Gavin Rossdale On Daughter Daisy: “It’s More Like A Friendship”

Gavin Rossdale On Daughter Daisy: "It's More Like A Friendship"

Gavin Rossdale says he feels more like a friend than a father to his 21-year-old daughter Daisy Lowe. The musician found out Daisy was his child after taking a paternity test in 2004. Ironically he was her godfather while she was growing up and regularly spoke with her mother Pearl Lowe, whom he had a brief relationship with.

In an interview with Details magazine he explains the difference in parenting Kingston, 4, and Zuma, 2, his two kids with wife Gwen Stefani.

With the boys it’s traditional. I’m all they know and I’m with them all the time. With Daisy, I don’t know her in that context. The way I nurture those boys, I never got a chance with Daisy. I love my connection with her, but I don’t have any say in who she is. With the boys it’s my job to correct them and shape them. With Daisy, I just have to be respectful. I suppose it’s more like a friendship.”

When asked who does diaper duty at home, he says “Whoever’s nearest, really.”

He adds, “We have good people around us. If there’s no one there, I can do it, but otherwise I sort of slide away—I get very interested in my BlackBerry at that point. A friend once told me, ‘By the way, they never thank you for changing their diapers when they grow up, so don’t sweat it.’ I thought it was good advice.”

As for explaining the paparazzi to Kingston he says, “We haven’t found the words to explain it. I’ll want to take my kid to the beach, and there’s six grown men chasing us. He’s running around in his underwear as every child should, and I have to go up to them and say, “Can you not photograph my son running around in his underwear?

“The pictures show up anyway. He went through a really angry stage. He’d scream at them, “Get away! Don’t take a picture of my mom!” They’d say, “Wow, Kingston’s really moody.” You’re a (expletive) grown man running after a 4-year-old! What do you want him to do?”

One surprising admission is when Rossdale speaks about his romantic relationship with pop star Marilyn in the 1980′s. At the time he wanted to avoid the “glare” of the media.

He said, “I think at the outset there was a sort of fear – that was right at the beginning of Bush, and I didn’t want it to be part of it. It felt like a cheap shot, so I was like, ‘I’m not getting involved.’

“I’ve never wanted to appear closed about it. It’s not something I’ve talked about really because it’s always been in the glare of a tabloid world. It’s just one of those things – move on.”

Filed under: Gavin Rossdale

Photo credit: Pacific Coast News

Its kinda sad he’ll never had that father/daughter bond with her, but at least he is her life in some way.

2. Er

I hope this doesn’t come off as offensive, but Gavin had no clue that he could have possibly fathered Daisy? He had a brief relationship with her mother, and 9 months later Daisy was born. It’s not like he didn’t know Pearl became pregnant if he would go on to become Daisy’s godfather. Even if Pearl lied to him and said it wasn’t his baby, a DNA should have been performed, 2004 is a tad delayed in my opinion. Come on.

And Daisy looks so much like him and Kingston, but with different coloring. I just think it was convenient for him to be a “godfather” rather than question things and then be saddled with paternity.

• Shirilicious

The chances were 50/50 that he is the father or not. The girl’s mother lied to him, he chose to believe her. And as far as I know DNA tests weren’t common in the 80′s.

3. Erica Ann

I’m shocked he had a gay affair

What was he supposed to do, hound her for a paternity test? Pearl admitted multiple times that she told Gavin that Daisy wasn’t his. Add to that the fact that some other man was the one who raised Daisy, I don’t see why Gavin would question it – when someone tells you it’s not your kid and then has someone else raising her, you really think someone’s gonna go “oh maybe she’s mine after all!” No way.

Everyone has known that Gavin experimented when he was younger; it wasn’t a “gay affair” if you’re not with someone and cheating on them. It’s just a gay relationship, and most guys play around and just refuse to admit it.

He’s kind of creepy to me.

7. Lin

Why wouldn’t Pearl tell him he’s the father?

8. Louise

I am a fan of both G+G, as musicians, parents and a couple. Have always suspected the rumour about Marilyn had an element of truth to it, but did not think he would lie about it to his fans.
    For me, the timing of these revelations is more questionable than anything, and i hate to say that as it sounds so cynical. (Bush reunited, new album and tour, etc). I just hope to god Gwen did know about it prior to the revelations, despite what has been reported in the media- i’d hate to see them end over something in his past.
    As for the Daisy saga, Pearl as much as admitted it was down to her that he did not suspect he was her father, i’m sure i remember reading at the time that she lied about the due date or something, sure i read it in a daily mail interview. but he wasn’t blindly following what she said, the dates did not match up so in his eyes Daisy simply wasn’t his, and Daisy and Pearl have both stated he had a close relationship with them both until he requested a paternity test, and i’m sure he wouldn’t have chosen to do that lightly, knowing the repercussions.
    I feel sorry for him. And Gwen. And i wish them all the best