Elin Nordegren Breaks Her Silence: “I Never Suspected, Not A One”

Elin Nordegren Breaks Her Silence: "I Never Suspected, Not A One"

Elin Nordegren has broken her nine-month silence. In a candid interview with People, Tiger Woods‘ ex-wife says, “I’ve been through hell,” describing her humiliation at learning of Woods’ serial cheating, her decision to move forward as a single mother, and the infamous Thanksgiving 2009 car crash – the night her marriage began to dissolve.

To begin, Nordegren says she had no idea that he was cheating and she was “blindsided” by the affairs.

I never suspected, not a one,” she says. “For the last 3½ years, when all this was going on, I was home a lot more with pregnancies, then the children and my school….I felt stupid as more things were revealed — how could I not have known anything? The word ‘betrayal’ isn’t strong enough. I felt embarrassed for having been so deceived. I felt betrayed by many people around me. … Initially, I thought we had a chance, and we tried really hard.”

She then spoke of the “emotional roller coaster” she’s been on since last Thanksgiving night. She says she did not attack Woods or cause him to drive into a tree as he left their Orlando home.

“There was never any violence inside or outside our home,” she says. “The speculation that I would have used a golf club to hit him is just truly ridiculous. Tiger left the house that night, and after a while when he didn’t return, I got worried and decided to look for him. That’s when I found him in the car. I did everything I could to get him out of the locked car. To think anything else is absolutely wrong.”

Ultimately, she decided to divorce Woods despite his public apology and attempts to win back her trust. She purchased a home in her native Sweden and, according to some reports, got as much as $100 million in the divorce settlement. She and Woods will share custody of their two children, daughter Sam, 3, and son Charlie, 1.

I have been through the stages of disbelief and shock, to anger and ultimately grief over the loss of the family I so badly wanted for my children. I am now going to do my very best to show [the children] that alone and happy is better than being in a relationship where there is no trust,” she says.

The 30-year-old mother of two, who is studying towards a college degree in psychology, says that despite her ordeal, “I also feel stronger than I ever have. I have confidence in my beliefs, my decisions and myself.”

She credits her children, family, friends and therapy with helping her through the turmoil. She tells of her sadness on one particular day after leaving her husband. “I wasn’t crying, but I was thinking and was sad.” Sam asked her: “Mommy, where is your boo-boo?”

“I smiled at her and said, ‘Mommy’s boo-boo is in her heart right now, but it will be better.’ She looked at me and said: ‘Can Sam kiss it and make it better? Or maybe popcorn will.’”

Nordegren says forgiveness is the next step.

“I know I will have to come to forgiveness and acceptance of what has happened for me to go on and be happy in the future,” she says. “And I know I will get there eventually.”

Filed under: Elin Woods

Photo credit: People

1. alexa

she is such a strong woman – finally you can move on – elin you rocks!!! you are an amzaing mother – wish you all the best for the future…

This article was great. It is so awesome to finally hear her break her silence and tell it how it really is. She is an inspiring woman because she didnt stay with a man who deceived her beyond repair. I recently went through a similar situation not quite so bad but a failed relationship where I put up with alot more then I should have for the family I wanted for my son and I. It doesnt always work out as you have it planned in your head and although she wont have to worry because she has a ton of money it still is a really sad situation and I know exactly how she feels. Glad she was able to come out and talk about it. Made me feel alot better hearing how someone else is dealing with it in such a positive way.

3. Janna

Why does she feel humiliated?*SHE* didn’t do anything. Anger, I could understand, but humiliated? I just don’t understand why people take on that emotion and act like it’s their fault somehow. This “man” was a serial cheater. He went to great pains to deceive her and hide his other life from her and others around him. He’s an emotional rapist and he willfully destroyed her life. That’s not her shame, it’s HIS.

Stay classy, Elin. You have NOTHING to feel embarrassed or ashamed about.

I can completely understand, it’s not be useful or her fault in any way, but these emotions are completely normal. I’m kind of surprised you’re upset by it. She thought she had this wonderful family, and the man she trusted turned out to be untrustworthy. I think I’d wonder how I didn’t notice anything, no matter how well he hid it from me, self-doubt is quite prevalent and normal. Allowing her to feel that way and then realizing it’s not her fault is great but the emotions are normal. To say otherwise is a bit harsh.

I think it is more than obvious that the night Tiger crashed his car, Elin beat the crap out of him. Had the roles been reversed, the silence would not be so strong and the man would be in jail. Betrayed, sure. But given she was a NANNY to a pro-golfer before marrying Tiger and had no real career she gave up only to live a life every girl dreams of, I do not feel as sorry for her as I do for the woman who has to struggle to make ends meet when divorced. I am sure the caliber of whores Tiger shacked up with is the most embarassing part for her. Nice payday, Elin. Now go away!

Meow!

Wow, that was horrible. Elin is a strong woman and we as women should stick up for her. However, just because she was a nanny, that does not mean she deserved to be treated like this. I hope if the roles were reversed and this was you, you would want compassion as well!!!

Honestly, if I married a professional athlete I would expect him to cheat. Almost all of them do and I think it is naiive to go into a marriage thinking otherwise. Many many women have to go through what she did with far less “security” once they decide to divorce. I am sick of people calling her a strong woman. Strong women are women who have to deal with the death of a spouse or child and not a cheater with a big pay day.

• annonymous

That’s really offensive to men. You sound like those man-haters, “all men are evil” “all men have no morals” “all men don’t care about other peoples feelings” “pro athletes men are NEVER family men”. You need to work on you self and your negative unwanted thoughts about men. When will you man haters start thinking nice thoughts about men? or is it just the negative? Maybe that’s why so many of you man-haters marriages fail because you suspect cheating at the begining of the marriage just because he’s a man. Sicko!

5. Meghann

According to the person who spent time with as well as interviewed Elin she has been in college the whole time she has been with Tiger. Elin is a woman with self-respect, class, and dignity which has been shown throughout this ordeal.

Humiliated because she had no clue what was going on.

“.I felt stupid as more things were revealed — how could I not have known anything?”

Both Elin and Tiger say She did not hit him with golf club, the witnesses at the scene , the police say there were no injuries consistent with being hit with a club. This is gossip BS. IMO. You don’t feel sorry for her? Did you feel sorry for Sandra Bullock?

There were no witnesses at the scene. The neighbors showed up after the accident and did not witness anything beforehand. Tiger lied for her. Her story made no sense. You don’t bash in 4 windows on a car to try and get someone out, in fact you aren’t even supposed to move someone in an accident at all.

He had injuries to his face and there was not only a police investigation, but an investigation by social services as well. This would not have happened if someone didn’t say something. She attacked him and got away with it. Now she’s bringing even more embarassment to her children by publicly dissing their father for cash.

Both of these people are bad human beings and the children are the only real victims.

• BobaFett

Oh just get off your high horse!
        I don’t think you can say anything about Elin being a bad human being unless you know her personally.
        And like you said, there were NO witnesses so how is it that you “Master Detective” come up with these conclusions even though the police didn’t? You must be psychic, good for you.
        He had injuries to his face? He did crash his car, didn’t he?

No I do not feel sorry for Sandra. When you marry someone with the reputation Jesse had, you are either foolish to think you will change that or just plain stupid.

8. O.A.O

Why do men cheat? Interestingly, they are the same all over-irrespective of race, religion and occupation. I wish more women had Elin’s courage. I wish more men would learn to appreciate their wives and keep their eyes and hands off other women. What is it with men and extra-marital affairs? Are there still faithful men out there? I wish Elin the best. I hope she recovers quickly, so she can forgive that Tiger and move on with her life. There is no need carrying such trash into the future.

why do single women have affairs with married men?? The main reason men cheat ( not tigers case I don’t think ) is after years of marriage women stop wanting sex.

Elin is nothing more than a criminal who beat her husband and got away with it. If she was a man, no one would feel sorry for her. I hope she doesn’t do the same thing to one of her children one day when they shame her.

• Carmen

Tiger should be glad that she did not castrate him because that is what a dirty cheater and serial liar like him deserves!!!

THANK YOU! I am sick of everyone feeling sorry for her. if it wasn’t so taboo for a man to be abused and Tiger would have told the truth, she would have lost custody of those kids and would probably be in jail….like what would happen if she was a man!

11. Carmen

“ELIN NORDEGREN BREAKS HER SILENCE” This is the 2nd best news I have heard since this scandal began, the 1st being that Elin Nordegren was finally free from the despicable Tiger Woods!!! Elin Nordegren is a woman true to herself and there is no money that can buy the dignity, self respect, courage and moral principles of a true woman!!! What Tiger Woods did to Elin Nordegren was criminal and coward! I believe that Elin has a right to tell her story to the world since she and the children are the only true innocent victims in this horrid ordeal!!! I highly commend Elin for her courage and determination to come public!!! She is truly and really an inspiration to all the decent women around the world!!!

Carmen

Cmon she’s a gold digger. The only thing commendable she did was to not look the other way for a lifetime like too many women do

GOLDIGGER? Are you serious? She is an intelligent woman from a good family with career plans to study psychology who worked for a brief stint as a nanny, as thousands of swedish, american, australian etc women do every year. AND being a nanny does not mean you are some serf. Grow up. Its more important than hitting a small ball into holes with a metal stick.

14. Cabos

Geez come on people! Strong….well, ok, maybe, but again, with that load of cash she got who wouldn’t! I’d call strong those women who got nothing and still get the balls to leave their cheating husbands.

15. Audrey

If both parties claim no one was beat, I see no reason NOT to believe them. As for golddigger, I doubt it. Is there a special class that someone should come from to be eligible to marry Tiger Wood? I don’t think so. Obviously he could have have many women to pick from (he did dally with plenty) and he chose her freely. But as a man, he really screwed up.

16. Lisa S

I love that Sam suggested popcorn as a way to make Elin feel better. I would get along great with her.

17. hooher tod

Yes there should realize the reader to RSS my feed to RSS commentary, quite simply