David Arquette: How We Told Coco About The Split

David Arquette: How We Told Coco About The Split

In his surprising tell-all interview with Howard Stern about his separation from his wife of 11 years Courteney Cox-Arquette, actor David Arquette also shared how they broke the news of the break-up to their daughter Coco, 6.

We went to a beach and had a picnic. [I] explained to her that we’re grownups, and a lot of the time when grownups are growing up, they need to figure out their lives. … Sometimes that takes each other having a little space.

She said, ‘Are you guys getting a divorce?’ I said, ‘No, We’re not getting a divorce, we’re just taking some time apart to get to know ourselves better and get to know what we want out of our mate better.’”

David and Courteney announced their separation earlier this week.

Filed under: David Arquette

Photo credit: GSI Media

children are often the victims during this difficult time in their lives. I can’t imagine how my son would feel if my husband and I will separate…so sad

2. Danielle

If it was Ashley and Pete Wentz then that example would be understandable as they were quite young and hadn’t known each very long. But at David and Courtney’s age this seems a lame excuse to shag around.

I love gossip as well as the next girl but come on going on Howard Stern and giving details of their sex life and now sharing how they told their daughter is crossing the line. I can see exactly why she probably wants to be away from him.

He’s such an immature idiot. That poor little girl will now be privy to all these details through schoolmates.

5. ruby

I wish kids Coco’s age didn’t even know what the word ‘divorce’ meant.

Actually……I kinda find David and Courtney’s honesty refreshing. People are so used to being shady with each other that when a couple acts in a realistic manner, people freak out. I also kinda think the gossip/scoop sites are ticked that he went to Howard Stern rather than give them an “exclusive.”
    It SOUNDS to me like David and Courtney are handling this situation like ADULTS. And yeah, David may be immature, BUT it takes a pretty big person to explain something so delicate to a child in such a sweet way. Why do we know about it? Hell, why do we know ANY of this?
    AND, how many of you actually HEARD him on Howard?
    Guarantee you hear worse things everyday.