Cher Opens Up About Her Miscarriages

Cher Opens Up About Her Miscarriages

The legendary Cher is back in the new movie, Burlesque, co-starring Stanley Tucci and Christina Aguilera. In a new interview with Parade in support of the film, she opens up about her relationship with the late Sonny Bono, and her miscarriages.

Cher reveals that before the birth of her son Chaz in 1969, she’d suffered four miscarriages.

“I lost four kids before Chaz. It’s a spontaneous miscarriage, something that spontaneously aborts the fetus. It’s called an angry uterus. It took a long time for someone to tell me that that’s what it was.”

When Cher became pregnant with Chaz, her doctor gave her strict orders. “When I got pregnant with Chastity, my doctor said, ‘In the beginning you have to stay in your bed, and then as it gets to be three months, you can get up but you have to stay in the house. I don’t want you riding in cars, I want you to stay at home.’ I did.”

She went on to describe her “difficult delivery” with Chaz. “With Chaz, I had a really difficult delivery, and then I hemorrhaged after I came home. It was touch and go.” However, the difficult delivery and pain from the miscarriages didn’t stop the arrival of Chaz from introducing a change into Cher and Sonny’s life. She adds, “Chaz brought a new element into our marriage. I was a mother now.”

Burlesque opens on November 24.

Filed under: Cher

Photo credit: Fame Pictures

1. Sarah G.

My Grandmother had a lot of miscarriages. I had no idea Cher suffered any. My heart goes out to her. I can’t imagine having one, let alone four.

2. courtney

in those days they weren’t talked about like they are now. god blessed Cher with Chastity and she realizes that. many big stars of her era had them and are only openning up about them in recent years

3. Mack

Your refusal to refer to Chaz by his preferred name is really rather offensive.

Awww, Cher. I love her. This is so sad!

And please refer to him as Chaz. That is his name name.

I don’t think its offensive. When Cher gave birth, it was a “her,” who was named Chastity. The majority of the article is talking about Cher giving birth to her, and since Chastity was her name was she was born, this is really the only accurate way to word it.

6. nosoupforyou

What’s wrong with her face?

7. Jenny Schafer

We’ve changed the post.

ya, but the thing is, no matter how pc you want to be, the fact of the matter is that Cher did not give birth to a son named Chaz. She gave birth to a daughter named Chastity. Whatever has happened since then is one thing, but a fact is a fact and so the post is now incorrect.

I agree. I’m probably the only one, but this infuriates me to no end. Its still misleading. Cher gave birth to a daughter, not a son. I guess I’d rather have correct information than be PC.