The defendants have been discharged,” Neil Braithwaite, Chief Counsel in the Office of the Attorney General, announced Monday morning from a courthouse in the Bahamas. “Mr. Travolta is no longer interested in pursuing the matter because it has caused his family great emotional distress.”
The two defendants were charged with trying to extort millions from the Travoltas in return for keeping an ambulance waiver secret on the day Jett died.
“I am grateful and appreciative of the dedication, hard work and support provided by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions and the Royal Bahamas Police Force while handling matters associated with the attempted extortion that targeted my family in January of 2009,” Travolta told TMZ in a statement.
“Throughout the investigation and prosecution, my staff and I remained fully supportive of all requests for assistance from law enforcement representatives even though this cooperation was at a great emotional cost to my family,” he added.
“Unfortunately, in early October of last year the first trial of this matter resulted in a mistrial. Almost a year later, the long pending status of this matter continued to take a heavy emotional toll on my family causing us to conclude that it was finally time to put this matter behind us,” Travolta said. “Therefore, after much reflection I concluded that it was in my family’s best interest for me not to voluntarily return to The Bahamas to testify a second time at trial. We are thankful to the people of The Bahamas for the friendship, love and support they provided to us during this matter.”
Preston, 47, and Travolta, 56, are expecting another boy later this year. Their new addition will join 10-year-old sister Ella.