the research on all the holidays myself. I have to agree with Drew Carey.

Ha…I never believed in Santa Clause either..the fact that there is fat man climbing into peoples home leaving packages under the tree seemed quite frightful and a bit ridiculous…I think it’s just a sign of intelligence